Identity crisis or unconscious future thoughts?

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
Hi everyone.
I havn`t been online a lot lately. No internet, learning for my final examinations...however, I know that here are some experienced musicians from the USA.
That`s the reason I`m writing here. I`m asking you for opinion and thoughts.

Since school will end soon (this summer) I have to make some future plans. The actual plan: Studying at university where the pianist of my trio is gonna study. Plans are to become a teacher at school, actually because we don`t know whether we can get along with becoming a professional musician.
Now, and that`s the first inner conflict: I wouldn`t be happy being a teacher. Hey, I`m passionated about what I do. I play gigs, record, practice....to pick the profession of a teacher??? Nah.

The second conflict: I can`t stop listening to the New York cats. Kendrick Scott, Jaleel Shaw, Danny Grissett, Lage Lund bla bla. Oh, not that this would be a conflict...but...I wanna learn this stuff. I want a piece of that sound. This sound, a typical one...not to be found here. I`m currently listening to two Jaleel Shaw albums. Jonathan Blake on drums, Glasper on piano. That`s so typical, so unique, so "urban".
So I consider studying in the USA. Boom. I love the country although I havn`t been there so far, I love the language although I can`t speak it properly and I love the Jazz music culture.
Britt, where are you? Successfully he recommended William Paterson university.

But leaving many musicians and friends here? Trying to make it as a musician in the USA? Haha...really? If I had the chance to decide now, I would do it.
But it isn`t that easy. I`m dependent from a scholarship and failing isn`t an option. For that I would practice and play my bottom off.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Karl

Hi Karl;

we have missed you around here! Good luck on your exams. There are certainly many issues to consider in moving to the US to study; from legal issues such as visas, emplyment authority etc, to just the familial issues of moving to a strange town, state, country away from what and who you know. Only you can decide if that is something that you can handle. Remember, of course, that moving to another country is not like, cutting your leg off - there is a remedy if it too unpleasant and you can always go home if you don't like it.

My thoughts are that life is short and when you have a passion, sometimes, just sometimes, you have to throw caution to the wind and just give it a try. The real question is whether you would rather live the rest of your life having tried and not succeeded or instead, live it always wondering "what if" . . . .

Seek counsel from your friends, reflect on your choices and follow your heart!

Best wishes

paul

Karl, wanting to teach now may not be your first wish, but what a great alternative to fall back on to pay the rent when finding a band, or that next gig. Paul and I were at a John Blackwell clinic Thursday night and his bass player, the famed Jeff Berlin, played forever until his son was ill and the gigging had to take a back seat for a while, so he opened a music school here in our area. All of us at some point or another probably wished to perform at some level. We know your skills are superb, and at the very least your music knowledge would only be enhanced by having a formal music education. Whatever you decide I'm sure you will succeed. Best of luck whichever way you decide.

We will love to have you here in the States Carl. It is a tough decision that you have to make. I hope that it all works out for you.

Many Jazz players are digging the European Jazz music scene at this time. It is interesting to me that you want to come here.

Follow your dream. Move to New York, and become one of the greatest modern jazz drummers of all time.

Just my opinion, do whatever's the hardest, what you dread doing. That's usually the best thing to do. Get a degree in teaching and continue to play. Plan on coming here for sure, just after you get a teaching degree. Make the arrangements as you get degreed. You will likely meet people while you are getting degreed that that will be beneficial to your career. The US will be here for a while. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, especially with a touchy career like music.

Hi,

thank you so much for thoughts.

Hi Karl;

we have missed you around here! Good luck on your exams. There are certainly many issues to consider in moving to the US to study; from legal issues such as visas, emplyment authority etc, to just the familial issues of moving to a strange town, state, country away from what and who you know. Only you can decide if that is something that you can handle. Remember, of course, that moving to another country is not like, cutting your leg off - there is a remedy if it too unpleasant and you can always go home if you don't like it.

My thoughts are that life is short and when you have a passion, sometimes, just sometimes, you have to throw caution to the wind and just give it a try. The real question is whether you would rather live the rest of your life having tried and not succeeded or instead, live it always wondering "what if" . . . .

Seek counsel from your friends, reflect on your choices and follow your heart!

Best wishes

paul

I agree that it is complicated, technically and psychologically. I havn`t been to that great country across the sea, yet. I just watched it, read about it and learned about its ideals and its reality. It`s different. I guess that I should at least visit the USA before moving anything to this environment.
According to this aspect, strangely I felt attracted to the USA quite early. It actually started when I began to get into Jazz music.
As I said, failing and going back without reaching anything isn`t an option.

Many Jazz players are digging the European Jazz music scene at this time. It is interesting to me that you want to come here.

Mh, interesting point you mention here. Indeed, for all the American cats Europe seems to be a very sought-after continent to gig on. In the 50s/60s it`s been a retreat for black Jazz musicians. Today, Jazz musicians earn most of their bread and butter here. And Europe is a cultural and musical fertile soil. Bizarrely, I think of moving to the USA.
Anyway, it might not be bizarre because that`s the place of origin when it comes to Jazz music.

Follow your dream. Move to New York, and become one of the greatest modern jazz drummers of all time.

Easier said than done... ;-) Though it does sound motivating!

Just my opinion, do whatever's the hardest, what you dread doing. That's usually the best thing to do. Get a degree in teaching and continue to play. Plan on coming here for sure, just after you get a teaching degree. Make the arrangements as you get degreed. You will likely meet people while you are getting degreed that that will be beneficial to your career. The US will be here for a while. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, especially with a touchy career like music.

Another interesting thought...that`s what my parents suggest. Continuing to make music while getting a degree. Surely, I don`t want to be the one coming back, without a profession, without a job, disappointed that everything`s gone wrong.
So, maybe it`s not a bad idea to wait until an occasion says hello and shows up.

Still, I`m struggling with myself about that...

But again, thanks so much guys!!

Best wishes from Germany,
Karl

Hi Karl,

I'm going to side with your parents...get the education first. But then, follow your dream. It won't be the easiest thing, but if it's what you want, move to the U.S. and give it a shot. Personally, I moved from the U.S. to The Netherlands many moons ago. I've also lived for years in Italy and a couple of countries in Asia. I risk the wrath of nationalists here, but I've found that every country has it's charms and it's drawbacks. But people are the same the world over. If you want to move to the U.S,, do it. Don't wait to get old then regret not trying. Be reasonable, however...a simple change of geography won't necessarily change your life for the better. That'll be up to you.

Do things in the right order: Education, then risk. Don't be in too big a rush.

I hope this helps.

Phil

I agree with the idea of finishing your studies first. I understand the passion to become a professional musician, but as gruntersdad said: a diploma is a pretty good thing to have when you can't pay all your bills with music.
And something else, which is pretty basic: there's literally hundreds of university study programmes to choose from. If you do not see yourself becoming a school teacher, study for something that you do like!
I take certainty before chance, something that sometimes leaves you wondering "what if..." - but so far it's been good to me.

Back