Smaller sized toms?

I have both big and small toms, but find myself using 8, 10, 12, and 13's more than my bigger toms.

The set I had longest had 13x9 and 14x10 toms mounted on the bass and a 16x16 FT. I had that set over 30 years, so it was an adjustment for me going to smaller toms. Two sets now - one has 8 and 10 up, 12 " FT; and the other is 10 and 12 up, 14" FT. Big difference ha ha.

But I really like them now, and the old style toms seem ridiculously huge now. I'm thinking of making a small bass drum out of my old floor tom. Small toms are easier to play and carry, but I don't get near the deep rumbling thunderous sound from them. The trade-off's worth it though for me.

Last edited:
For some time I played 8", 10", 12" and 14". I added a 16" floor tom and mostly don't play the 8" anymore. But the 10" and 12" are my two favorite toms.

8-10-12-14. I like a 5 piece kit and at the moment I'm not using the 8". I would like a 16 ft in place of the 14 so I guess I like small rack toms.

Just for balance, I'll chime in with - I don't care for toms smaller than 12". I used to have a 10/12/14/16 set up and rarely used the 10". Smaller sizes are fun to play on for a while but to me their voices get easily overdone and don't work so well for "everyday" use, if that makes any sense.

I'm sure it's because of the kind of music I play and the way my brain is hardwired to hear things.

Just for balance, I'll chime in with - I don't care for toms smaller than 12". I used to have a 10/12/14/16 set up and rarely used the 10". Smaller sizes are fun to play on for a while but to me their voices get easily overdone and don't work so well for "everyday" use, if that makes any sense.

I'm sure it's because of the kind of music I play and the way my brain is hardwired to hear things.

I'm curious, how do you tune your drums, rather high or low ? And what type of music to you play? :)

The toms in my Pearl kit are 10/12/14, and I like them like that. My other kit has two toms 12/14. Peace and goodwill.

I play 10, 12 and 14 ft - can't stand massive drums they are hard to set up comfortably and way more hassle to carry round!

In fact I almost never use a 12 as a "first" tom, it's always the 10 and then the 14 and THEN the 12 last of all.... until I get my 16" floor tom that is lol

I'm curious, how do you tune your drums, rather high or low ? And what type of music to you play? :)
I tune as close to the middle of the drum's sweet spots as possible. That is to say a fair bit above JAW and a fair bit below a tight jazz tuning. I play pretty aggressive rock with drum parts that border on the busy side. I like as pure and natural a drum sound as possible with tom tones that run from the mids down to the lows.

For me, the highs offered by smaller toms lack the heft I like. An 8" tom to me is what Neil Peart starts his big descending rolls with. Sure, you can tune them down to get them out of that range, but then volume gets lost and that pitch bending tone becomes more prominent. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I'd rather keep a larger size tom and just tune the head tighter.

Set I will never sell ( will go in to the grave with me one day) is my L.A. Camco, 24 kick, 13, 14 and 18x18 floor tom. Sound beutaltiful as violin.

But next set I an waiting for is a hollow log trunk drum set from Elm ( now we talking true soild shell) is containing 8, 10, 12 toms and 14 ft.

That must be a hugen differnece go from Camcos ´70 sizes , down to Antonio fusion sizes. I hoppe it will not make me a problem.

Last edited:
I play my kit as a 4 piece. 10" rack, 14" floor, 20" kick and 13x6.5" snare.

121211drums.jpg

My ideal setup is 10-12-16. I like high rack toms and big floor toms. Not really a fan of 13 & 14 toms, not because I dislike the sound, but because when I've had those I found myself wishing that they were higher or lower, respectively.

For my drum n bass project I'm using my 10 & 18 toms with a 24" kick. Heaps of fun to play.

My ideal setup is 10-12-16. I like high rack toms and big floor toms. Not really a fan of 13 & 14 toms, not because I dislike the sound, but because when I've had those I found myself wishing that they were higher or lower, respectively.

+1 !!
That's what I feel as well, only for some reason I really enjoy my 8" tom, it sounds incredible. I tried setting my kit up with the 10" 12" 16" instead of 8" 10" 14" and I felt the drums were huge haha.

Indeed it is.

My house was built in 1860, during the civil war. Unfortunately someone decided to paint the stone walls in the basement, white. You aren't supposed to paint stone. It needs to breathe. Very nice pic you got.

For my drum n bass project I'm using my 10 & 18 toms with a 24" kick. Heaps of fun to play.

See, you guys all think l'm crazy with the Arctic Monster, but I have one of each on there, so I don't have to pic favourites. Kind of like a harem of drums. :)

Back