Early 80's Ludwig Restoration Complete

ChrisCirino

Just finished working on this early 80's Ludwig, Blue/Olive, 6-Ply, Big Beat set-up. This is going to be my main gigging kit so it's not a classic restoration but more of a resto-mod. Both toms have Ambassador X batter heads, Clear Ambassador resos and S-Hoops that I had left over from an old project, top and bottom. 8x12 tom has a Nexus carbon fiber isolation mount so I could use a DW 12.7mm tom arm. Bass drum cymbal holder is the DW SM770S attached to the New Ludwig Axis Mount. And it all fits on a 40"x55" carpet.

Dunnett: 6.5x13 Titanium snare
Ludwig Big Beat: 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 (9x13: Not Shown)
Paiste 2002: 14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" Crash, 19" Crash, 22" Prototype Ride
DW 6000 Straight Cymbal Stands

Attachments

• DSCN0228.JPG
    DSCN0228.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 872
  • DSCN0216.JPG
    DSCN0216.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 856
Super nice job. Great sounding drums, and usually quite affordable.​

I was contemplating the purchase of a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit when I came across this set on ebay for $500. SOLD!!!

This kit is beautiful... Wish I could have seen the "before" pics.
I'm in the process of restoring a mid 70's Big Beat myself.

It was in incredible shape for its 30+ years. Some slight pitting on the rims but all the other chrome was a 9 out of 10. I took them down to the shells, checked the springs and inserts, touched up some small nicks on the bearing edges, polished the chrome and red cortex with some cleaner wax and reassembled. A one day job. Awesome find for $500 considering I was going to spend around $2,000+ for a new Ludwig Classic kit.

When all of the hardware broke on my Big Beat, I replaced it all with more functional or better replacements as well. When I say "all hardware", the only original piece of Hercules hardware left is one straight cymbal stand. Gone are the hi hat stand, snare stand, bass drum pedal, two cymbal stands, tom mount and bass drum spurs. Cheap metal. I replaced the bass drum spurs with OEM spurs and the tom mount is a Rocker mount (more functional) but all the other hardware is Yamaha.

Just finished working on this early 80's Ludwig, Blue/Olive, 6-Ply, Big Beat set-up. This is going to be my main gigging kit so it's not a classic restoration but more of a resto-mod.

I've been playing alot of unmiced rock gigs lately so I wanted something loud but controllable. With the felt strips and unported front head there was too much head flutter. My DWs came with a similar front head and I liked they way they sound and feel so I vented the bass drum head myself by melting six holes in a smooth white ambassador with a section of 1" pipe that I heated up on my BBQ. Got a gig on Saturday night and I am hoping this gets the job done.

Nice job Chris! You did a great job and I love all the mods. We have similar tastes, as I use the DW 6000 stands and like using DW components (12.7 L-arms/mounts). I used a DW "fish" plate that comes on their piccolo toms, and modded a RIMS mount. I too play alot of unmiced gigs, so I try to keep a full bass drum reso. I picked up a 1/2" hole punch from a "diemaker" company, and punch holes in my resos, as needed. Here's a pic of my Blaemire bass drums, with Ludwig hardware, and vented resos. I also use felt strips as needed.

BTW, I really love the AmbX heads on my snares, but haven't tried one on the toms. Can you give me your opinion/results with them on the toms. Also, if you don't like that I've posted pics in your thread, let me know and I will delete them. BTW, killer Dunnett snare!

Attachments

• 6840430182_fce9071c75_z.jpg
    6840430182_fce9071c75_z.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 547
  • 8337107596_c5573df02f_z.jpg
    8337107596_c5573df02f_z.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Mendozart, the pics are great and I've been admiring your Blaemires for awhile now. I've been gigging my all original Luddy 3-plys (13", 16", 24") lately and decided I wanted something a little more manageable and less valuable.

I love the Ambassador X over Clear Ambassador. I've tried every Remo and Evans head combo and I like that one the best. Punchy and deep with good durability. I would play Ambassadors over Ambassadors but they dent pretty easily and these are a great compromise. I've been playing them off and on for a few years and no dents yet. I also like the Clear CS over Clear Ambassador and have been going back and forth between the two lately. I wish they made the Ambassador X in Clear, that would be the ideal head.

Below are a few clips from a few years back when the Ambassador X first came out. They were both recorded on my Sony handicam with the internal mic. The drums are completely unmiced and they seem to cut through pretty well from my seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJAHEHRfjU&list=PL8ECD090553FDFADE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW7r9qND_Gk&list=PL8ECD090553FDFADE

Let me know if that helps you any?

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 534
Gimminy Christmas.....that is a fantastic looking kit; all of them really, but referring to the topic here. I commented on them before. I'm super impressed with that kit.

I have a new Ludwig Centennial in big boy sizes and it is simply powerful and huge sounding.

I think I will go back and get a vintage ludwig after seeing this.

Back