Are 13" toms obsolete?

Personally, I haven't owned a 13" tom in almost 20 years.

I recall in either 1991 or 1992, being in on a dealer meeting with a very big company, and they said their focus was to eliminate the 13" from as many shell packs as possible because the demand for 13"s just wasn't there.

So people have been predicting the end of the 13" for a long time, and yet it still holds on.

I currently own 3 kits that sport a 13" tom.
I have always liked the 13" tom.
I have kits that use a 12" tom also. I have no problem with them either.
I have a vintage ludwig kit that uses 12" and 13" high toms along with 14" and 16" floor toms.
I love that 6 piece kit!

Last edited:
I have fusion sizes at home and 22/13/16 Ludwig Stainless Steel for my gigging kit. They work great in their respective places and I like being able to tune the 13 and 16 a bit higher to get some extra projection (as if the stainless needs any help). If I ever find a 24" stainless steel kick drum, I'll have to buy it and use it instead, but for now, that 14x22 is the punchiest kick I own and it works really well with the slightly larger (for me) sizes.

Regarding the shell packs, Anton Fig and Allen Schwartzberg started with the 10/13/16 tom configuration and I thought that was really unique back in the 80s. There was such a separation between tom tones. That was very cool. I'm surprised that configuration never really took off.

That's also what David Garibaldi uses. If I could redo one of my kits, I'd go that route as well. His newer PHX in this config sounds amazing live.

Do folks think a 10" 14" racks and 18" floor is bananas? I have two cutaway premier marching drums 10&14 that I have put gibraltar tom holders on. Cos most of the shell is cut away they sit really low over the bass drum which looks amazing! I also have an 18" floor tom. I haven't got round to testing it out, and I hope it sounds ok!? Any predictions??

My first kit featured a 13 inch tom back in 1964 so I would never discount the 13’s. I just sold a kit that had 8,10,12, and 13 along with a 16 inch floor. Currently my two kits have the 8, 10, and 12. I will say the drums sound great at these sizes and the more compact size makes for an easier setup. They are very easy to play too. Would I go back to a 13? You bet, say 13, 16, 22.

I have a 13 (x9) on all my kits. I sometimes use a 12(x8) instead, but always go back to that 13.
I haven't had any issues with a 13-16-18, OR, a 12-16-18. They both sound great.
I'd like to see traditional tom depths come back more. I've had each depth up to 3" over the diam, and the good ol' 8x12, 9x13, 10x14 sound, react and translate over PA systems the best to me.

I've got an old rockstar kit that's supposedly in some type of "fusion" configuration. It's got 10x8, 13x10 and 14x12 toms on it.

Admittedly, I never use the 13. I only ever play with one rack tom, and the 13 just doesn't make sense when the "floor" tom is only 14. Maybe I'll pair it with a 16 and see if I like it, but I think I'd rather use a 12...

13 is my fave tom ever, my fave combo is 13-16-22.

13 is the Goldilocks tom - not too big, not too small'

+1 My 13" tom is here to stay. My primary kit is 13-16-24. "Lucky 13" for life. The only hurdle the 13" tom has to face is if we are forced to go metric. 33.02 centimeters lacks a certain ring to it.

Three pieces, whether I play a 4 piece or a 5 piece kit, have always been a part of every drum kit I've ever personally bought; a 22" bass drum, a 14" snare drum, and a 13" rack tom. I hope they don't become obsolete. I have no problem tuning my 12, 13, 16 configuration. "Do you see what I see", right LarryAce? That's all you need to know.

Sir! You´ve hit the head of the nail... My high-tom is 13" and I love the warm sound of it.

13 is my fave tom ever, my fave combo is 13-16-22.

13 is the Goldilocks tom - not too big, not too small'

I really want a 12x9 13x10 14x12 16x16 18x16 24x14. I really like those slightly deeper toms and the shallow bass drum. The toms have more projection and the bass drum has more punch. It would also allow for multiple setups jazz rock grunge metal all covered!

I currently have a 10x8 12x9 16x14 22x18 Silverstar kit and I really don't like the 10x8 tom. That depth and diameter just doesn't work for my band situation. It gets lost in the guitars tuned high or low. With the larger deeper drums I find I can tune a little higher yet still get some nice body out of them so that they are louder and can sit nicely in the mix. That's my preference for playing louder rock. Also, I tuning my bass drums ever so slightly higher than most folks again for loudness and cutting through the bass a bit more.

If you guys want these sizes so badly, there are a million companies ready to make you Keller drums in these configurations.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of using a 13" and 15" set of toms for an Orbinated setup, but I went with a 12" on my stave kit to match my 10" a little better. Though, since I use the 12/15 a bit more, I've noticed that my optimum interval between them (perfect 4th) results in either a little too high floor tom or little too low rack tom. C'est la vie...

I'm waiting for power toms and hanging floor toms to make a comeback:D

Amen!

My current above bass drum rack consists of square sized 8", 10" and 12" toms and they are the rockiest, biggest and loudest bunch Ive ever had. Beat any 12,13 and 14 combo Ive had previously.

I think its down to the shells, head selection and the music you are playing. Current pop / indie music seems to lend itself to 12 and 13 single tom up top and a 14 and or 16 floor all coated. Plus thats the fashion.

However, in my old farts prog rock band, you need an 8" tom to cut through the fat analog keyboards and ridiculously over processed chorusy guitar sounds and muddy middy bass guitar:)

Back