Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin

Few questions if I may. How often do you use rhythmic illusions when performing live? I know they're very cool sounding, but tougher to execute live and probably 90% of listeners don't even realize what's going on. For example that main 7/8 rhythm in Cheating the Polygraph, you're playing it in 3 different ways through the song (maybe even more). Or perhaps Halo live version (middle 17/8 section), do you always play quarter notes on the HH, or do you rather go with eighth notes (since it's way easier to do). Are you totally strict considering rhythmic illusions and play live versions the way you played them in studio?

Sorry for buggering you with these questions, maybe I don't comprehend the level of your playing and you don't see this as a challenge. :)

And yes, I don't think that any drummer has made such an impression on me, as you have. Thank you for that.

Hi asmodeus,

What I mean is, that we were so concentrated on playing in time and not making any mistakes, that some of the articulation and dynamics were lost. I wanted to ask if you have faced similar problems and what your approach is to be able to perform in a mind setting where you feel "free" and confident you are not going to make mistakes. Do you practice a lot before recording drum tracks? Do you prefer to keep a take that has maybe one or two little mistakes (and maybe correct them afterwards), or do you record as often as it takes for track to be flawless?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. First of all no performance is flawless - under a microscope everything we play is flawed - it just depends on your WOA (window of acceptability). When you start out playing - your WOA is so wide everything sounds great - as you mature and your ears get better you start to hear the things that are falling outside of your WOA. In fact years later (when your window is getting smaller) you listen back to something you thought was great - and it sounds pretty terrible. It's all part of progressing. Sometimes your ears get better than your ability and that's when you start to hear a lot of flaws.

If it's just a question of not screwing up the song - then you need to spend more time really learning the song. If it's timing issues - then you need to spend more time practising with a metronome and really hearing those smaller flaws and being aware of them. It is the start of getting better.

You will feel inhibited if you have high expectations of making it through a whole tune with no mistakes or flaws. It always takes massive concentration. If you're tracking bass - then it's easy to just go in and fix the mistakes - it can be trickier on drums. When I first started making sessions it was usually impossible to fix the drum tracks - no computer editing in those days - it was only analogue tape machines.

Hi Trains,

did you cut the holders of your front splashes ? Sonor dont make them this size , dont they?

Do you mean the cymbal arms? If so - yes I cut them shorter.

Hi Citizen Insane,

I really love your snare sound on the song Deadwing (aswell as the whole Deadwing album in general.) And I'm wondering, what snare/snares did you use? How did you tune them? And what heads did you use?

I used my old Yamaha 14x5 RC 9000 on that track - and probably on a lot of the others too. It had a coated pinstripe on the top and 8 strand Puresound snares on it. I remember on 2 or 3 of the other tracks ("Shallow" being one of them) I used my Noble & Cooley 14x5 black alloy drum. (Same heads and snare wires as the Yamaha). I can't remember the tuning.

Hi Drizzle,

When you search for something like : Futile ,the first post it finds is on page 6

Gavin Harrison here! - Page 6 - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM25 Jul 2006 ... oh my god , i just saw the futile video.... glad you're enjoying Futile - it's great fun to play. ...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...p?t=698&page=6

That's very odd - when I click on that link to page 6 - it takes me to page 6 and I see that text about Futile in the second post. I've a suspicion it could be something to do with different browsers (I use Firefox and Safari and both are fine) - or the fact that I'm on a Mac and perhaps you're on a PC?

Hi miha,

How often do you use rhythmic illusions when performing live? I know they're very cool sounding, but tougher to execute live and probably 90% of listeners don't even realize what's going on.

I use the concepts of Rhythmic Illusions a lot in a live situation. As you described - there's a lot going on in some of the PT tunes.

Or perhaps Halo live version (middle 17/8 section), do you always play quarter notes on the HH, or do you rather go with eighth notes (since it's way easier to do). Are you totally strict considering rhythmic illusions and play live versions the way you played them in studio?

I thought I played that 17/8 in Halo live pretty much the same as the recorded version - with quarter note accents going on throughout that whole section.

Sorry for buggering you with these questions, maybe I don't comprehend the level of your playing and you don't see this as a challenge. :)

Don't worry - I don't feel buggered !!

Oh my god... I meant "bugging". I just looked into dictionary for "buggering". Worst possible choice of words... Sorry for that. ;)

Hi asmodeus,

Hi Drizzle,

When you search for something like : Futile ,the first post it finds is on page 6

Gavin Harrison here! - Page 6 - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM25 Jul 2006 ... oh my god , i just saw the futile video.... glad you're enjoying Futile - it's great fun to play. ...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...p?t=698&page=6

That's very odd - when I click on that link to page 6 - it takes me to page 6 and I see that text about Futile in the second post. I've a suspicion it could be something to do with different browsers (I use Firefox and Safari and both are fine) - or the fact that I'm on a Mac and perhaps you're on a PC?

When I follow the link to page 6 it takes me to page 6 but in my browser the text for Futile is on page 59. So its flipped.
I use Internet Explorer 7 on a PC, one with VISTA and one with XP.
So probably the problem lies there.

Hi Gavin,

You mentioned in a post below that you use 8 strand Snares, how exactly do the number of Snare Wires affect the sound of the Snare, I've asked a number of people before but never been given an answer.

Hope you're well,

Kev

p.s. I had an audition at the Brighton Institute of Modern Music yesterday and for the odd-time signature section used the some of my own grooves and also the 17/8 groove from Halo, the assesor was very impressed with it and he also instantly recognised your name when I mentioned it was one of your Grooves incidently :)

Hello Gavin :)

I have a question about bass drum sound - When micing a kick, do you prefer to use a smaller diameter hole on the resonant side? My S-Class kick is 17.5x20, and i'm using a 6" diameter hole with a reinforcement hoop. I feel quite often like that's too large, and i'm losing some punch and depth to the bass drum sound. I use my Eliminator's plastic beaters on the other side, and a Remo Falam pad. This is the first kit i've owned (and haven't been playing long enough to have experimented much).
img1414dq4.jpg

img1413ck9.jpg

In addition, i'm wondering what to do with the tom arm mount on the drum as well - i recently converted to an ICON rack setup, and i'm wondering if you've run into that situation before - i'd like to have the tom mount clamp accessible in the event that a given venue doesn't have enough room for the racked kit, but i definitely hear a difference in sound with an empty clamp. Some people have recommended removing it and using wood filler (not an option i'd enjoy), others have suggested something as simple as a cork, of sorts. any tips or a nudge in the right direction?

thanks so much, Gavin. You're a huge inspiration of mine (if you can't tell by the pictures), and I believe i can do great things thanks to you!

Hi Drizzle,

When I follow the link to page 6 it takes me to page 6 but in my browser the text for Futile is on page 59. So its flipped. I use Internet Explorer 7 on a PC, one with VISTA and one with XP. So probably the problem lies there.

I know Bernhard is a Mac user - so maybe he doesn't know about this display problem. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hi K.Howden,

You mentioned in a post below that you use 8 strand Snares, how exactly do the number of Snare Wires affect the sound of the Snare, I've asked a number of people before but never been given an answer.

Makes a big difference to me. First of all the Puresound snares make a good difference and because I've cut them down to just 8 strands in the middle - I believe I get more sound of the actual drum rather than a whole load of 'white noise'. The tension of the snares also make a big difference...I guess you'd need to try it.

Hi xopethx,

When micing a kick, do you prefer to use a smaller diameter hole on the resonant side? My S-Class kick is 17.5x20, and i'm using a 6" diameter hole with a reinforcement hoop. I feel quite often like that's too large, and i'm losing some punch and depth to the bass drum sound. I use my Eliminator's plastic beaters on the other side, and a Remo Falam pad.

Yes, I think the 6" hole is too big. I think I have a 4" hole on my DeLight set in the US. Also try to get it nearer the edge a bit more. I really don't like the Falam patch - I just use the black Evans EQPB2 patch.

In addition, i'm wondering what to do with the tom arm mount on the drum as well - i recently converted to an ICON rack setup, and i'm wondering if you've run into that situation before - i'd like to have the tom mount clamp accessible in the event that a given venue doesn't have enough room for the racked kit, but i definitely hear a difference in sound with an empty clamp. Some people have recommended removing it and using wood filler (not an option i'd enjoy), others have suggested something as simple as a cork, of sorts. any tips or a nudge in the right direction?

I would just keep it as it is. It can come in handy (as you said) when you need to make a smaller setup without the rack. I noticed a couple of things from your photos. I would try the bass drum mic - nearer the outside head - in my experimentations it sounded better to me when the Audix D6 was just going into the hole by about 1". Also I really hate having to mount those tom mics right on the rim of the drum like that. I think it really kills the sound of the drum. Try mounting those mic clips on the bars coming from the tom holder (marked in red below) it'll keep the clamps just clear of the drum.
Gav toms.jpg

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin -

I had a few questions on endorsements. First, are you endorsed by Sonor, Zildjian, Vic Firth, etc.? If so, are these exclusive endorsements (i.e. you don't pay for anything) or non-exclusive (you get a discount from the factory price)?

Also I was wondering if these companies approached you once you had reached a certain level of noteriety and offered these endorsements or if you had to actually go out and pursue them yourself?

Just curious, thanks for your time.

I think I missed the transciption for Futile, and since were having some tech. issues, would someone mind putting it up again?

Hi NeuroAxis,

I had a few questions on endorsements. First, are you endorsed by Sonor, Zildjian, Vic Firth, etc.? If so, are these exclusive endorsements (i.e. you don't pay for anything) or non-exclusive (you get a discount from the factory price)? Also I was wondering if these companies approached you once you had reached a certain level of noteriety and offered these endorsements or if you had to actually go out and pursue them yourself?

Yes I endorse Sonor, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Hardcase, Puresound. Here's the way it usually works. If you land a gig with someone famous (but it's one of the first things you've done of note) - they might offer you a trade discount deal if you approach them. If you've been playing with a lot of 'named' artists and have a good profile in the music business - companies might approach you and you might get them for free.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin & everyone.

I´m working on the exercises from Rhythmic Visions DVD, particulary on what you called "master modulation". Well, taking first example, subdivisions in three (i think in 4/4 bar) and differents spacings. When you use, for example spacings in five, you took five bars to complete the pattern, and then get the 1 of the bar again (the resolving point).

Well, my question is... Is this the way to use the exercise on a real music situation, i mean: play the whole pattern?... or may be used one bar for example (more difficult to get the 1 again)?.

Take Care
Gustavo

Hi Kalma,

on the first Photo you have a Laptop.
Is it yours? (nice one ;))

Yes

Do you have a laptop next to your set on gigs?

No

Hi Gus,

I´m working on the exercises from Rhythmic Visions DVD, particulary on what you called "master modulation". Well, taking first example, subdivisions in three (i think in 4/4 bar) and differents spacings. When you use, for example spacings in five, you took five bars to complete the pattern, and then get the 1 of the bar again (the resolving point).

Well, my question is... Is this the way to use the exercise on a real music situation, i mean: play the whole pattern?... or may be used one bar for example (more difficult to get the 1 again)?.

No, not really - the point of that exercise was to play it until it resolves. In a musical setting it's unlikely that it's going to finish exactly where you would like - so you need to be able to cut it off and land back on the downbeat relative to the time signature that you're playing in. There's a chapter on my second DVD (Rhythmic Horizons) that shows this exact method.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin!

I have one big problem: i use to practise in my apartment and - what a surprise - the neighbours complain about the noise. so i put those silencer pads on the drums, which i'm not really satisfied with. they fall off the drums every third time you hit them, sound like shit, don't feel very similar to real heads and still one of my neighbours thinks they're too loud. so it came up to my mind to buy mesh heads and turn my acoustic into electronic drums (trigger, module,...) so i could practise over headphones, have a much better sound and rebound and it would become much quieter. But i fear that in this case the acoustic cymbals wouldn't fit to the electronic (headphone-) drums. do you have any experience/advice considering that?

thanks,
tobi

Hi Drizzle,

When I follow the link to page 6 it takes me to page 6 but in my browser the text for Futile is on page 59. So its flipped. I use Internet Explorer 7 on a PC, one with VISTA and one with XP. So probably the problem lies there.

I know Bernhard is a Mac user - so maybe he doesn't know about this display problem. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers
Gavin

Hmmm - I don't think it's a 'problem' per se - merely the way you have your 'Thread display options' set up. Just go into your User CP at the top left of the page and set your display option to "Linear-Oldest First" and the last page (w/the latest posts) will show up when you select a thread. I think that will put the search function to display the corrrect page (w/no further mathematics invloved)

Hey Gavin....Derek Roddy here.

Looking forward to chillin' at the MD fest with you.

Been meaning to get in touch but.... have been practicing!!! Haha.

Reach out when you can.
Cheers.
D.

Hmmm - I don't think it's a 'problem' per se - merely the way you have your 'Thread display options' set up. Just go into your User CP at the top left of the page and set your display option to "Linear-Oldest First" and the last page (w/the latest posts) will show up when you select a thread. I think that will put the search function to display the corrrect page (w/no further mathematics invloved)

Aah I see ,thanks for the tip.

Hi tobi283,

so it came up to my mind to buy mesh heads and turn my acoustic into electronic drums (trigger, module,...) so i could practise over headphones, have a much better sound and rebound and it would become much quieter. But i fear that in this case the acoustic cymbals wouldn't fit to the electronic (headphone-) drums. do you have any experience/advice considering that?

Sorry but I don't have any experience about that. I know that the cymbals shouldn't annoy the neigbours as long as all the windows are tightly closed. Usually it's the lower frequencies that go through the walls - bass drums, toms etc. If you're going to end up going through a mixer to hear your electronic triggers - then you could put up a pair of overhead mics to get the cymbals mixed in with them.

Hi Derek Roddy (and fellow Sonor player)

great to hear from - I'm excited about seeing you play - and looking forward to hanging out with you at the MD festival.

cheers
Gavin

Back