Don't do that!

M

Mike_In_KC

Almost started this with so...

A neighbor stopped me today as I was getting home early from work. Dude is already drinking a beer - it was 1:00 p.m. and a weekday... I know not the worst thing to do and I have also done it before - but this guy lives with a beer in his hand... Anyway I digress.

He tells me he overheard our jam session this weekend and had heard me playing on another occasion- he walks his dog by my house every day, so him over hearing me is not a creeper thing. He went on to tell me he played drums when he was a kid and asked if he could check my kit out. He has been in the house before and is a trusted if not some what annoying man. In hindsight I am not sure why I agreed to let him see my drums but the word hubris comes to mind. I lead him to the basement where my "studio" is and showed him my kit. He kind of walks around it a little, taps gently on the crash cymbal and is obviously wanting to hit them. I broke the tension and offered him to have a go at them - grabbing my sticks and offering him a pair that I have not used (a me thing). Now for the fun part. Dude sits down on the throne - SETS HIS BEER on my floor tom. I interrupt him before he starts playing and ask him to set his beer can on the floor. He kind of spasmodically agreed and put the beer on the floor. He then "played" what is best described as a 20 second grand mal drum solo. He quickly gets up and sheepishly explains that he is rusty... We head upstairs and I lead him out of the house. Before he leaves he tells me he may get a kit and that we should talk shop and hang out more often.

UGH

Ha, good story......

Of course you know that everybody can the drums. Just ask them.

Was it a good or a bad "20 second grand mal drum solo" ??

I guess it's a personal thing. I put stuff on my floor toms all the time. If a head has been on the tom long enough, it probably already has beer/blood/sweat all over it anyway.

I guess it's a personal thing. I put stuff on my floor toms all the time. If a head has been on the tom long enough, it probably already has beer/blood/sweat all over it anyway.

Agreed - I can put whatever I want on my drums.... I object to others using them for tables however and just think it reflects a lack of decorum... I would not think to set a beverage on another drummers drums.

Yeah, don't put anything on my drums or my amplifiers or my loudspeakers. I'm kind of touchy like that. These things make noise and items are known to vibrate off of them and onto the floor creating a mess.

Anyway, if you'd plan ahead and installed a beer (excuse me, beverage) holder on your kit, this wouldn't be an issue.

It could get worst Mike.He might ask you for drum lessons,in exchange for him buying beers for both of you.That sounds like a real party.:)

Steve B

I have a small desk next to my kit for this exact reason. To me this is the same thing as finding someone leaning on my car. I know it probably isn't going to hurt anything, but it is mine to lean on, not yours.

I place drinks on speakers, tables, etc. and they still eventually vibrate off the table and stain my carpet. Need a screw on drink caddy like stick one. Or you can get one of those drink hats with the tubing straw-I think it sounds perfect for your friend if he doesn't already have one. LOL>

A beer? At 1pm?? In the afternoon???

Well, knock me down with a feather........The sheer horror!! Are you aiming for the latest round of inclusions into the Temperance movement?

That aside, yes, beware of the muppet who "used to play the drums". He's also often found at gigs asking to "sit in for a song or two". And again, usually with beer in hand...........so please prepare yourself well in advance for this shock to your teetotalling sensibilities. :)

If you don't want this guys walking in on your jams you better figure out a way to end this relationship before he gets to familiar with your space.

It's your fault for not having one of these (I can't drum without one) ; )

Attachments

• gigscsdh.jpg
    gigscsdh.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 415
I think that you should have told him that you had to be somewhere and you were running late. You should have then jumped in your car and left for a few hours. That would have eliminated the unpleasant experience.

I think that you should have told him that you had to be somewhere and you were running late. You should have then jumped in your car and left for a few hours. That would have eliminated the unpleasant experience.

Yeah, you could have gone to the pub for a few cold ones!

+1......it would have been worth the time away!

That said; you are a good man and a great(!) neighbor for letting this happen. I don't think that I could have tolerated it. And....no beverages near the drums please! :)

Agreed - I can put whatever I want on my drums.... I object to others using them for tables however and just think it reflects a lack of decorum... I would not think to set a beverage on another drummers drums.

ditto.
My drums, I do what I want (except things that will actually damage them)

Back