Who likes brass snares?

Thunderstix

I've only had one brass snare but this is my favorite snare, after owing a Ludwig steel, a Yamaha maple custom and some other low-end stuff. I don't know whether it's because of the material, the size or the fact that it's a single ply shell that makes this snare so attractive. It may be the three. I'm still using the stock heads, tensioned medium high, using half a piece of moongel and it sounds great.

1. Material
I have the impression that brass sounds fat, rich and full-bodied. My 14x5,5 maple sounded thin and the 14x5,5 steel snare was bright. Brass has the clarity and sensitivity of metal but with some fatness to it. It just sounds like a larger, richer model.

2. Size
It's a 13x5,5 and that makes it extra focussed, poppy and void of overring (it does have a pleasant, controlled ring).

3. Single ply
Wooden snare drums sound thin to me. Maybe that's because they were all laminated models. Those won't sound full and rich like a single ply shell. That's my thinking and I might be wrong on some accounts.

I'm considering changing the rims to die cast because the rim click is too soft. Do you think changing rims is a good idea, what brand should I look out for (I don't think Yamaha offers separate rims) and should I go with a brass or steel/chrome model?

Btw, why don't they make toms and bass drums out of brass? Brass is a very melodic metal used for horns and is quite inexpensive.

Attachments

• P1020119 (Small).JPG
    P1020119 (Small).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,317
Last edited:
I've got two brass snares.......I guess that'd make me a fan.

One is a 6.5x14 Black Beauty: There's been enough written about these on the boards. It really does speak for itself.

The other is a 3x13 Pearl brass piccolo that was sep up at a blokes home studio we used years ago. I was going to swap the snare and cymbals over and use my own, but had a play around on his set up first. Needless to say I loved the sound of the piccolo. Asked him if he'd sell it.....he nominated a price, I recorded our session with it, paid the man his money and walked out with it.

I love brass snares. More than wood snares, which a lot do sound nice, but there's something about the sound and feel of the heavier Brass drum that makes me go "That's IT!" I like the Brass shell even more than the 402, which is in a class all it's own also.

I have 2 6.5 BB's, and a 5" World Max Brass tube Lug. The WM is pretty dang nice, but it's NOT a BB.

I do have to say that I lean toward my 6.5 BRONZE BB more than the Brass for recording though. It just has more of everything that's great about Ludwig snares.
In my book anyway!

I have the same drum but much bigger 14x7, with the die cast hoops on the top and it sounds great, brass for the win.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............Brasssssss......

I love Brass, I have two. a 6.5" x 14" 1mm and a 5.5" x 14" 1.5mm with a Black Chrome finish.

For any rock gig I use the 6.5 live, for just about everything I record with with 5.5...

Yea, I like brass snares, can I have one? I'll take a 6.5 Black over Brass BB w/ tube lugs and gold die cast hoops. Also, could you get me a bronze one too while you're up? Same size. Thanks.
I really have to hear these bronze drums. I can hear them calling me.

O yeah - brass is good:

picture.php

I would advise a Groove wedge instead of changing hoops. You can change hoops, but they will change the overall sound of the snare to and maybe that sound is not you're taste.

Im a brass man.

I used to own several:
Yamaha Manu Katché 14x5,5
Yamaha Phoenix Anniversary Ltd. 13x6,5
Yamaha David Garibaldi 14x3,5 (had that snare 3 times over the years haha)
Worldmax Black Dawg 13x7

And used to borrow a BB from time to time (but I find it to specific to use all the time)

Now there's a steel Yamaha concert snare on the way so i'm curious how that one sounds (bad experience with cheap steel snaredrums, but this s another league) and prob. get a 14x6,5 seamless copper to.

probably my favorite metal snares right now. i have a '65 Ludwig Supra-Phonic 5 x 14" that is COB that has just a phenomenal rock & latin sound. using it completely un-muffled w/ a Yamaha fusion kit.

for my jazz kit, i am working to restore a '79 Slingerland COB (12-lugger) 5 x 14" for the mother of all big band snares --> http://picasaweb.google.com/ggill1970/1979SlingerlandSpitfireCOB203#

there is something very, very amazing about the tone you get from these brass drums. i always wonder if someone has one of those Sonor bell-brass snares from back in the day...yes the extremely heavy ones that were reviewed in MD.

Gonna be buying a 13x7 Black Magic at some point in the future. I have yet to putter with too many brass snares, but I will NEVER own a wood one.

I have an inexpensive PDP brass snare and if I want it to be loud it will be loud. But it is also sensitive when need be.

*Sings musically 'I like brass snares'. Sorry had to be done.

I have a Worldmax vintage brass snare and i've never used another since. Fantastic drum for the money and picks up ghost notes very nicely indeed.

I have an inexpensive PDP brass snare and if I want it to be loud it will be loud. But it is also sensitive when need be.

I have a hammered brass 14 x 5.5 PDP that I put 20 strand Puresounds on along with the basic Amb coated top head. It is the most versatile snare I own. I've a buddy with a DW endorsement who has borrowed it for a few sessions. And a few loud gigs where he really needed something to project. I still want a 6.5" BOB, but the PDP defies it's cost.

14x6.5 Ahead Black on Brass

S-hoops
Fat Cat Snares
Trick Throw
Decent stock heads new

$218 brand new shipped to my door

This snare is tittts! Loud, perfect amount of ring, super sensitive, quality construction and the S-hoops rock for easy tuning and wicked rim shots.

Can somebody please explain to me the difference in sound between a 14x6.5" Black Beauty and a Black Magic or Pork Pie Big Black Brass with the same dimensions? The only major difference I know of is that the Black Beauty is made of a seamless brass shell, but how does that affect the tonal quality of the snare? Those of you that have experience with the Black Beauty and other BB clones of equal dimensions, is the Black Beauty really worth the $250-300 over the clones?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've tried snares of countless other materials and sizes but I currently own three snares; Sonor 2005 Birch (14"x5.5"), a vintage Premier Steel (14"x4.5") and a Premier Artist Brass (14"x6.5") and the Premier Brass is definatley my workhorse snare and my favourite (although I am a sucker for a nice sounding Birch snare).

I haven't yet found another material that has the versatility that brass models have, I use it for everything from jazz to funk all the way through to hard-rock and metal and it always does a stellar job. What I love about it is that no matter what kind of tuning range I have it in, it always mantains "that" tone that I've always found with brass snares of any make, size or model...anyone know what I mean?

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Back