Okay, I've Got To Brag A Little

con struct

Platinum Member
I've been invited to play at this year's Atlanta Jazz Festival. I didn't submit anything, didn't talk to anyone about it, didn't give it any thought, really, but the other night the program manager sent me the email asking me and my band to play.

He said he'd heard my tunes on my Myspace music page and I guess that did it. Nobody in this city knows who we are, we never play anywhere because we do all original material and that material is, well, a little weird.

We'll be playing on the main stage. Other artists include Marcus Miller, Christian Scott, Stanley Clarke, Spyro Gyra, Jason Marsalis and I forget who else.

Yes, I'm a little nervous. This just came out of the blue.

After this dreary winter in this dreary city where jazz is basically a nonentity I actually have something to look forward to, a real concert stage with a real grand piano, professional sound and lights, where my band can play my songs in front of a thousand or more people. And the money's great!

I'm still trying to figure out what's really going on here. Stuff like this doesn't happen. I mean, I haven't been active in the music scene for a long time. My profile is way low. I don't exist anymore, really. I'm retired, for goodness sake.

Anyway, sorry. Just had to brag.

Last edited:
I've been invited to play at this year's Atlanta Jazz Festival. I didn't submit anything, didn't talk to anyone about it, didn't give it any thought, really, but the other night the program manager sent me the email asking me and my band to play.

He said he'd heard my tunes on my Myspace music page and I guess that did it. Nobody in this city knows who we are, we never play anywhere because we do all original material and that material is, well, a little weird.

We'll be playing on the main stage. Other artists include Marcus Miller, Christian Scott, Stanley Clarke, Spyro Gyra, Jason Marsalis and I forget who else.

Yes, I'm a little nervous. This just came out of the blue.

After this dreary winter in this dreary city where jazz is basically a nonentity I actually have something to look forward to, a real concert stage with a real grand piano, professional sound and lights, where my band can play my songs in front of a thousand or more people. And the money's great!

I'm still trying to figure out what's really going on here. Stuff like this doesn't happen. I mean, I haven't been active in the music scene for a long time. My profile is way low. I don't exist anymore, really. I'm retired, for goodness sake.

Anyway, sorry. Just had to brag.

I'm wicked jealous, and you have every right to brag! Flaunt that!!! What date(s) is it going on!?

Congrats :)

I'm wicked jealous, and you have every right to brag! Flaunt that!!! What date(s) is it going on!?

Congrats :)

Thank you, Jessiah. We're playing on Saturday, May 29 at 3:00. The fesitval is held over Memorial Day weekend. It's one of the biggest in the country, they say, and it's an Atlanta tradition, our way of kicking off the summer.

Last edited:
Hey Con Struct,

WAY COOL!

tear it up, and post vids if you take them!

C. P.

Thank you, Pete.

Look here, guys and gals. It looks like Myspace actually works. I don't remember ever talking to this guy, but he found my Myspace page. As I said, I'm not even trying anymore, I thought all that was behind me.

So y'all get yourself on there, put your stuff up there. It works!

I hear a rumor that Kenny will be in town and wants to sit in on your set.

Awesome, Jay.. let us know how she goes!

Marcus Miller? STANLEY CLARKE!!!! That is fantastic news, Jay. I wish you and your group the best. Seems our greatest heydays on this earth rise from some of the most dismal.

Refreshing to know that "a little weird" is still in demand, somewhere. Congrats.

haha ofcourse myspace works, but only for artists with talent. congrats on getting the gig, it sounds awesome!

That didn't come off as bragging to me...

Congratulations on the gig and I wish you and your band mates to enjoy yourselves! : )

that is truly amazing! my bands have *never* been contacted by anyone about a gig through a myspace page. there must be 18,000 bands in atlanta for god's sake! where is this myspace page? i gotta hear this music!

(...) I'm still trying to figure out what's really going on here. (...) My profile is way low. I don't exist anymore, really. (...)

And you say you have no idea they want you? Aren't you the sexiest drummer alive ;-)

Attachments

• Photo132.jpg
    Photo132.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 231
Back