DW collectors Cow Finish__and some inguiry to all:)

Uncle Niskas

Hello!

This is Uncle Niskas commin' from Poland / Europe:) I wanna say "hi" for everyone in this forum____:) a few words about me___i play drums for over 15 years; i have played a lot of bands, projects in my country___but at the time most of my playing is funk, reggae, folk, ska __band called "Swinka Halinka" in polish\in english "The Pig named Halinka"___well known funniest polish ska, reggae band.
I had a lot of drumkits __there was Peace's, Yamaha's, Pearl's etc. but for around 5 years i'm a huge fan of a DW :) ___my first DW kit was 12, 13, 16, 22 Black Oyster collectors___which was sold__and then i bought a kit that i'm playing today (for over 1 year) ____huhhh... :) so, take a look___i hope you enjoy:)

l_f9ca62dead8039372c36c6e0cc6c38f3.jpg
<br>

l_301300f5b28d51345cc5b264fd12d149.jpg
<br>
l_267a8ab84dcc06554811bfcbe2233bd7.jpg
<br>
1..jpg
<br>
8..jpg
<br>
5..jpg
<br>
6..jpg
<br><br>
a few of a live shots:) <br>
l_82756301125d7b5f78d22ae285166709.jpg
<br>
l_da5976c898c9d9d021d9a12bacc9b83b.jpg
<br>
l_3f309bde9d6bfb988b37c82c3c88e569.jpg
<br>
l_2a9eb01049e8dcfbc8f35a9d33cd3d6a.jpg
<br>

Specs:
DW collectors Cow Finish
8", 13", 20" x 16"
Yamaha Maple Custom 14"x5,5"
Pearl Steel Picolo 13"x 3,5"
Zildjians
12" remix hihat
13" a/z hihat
6,5 zil bel
17" a cust projection
19" a cust projection
20" k custom ride
20" oriental china trash
Vic Firth 5a sticks
Boss DR550 metronome
DW5000 double bd pedal
Hardware include all of drum companies:):):)

And now i have some huuge question__i'm tryin to order some add tom's tomy kit__at dw they've told me that this Cow Finish is not continued anymore... they told me also that i can order some Natural Finish an then refinish it to Cow :) so, did you know some company or some person in USA which can refinish some drums to cow finish?
Also for about the year i didn't saw ANY cow finish dw'son ebay... maybe you have some ???:)

Greetz from POLAND
Best Regards
Uncle Niskas
www.myspace.com/niskas

That set kills me, I Love it. I have ony seen one other cow finished kit and that was a drumkit of the month in Modern drummer a few years back, with an udder suspended from inside the kick drum.

As for seeing any cow dw's, I haven't, but refinishing a couple toms to match should be quite easy. Order Plain, natural unfinished shells from DW, (With Hardware to match yours) Paint them a high gloss oil base white, Stencil in the cow spots, then paint those a high gloss black. Finish the set with several coats of high gloss polyurethane laquer. Put the hardware back on after it's dry. from a few feet away. no one should be able to tell the difference.

There's a couple of really handy spayers over at ghostnote.com with full on spray rigs. You could try asking them...

As for the kit! It's bloody fantastic! I love the finish... has to one f my favourites I've seen, due to the tongue-in-cheek nature of it and it's simple 'elegance'... if cowhide can be called elegant.

Sizes are great, albeit slightly small for my liking. 10" & 14" toms would really do it for me.

You sure DW won't custom finish a tom or two for you? If not, wouldn't this make them simply a mass-production company....

I didn't realise DW did finishes like that, I genuinely would love that kit. Do you get a lot of attention because of it?

Tom

So are the drums a wrapped finish? I would definitely order a natural finish tom from DW and get someone to paint to match. I know someone said this already, but go cruise the ghostnote.net website, I'm sure you can find someone to match the drums. It's a cool set and I really like your band name "Swinka Halinka", it's got a nice ring to it.

I think both Drumfoundry and RockenWraps apply custom designs to wraps. I may be wrong though. If they do (and if your existing drums are wrapped) I'd go this route instead of painting the shells.

Ha, this I call a authentic finish!
But I hope it`s not a real cow... ;-)

Really nice set-up, I love those good old 4-piece set-ups. How is the small 8" rack tom working for you? How are the toms tuned for the music you`re doing?

Karl

Yo:),

This is Uncle Niskas again ! :)
Really THANKS for your's opinion ___and all suggested ideas bout the refinishing:) ___i'll write to them all and will take some pricing from them :) cause - as i said - i come fro m Poland and have one cost more - it's the shipping cost to USA.

Regarding "DW is custom" :) i wrote a few months ago with them - they reply very quickly, but told that they can do all them Flames, Skulls, Stripes.... but can;t make simple Cow;) funny but ... are they really "CUSTOM"???

For all "Swinka Halinka" fan here - please check out our site (temporary myspace) ___there are a few vids with this Cow Finish :) i hope you enjoy :)
www.myspace.com/swinkahalinka

drumbandit Re: DW collectors Cow Finish__and some inguiry to all:)

I didn't realise DW did finishes like that, I genuinely would love that kit. Do you get a lot of attention because of it?

Tom
Yes - the finish is just perfect for the band i play with - band is extremly funny, named Swinka Halinka - in english: The Pig named Halinka:)

Asdex Re: DW collectors Cow Finish__and some inguiry to all:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow! What a kit! Cool finish! Anyways, what are remix hihats? Are those zildjians?
Yes - 12" remixes are one of the best that i ever hear - they are small, quick, not too loud, and much darker than for ex. 12" a cust. or 12" a's SR.___and they are zildjians but from the 90' don't know what are these hihats today in zild.
Drummer Karl Re: DW collectors Cow Finish__and some inguiry to all:)

Really nice set-up, I love those good old 4-piece set-ups. How is the small 8" rack tom working for you? How are the toms tuned for the music you`re doing?

Karl
Karl - when i bought this kit i just take some few days more attention for practicing around the kit:) ____but after few gigs __i use this normally, any problems__believe me_these drums just killin' sound really huge:)

BTW___some pics of my previous Black Oysters:)
1.jpg

g4.jpg

some combined kit :)

a.jpg

my cats___on my drum:)

g.jpg

l_3718dbccfa84e3d9df1c1ee54444b1c4.jpg

l_633868e7d6a2800f14595cfc9f546438.jpg

Greetzz
Best Regards
Uncle Niskas
www.myspace.com/niskas

Such an awesome kit!! To me, it sounds perfect (watching your you tubes). That's exactly the sound I try to achieve with mine. Now that is my opinion, but your drums sound absolutely wonderful. I enjoy different styles of music and your drums fit in perfectly with the style. Your snare drum sounds great too!! The 8" tom sings and the other just keep on going. So nice!!

Love the kit!! Love the sound!! Man, you got it!!

I love the finish, never seen anything like it. It looks amazing!

That is very, very, very cool and original!

The COW drumset!!! YES!! Any chance the DW "Born On" date is from 1999 or so?

If so, I know where this kit originated, as I was likely one of the very first drummers to play on it.

Basically, this kit was custom built and sent to be the "Stage" kit for the PigglyWiggly stage at Summerfest 1999 in Milwaukee WI. My band played that stage on 4 of the 11 days and I used that kit on each of them, including opening day. After Summerfest, it was sent to Cascio Interstate Music in New Berlin, WI --- where they sell all the Summerfest stage kits.

I wanted to purchase it, but they were asking a bit too much... If this is the actual kit, it's amazing to see that it's now over in Europe!

Back