German grip, which German?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So who was the German guy that invented German grip?

And the Frenchman who invented French grip?

And the American who invented American grip?

I question everything.

Can anyone prove that German grip was invented in Germany?

Doesn't anybody care about this stuff?

Well I do and I plan on getting to the bottom of it, so everybody out of my way!

I care Larry, so go get 'em!!! I'm pretty sure though it wasn't that German Dr. Grafenberg guy, he was busy with other . . . . ."things". So you can probably cross him off your list.

OK not Dr. Grafenberg.

1 down, a hundred million to go.

I suspect that this grip originated in Poland, and when Germany conquered Poland, I believe they stole the title.

If I can prove this, my mission is to get the name changed to Polish grip.

:p

Doesn't anybody care about this stuff?

Can't say that I do. =\ I mean, knowing the origin isn't going to make me a better drummer....But I'll kindly get out of your way so you can figure it out.

Didn't I hear somewhere that the French grip was banned during the German occupation of France?

The story I always heard was that it was because German timpanists usually played sitting down, and French timpanists played standing up.

The grip likely originated before Germany was Germany, likely back in the days of the Prussian empire. I guess "Germanic Grip" would be a more appropriate nomenclature.

The term "American Grip" is simply used to imply a marriage/bastardization/combination/hybrid of the two extremes.

The term "French Grip" is used due to the practitioner's need for so much butter, cheese, and wine.

I just Wiki'ed German grip. Matched grip came up. There is a reference to using German grip on the bass drum lol. Citation needed?

Ben that is an interesting tidbit. I'll have to see what I can find on that.

The story I always heard was that it was because German timpanists usually played sitting down, and French timpanists played standing up.
There may be some truth to that. I know the French grip was developed for timpani, but I'm not sure about the German grip. One is a lighter touch, the other is heavy handed - according to national stereotype, you can guess which is which ;)

French and German are the names of timpani grips, and the way those things tend to go, each one was probably named by the opposite country, because it was something they hated. I know there's a type of paint that is kind of ugly, and is a real PITA to work with-- French painters called it Prussian Blue and German painters called it Paris blue. They probably did the same thing with venereal diseases.

The first place I ever heard the term "American" grip (which was never a timpani grip) used was in Jojo Mayer's video-- which makes sense. It's an appropriately European thing to a) name an informal, bastard grip after an informal, bastard people, and b) to need to have the thing be made officially OK by giving it a name in the first place.

French and German are the names of timpani grips, and the way those things tend to go, each one was probably named by the opposite country, because it was something they hated. I know there's a type of paint that is kind of ugly, and is a real PITA to work with-- French painters called it Prussian Blue and German painters called it Paris blue. They probably did the same thing with venereal diseases.

The first place I ever heard the term "American" grip (which was never a timpani grip) used was in Jojo Mayer's video-- which makes sense. It's an appropriately European thing to a) name an informal, bastard grip after an informal, bastard people, and b) to need to have the thing be made officially OK by giving it a name in the first place.

OK so timpani predates snare drum then I'm assuming?

Pretty cool theory Todd. It seems very plausible. That might explain French kissing. Germans probably labeled that too, as boring as they are.

I can say that because I'm German.

They are names of timpani grips. Any serious timpanist uses a combination of several grips depending on the sound that is required. Much like what most drumset players do.

Besides orchestral and symphonic percussion there is the military influence.

This photo shows the different grips.

right-grips.jpg

Tympani and snare playing styles dictate the grip styles. I guess these terms have been established apart from drumkit styles of playing regarding grip.

I guess these terms have been established apart from drumkit styles of playing regarding grip.

I believe these terms were in-use long before the advent of the drumset came about. So yeah, they should be based on tympani and snare drum grips.

Larry...I love you...but ....sometimes you over think stuff....kidding......:) be well my friend :)And ...winter is almost over............how great is that?

Steve B

If you ever get a chance to look at the book "the history of Timpani" give it a look. There are drawings of how they carried timpani drums into war mounted on the side of horses.

Back