My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Hello Brothers, Can anyone help me figure out if this Ludwig shell is original or refinished? I bought the set with the intentions to recover it. However, the inside is finished the same as the outside which I've never seen before but could be possible knowing Ludwig. The whole 5 pc set is like finished this way. It is a 70's set according to the 6 digit serial numbers( which are close)and top and bottom mufflers. The edges appear to be a sharp 45 degrees. The badge grommet was tight with a split on the inside. I've posted a few pics. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• tom1.JPG
    tom1.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 702
  • tom2.JPG
    tom2.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 742
  • tom3.JPG
    tom3.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 702
  • tom4.JPG
    tom4.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 693
  • tom5.JPG
    tom5.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 705
  • tom6.JPG
    tom6.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 689
  • tom7.JPG
    tom7.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 697
Allmaple:

My kit is also walnut thermo-gloss with stained interiors. I am finding out this was fairly common for the interiors to be stained.

Here's a few pics of my kit.

Mike

Attachments

• P1010001mod.JPG
    P1010001mod.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 631
  • P1010216mod.JPG
    P1010216mod.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 635
Allmaple, and Miker,...nice kits, but.....my thread about my kit isn't the place for it.

Don't take that the wrong way, but, it should go in the Ludwig Fan thread ....thanks :)

Not taken wrong. FYI...I wasn't trying to hijack "your" thread, just replying to allmaple. The last post that pertained to "your" thread was in September. Just look at as bring new life to a "dead" thread...i.e. more "face time" for you and your kit.; )

Mike

P.S. BTW as a few of the others mentioned the kick head on your kit just isn't happening for me.

Not taken wrong. FYI...I wasn't trying to hijack "your" thread, just replying to allmaple. The last post that pertained to "your" thread was in September. Just look at as bring new life to a "dead" thread...i.e. more "face time" for you and your kit.; )

Mike

P.S. BTW as a few of the others mentioned the kick head on your kit just isn't happening for me.

Miker, I'm glad, I know you were just responding, ..and I just thought it would be better in the Ludwig Fans forum and get more traffic :)

What is it that you don't like??
p.s. you're the second .....

AMAZING. :D

Really like the wrap on this one, and to top it off, it's a Ludwig.

I'm honestly jealous.

And about your reso head, the logo seems a bit cluttered, maybe "busy" isn't a bad word for it. The sponsorships aren't really in the way, my bass drum came covered with stickers on the reso, so comparatively it's better than what I had.

Great set.

AMAZING. :D

Really like the wrap on this one, and to top it off, it's a Ludwig.

I'm honestly jealous.

And about your reso head, the logo seems a bit cluttered, maybe "busy" isn't a bad word for it. The sponsorships aren't really in the way, my bass drum came covered with stickers on the reso, so comparatively it's better than what I had.

Great set.

Thanks for the response. It's funny, people like to make comments, but never back them up? This is the second person who's commented on the reso, but when I asked what it is they don't like, ....they never respond.

I am thinking very long and hard about going just LUDWIG on a white glossy head w/ our band's logo ....we'll see.....

Call me crazy, but .......

the band broke up ......and all this crap is just ....well, ...I'm over it ....I've done the band thing and it's just getting old.

Guys, ...how much do you think my players kit would bring?

Thoughts please ????

Thanks!

the band broke up ......and all this crap is just ....well, ...I'm over it ....I've done the band thing and it's just getting old.

Thoughts please ????

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear this fusssion. You put so much work into this kit. Maybe wait a bit, and you might have a change of heart.

I'm sorry to hear this fusssion. You put so much work into this kit. Maybe wait a bit, and you might have a change of heart.

Thanks ... I doubt it ....I feel I'm "over it" if that makes sense...maybe one day when I'm older I'll pick up a kit to mess with, but until then ...it just seems like something that's taking up space, and not doing me any good 'sitting there'.

That looks awesome and a good deal for the wrap. Where did you purchase it? I have an old radio king set from the 50's I've been wanting to wrap...

Dick Blick Art Materials, ...it's called Sparkle Brite. Really thin, but a great finish. You use it right over the wrap that's present if the finish is decent. You can do a nice players kit for a fraction of the cost.

AGAIN....players kit! :)

Dick Blick Art Materials, ...it's called Sparkle Brite. Really thin, but a great finish. You use it right over the wrap that's present if the finish is decent. You can do a nice players kit for a fraction of the cost.

AGAIN....players kit! :)

Yeah, I'll probably want a thicker wrap since I'm dealing with a classic... I really want the champagne sparkle from precision, but I think it comes out to nearly $400 to do the bass drum, tom tom and floor tom. If go with silver or red sparkle, it's closer to $200 and I just can't justify the additional cost... Yet... Which is why they've been sitting all stripped down for months now...
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Maybe it's just THAT band that you're over. If you get with a great band, with great guys, playing great music, it's a whole different world. I sense a long-term frustration build-up in your post. I know how those bands go.

If drumming is truly something that you feel strongly about, and there's something about playing drums that feeds your very soul (or, at least DID at one point), don't let a band or other musicians tarnish that joy for you. I'd recommend storing your kit for about 6 months to a year, unless you really need the money. I'd hate to see you change your mind about selling your kit that you invested so much time in. I'd urge you to wait to make a final decision about selling your kit until the heated emotions cool off.

Thoughts please ????

Thanks!

Not much. About half what a kit in original condition would fetch. It would be worth it to keep it, I think. Once you restore a kit to anything but its original condition, you've severely compromised its desirability and monetary value in the collectors' market...

Fussion,

If you have any of that wrap left over I have to recover a Ludwig field snare. PM me.

Beautiful job, even if I am slightly biased because red sparkle is my favourite finish ever. ;)

Can't wait to see the finished product.

EDIT: Oop, never mind I guess! :(

Back