NDD Take 2 Yamaha Again.... YD9000 this time.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Ok so after not liking the used Yamaha Rock Tour kit I got a couple days ago, it is funny I ended up with another used Yamaha kit. This one is quite a bit different a 1978 Yamaha YD-9000. 13", 14" (not pictured), 18", 24".

I got it Tuesday, but I haven't had time to set them up and play them. They have been sitting in my front room, so today I decided to set them up in there! These things are great! Not sure if I'll keep the Kick Port in there or not though.

IMG_1849_zpsnfvhvxjg.jpg

IMG_1842_zps14mqwqio.jpg

Gorgeous. I can see that set with matching wood hoops on the toms. Very cool.

Very nice score. Bet they sound every bit as nice as they look.

I like that! Perhaps I'm a little prejudiced having a white Yamaha kit too, be it as it may less elegant than yours.

Very nice score. Bet they sound every bit as nice as they look.

They sound amazing. When I got the kit it already had Evans EQ3 Batter and Reso on the bass, and G2s over G1s for the Toms. Odd thing is the 13" and 18" Toms had Coated G2s, but the 14" had a Clear G2. I ended up having an extra Coated 14" G2 around so I put that on so it'd all match. So far is all good, I'm not 100% sure if I like the EQ3 Batter or not, but it'll work for now.

Oh wow! That's a nice kit. I've always liked the natural wood hoops on the kicks. I think I would like to have a set like that. I remember drooling over their catalogs back then. I've got 2 Yamaha kits, 1 from 88 and 1 from 2009. I think they've always made good drums. Congratulations

Wow, that kit is 100% bad ass! Love the natural rims on the bass drum as well. Congratulations!

I have to say after having this kit with the natural bass drum hoops, I don't know why more don't do that. it looks especially good against the white finish.

Anyway thanks everyone for the great comments, it is a great kit. I might have to play around with drum head combos once I save up some money, but right now the Coated G2s over G1s is a setup I've used for a while and it sounds good on these.

Gorgeous kit. I have a Yamaha 8000 series (Just below the 9000 series) in the same white color on layaway at Guitar Center and it too is gorgeous. I can't wait to get it home.

Back