10 great progressive drummers

As for portnoy...I think Awake was his best drumming album. Erotomania, 6:00, etc...but as a band Scenes From A Memory was great, I have a thing for concept albums. haha, well all their albums are great.

Rod Morgenstien - Any Dregs / Dixie Dregs album.

Home, Dance of Eternity, Endless Sacrifice - Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater

Home is the song which got me so into dream theater. Dance of Eternity is an epic. But for the progressive side of MP/DT, erotomania is my favourite.

If talking about Progressive rock drummers. The one I admire more than any other is Bruford. I also think Allan White is a wonderful player due to his ability to play on hit pop type songs. As is Phil Collins.

Bozzio's awesome, but I don't think of him as a Prog drummer. Actually I don't think of the above two that way either.

If we are speaking about drummers who actually help music expand and progress, as opposed to a pop style of rock and roll, I can name hundreds starting from Babby Dodds and Chick Webb through Lenny White Steve Gadd and Vinnie. Amongst many many more.

Of course Tony goes without saying. As does Buddy. Buddy's probably, with Tony, the most progressive drummer of all time.

I can't bear listening to guys that only play prog rock.

It's all about Bill Friggin' Bruford. The minute Prog went from becoming an idiom to a genre, a lot of the magic died. That was about 1975.

Listen to Carl Palmer from ELP early albums, notably "Tarkus" and "Brain salad Surgery"

neil peart = hemispheres, moving pictures, power windows
bill bruford = yes(fragile) , king crimson (thrak, discipline, red)
carl palmer = ELP (tarkus)
mike portnoy = dream theater (falling into infinity, awake, images and words) liquid tension experiment 1 and 2
billy cobham = mahvishnu orchestra, stratus...all is great
jojo mayer = nerve
dave weckl

If progressive was to mean that the art of drums 'evolved' and 'progressed' due to the contribution of an artist,and changed they way they were played thereafter, my top 10 would be:
1. gene krupa
2. buddy rich
3.john bonham
4. tony williams
5.billy cobham
6.steve gadd
7. neil peart
8.dave weckl
9. vinnie colauita
10.mike portnoy
&
11. chris adler...........

I vote for Phil Ehart on the various Kansas albums from 1974 -1980. Their music had a complex Baroque-like style with a southern rock flavor.

I'm disappointed; not much love for Mr Phil Collins. He's a lock for a top ten slot. Foxtrot is full of fantastic drumming.

I'm disappointed; not much love for Mr Phil Collins. He's a lock for a top ten slot. Foxtrot is full of fantastic drumming.

I concur, Watcher of the Skies is brilliance.

YEM

Had to look through 30 posts before I saw Carl Palmer's name mentioned. C'mon guys, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Apocalypse in 9/8...haha, look at my avatar!

Back