Carter Beauford

Man not a post on here in almost a year? I watch the DMB live stream from Jacksonville, FL last night and Carter killed it (as always). I feel like he's pretty underrated I never really hear much talk about him. He's an amazing drummer nonetheless and one of my biggest influences.

It's probably because 80% of his drumming career has been with one band. Just not as much exposure as some guys like Porcaro, Weckl, Garibaldi and Gadd. In my opinion, Carter is just as good, if not better in some respects, but he's fully dedicated to DMB. He's one of my main influences.

Want a challenge? try covering "Dreaming Tree" or some other song with an odd time signature and his unpredictable, yet perfectly fitting syncopation. I've been trying to learn Dreaming Tree for some years now. It's almost like one improvised groove that never repeats itself. It's beautiful.

It's probably because 80% of his drumming career has been with one band. Just not as much exposure as some guys like Porcaro, Weckl, Garibaldi and Gadd. In my opinion, Carter is just as good, if not better in some respects, but he's fully dedicated to DMB. He's one of my main influences.

Want a challenge? try covering "Dreaming Tree" or some other song with an odd time signature and his unpredictable, yet perfectly fitting syncopation. I've been trying to learn Dreaming Tree for some years now. It's almost like one improvised groove that never repeats itself. It's beautiful.

"So Damn Lucky" or "You Never Know" are two other good examples. In reality though, any song Carter is drumming on is amazing. He is all over the kit when they play live, but none of it feels showy or overplayed. It all fits and he drives the groove so well.

And the best part about Carter...He is smiling the whole time.

"So Damn Lucky" or "You Never Know" are two other good examples. In reality though, any song Carter is drumming on is amazing. He is all over the kit when they play live, but none of it feels showy or overplayed. It all fits and he drives the groove so well.

All true

I agree that he's a monster for sure, but I disagree about it not feeling "showy or overplayed". While the style of music does seem to lend itself to fantastic drum parts, I do feel that he delightfully overplays at times.

Full disclosure - I really don't care for the band. I will occasionally listen though only because I think the drumming is cool.

Carter is my favorite drummer of all time and I was wondering if anytime on here could share their feelings about the master.

The thing that amazes me about Carter's playing is how he takes a groove and places so much great pieces into it. He has incredible compositional skills as a drummer. A truly great musician.

Peace,

MT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozF4bmuJHvk

can anyone identify if these are PHX or RC toms? I was at this show and the tom sound is mind blowing at 4:40 - 4:53

the attack sounds more like RCs and they look black instead of red. can't tell which lugs they have. they don't sound this good on the soundboard pull of this show but sounded amazing through the PA.

and no I'm not the great Carter Beauford. seen him 32 times. gets better every year.

NAMM-2013-247-1200x800.jpg

I believe this is close to his current kit, should be a 19" A ultra hammered china above the 22" K ride though

Carter currently plays the Recording Custom toms and the Phx kick. He didn't like the phx toms as much as the Rc.

I'm friend's with his drum tech Henry Luniewski and get to check Carter's kit out every year. I have his kit replicated and it's not Original, but really fun anyway. Here's some photos of my kit and Carter's.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1415048414787.jpg
    FB_IMG_1415048414787.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_210599100468099.jpeg
    IMG_210599100468099.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,529
  • IMG_210647772538289.jpeg
    IMG_210647772538289.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,516
  • FB_IMG_1414077143519.jpg
    FB_IMG_1414077143519.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,557
jealous! I'd kill to play that thing. what's it like to hit two A ultra hammered chinas at once?

I used to have an older Stage Custom Carter replikit but it didn't sound that great and was just too big for my ability. I don't play that much DMB so I switched to a smaller kit.

if you ever hit up a show at Blossom, beers are on me.

Last edited:
Carter is using this drum set on the 2015 summer tour. Could anyone identify the drum set?

4vgHCbTl.jpg
[/IMG]

those bass drum claw hooks look like Ludwigs. Yamaha doesn't make anything with an oyster wrap in current production. not a stretch since he's been using a Ludwig Black Beauty snare.

That kit is Questlove's old Yamaha club custom kit. I was backstage at the Arkansas show in may and Henry was very excited to show me the kit. He's using a Ludwig Alex Van Halen signature snare this tour as well.

The regular kit is the old Yamaha recording custom and Phoenix bass drum.

Back