Bid like a man!

incrementalg

Gold Member
I recently bid on two cymbals on Ebay. I was the highest bidder up until the closing bell rang, then suddenly I was outbid by $2.00...each time. I think it was by someone watching the item, but not previously bidding.

I know it's fair game since the rules allow bids up to the last second, but I think it's kinda lame to sneak in at the last second and put in a bid so that no one has the chance to counter.

What can you do fellow ebayer's?? You can bid like a man!!

Has nothing to do with being a 'Man'.

Suck it up. Learn. Fight fire with fire.

Bidding sniping has been here since the inception of these sites.

They probably wrote a script or used a program that did it for them seconds before close.

That's a pretty common strategy, actually. If you don't want to get outbid at the last second, make sure your bid is high enough - your counter bid happens automatically this way.

And you don't actually know what the high bid of the winner was. You can only know it was at least $2.00 higher that your highest bid.

Maybe if you complain hard enough you can get Hillary to go on an Ebay anti- bullying bidding campaign. Once you get her on your side the snowball will take care of itself : )

Ebay might make it easier to do this, but this is as old as auctions have been. There's always someone who waits until the last minute to bid, that's the nature of an auction. Auctions are all about competition between the buyers, so be competitive and be quick.

For me, if I'm just browsing (not looking for something specific) I'll just filter down to acategory that I like and sort by ending soonest. Often times I'll bid on something that I've never seen in it's last few minutes or seconds.

Also, they don't know that their bid will beat your max bid. The highest bid might be $27, but you might have put in a max bid of $50. If I bid $30, i'll immediately get out bid...

It's stupid to bid back and forth. All you are doing is getting into a bid battle and running the bid up. The guy did the smart thing. The way to play the game is to come in at the last minute and hit 'em with a higher bid. I learned this from years of real life auctions as well as playing the eBay game.

Macarina hit it on the head: suck it up and go forward.

suddenly I was outbid by $2.00...each time. I think it was by someone watching the item, but not previously bidding.

They bid like a man, they bid high. eBay hides your highest bid, just posts the current winning bid. So at $50 if you bid $56 and it automatically comes back with 'out bid' someone could've already bid like a man with $75

If someone is snipng it takes a little while longer than automatic, like a few seconds, or the strategy is to use a few seconds to lull you into thinking you're safe with the highest bid. If its instant, then you know someone has a high bid in and you have to find it (keep bidding), if you come to their highest bid, then you could possibly be in a sniping battle, but usually ppl who bid high do so bc they don't have time, or can't be there at that time to snipe.

What's encouraged is bid the most you'd pay for the item. There was a time when eBay did not hide your/the highest bid, they felt that encouraged sniping.

If I really want something on ebay, I always wait until the last five seconds or so, then post the highest price i'm willing to pay. I don't like doing this way, but that's just the way it is.

GeeDeeEmm

It's stupid to bid back and forth. All you are doing is getting into a bid battle and running the bid up.

Exactly! Bidding before the last few seconds of an auction only serves to make someone else counter with a higher bid which ultimately drives up the winning price.

I just don't use the site because it's full of douchebags who do that kind of stuff. F*** the douchebags.

This is why I've pretty much given up shopping on ebay.

Unless there is a "Buy it now" option at a decent price, there's no point.

I watch an item, log on 1 minute before close, and then bid the sky in the last 10 seconds. That is the only way to win your item. It works every time.

Winning the bid has nothing to do with having gonads, it has to do with being clever.

Work smart man. Get you head in the game and snipe that auction if you really want it! C'mon man up!

I love sniping bids. Turns the bid into a challenge that I have to take on. I time it so that I put my bid in the last minute. I have a set limit that I will not go over. Bid in small increments till you win the thing.

With this smart bidding I was able to score a 6.5 Supraphonic for $200 (including the shipping). Then I polished it up with power tools and stuff. It was so manly I think my neighbors grew chest hair just from being in my presence.

I have been amazed at what some people will pay for gear on eBay. I recently bid on a used usb drive for my laptop. The winning bid was only $5 less than a brand new buy it now.

.... I think it's kinda lame to sneak in at the last second and put in a bid so that no one has the chance to counter.
You think it's lame, only 'cause you lost the auction, eh?​

What can you do fellow ebayer's??

Use this ..... http://auctionsniper.com/ In this day and age, the cunning barbarian must learn to embrace technology, if he wants to survive.​

the only way to bid is when time remaining goes under 2 minutes .

bidding 2 days before an auction is over is one of the stupidest things anyone can do

in all honesty how you are bidding is just simply not aggressive enough for a real auction

Couldn't agree more.

Last minute stealth is the only way I bid on eBay auctions. Why the hell would I show you my hand early? I always giggle at people who bid with a week left to run and then get surprised that they get overrun in the dying seconds. Seldom are the best deals discovered using this strategy.

Never let 'em see you coming, is my motto.

I'd love to offer the advice that you get serious about it.......or get the hell out of the way. But I'd be shooting myself in the foot. I've won far too many auctions against guys who bid too early then fall asleep at the end for me to want it any other way. :)

Back