Ian Paice

Paice reading charts? he has just slipped a notch in my esteem.

Yeah. I mean, imagine how much better he'd be if he couldn't read?

Here's one to have you burning your albums. Paice actually having the gall to advocate the rudiments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDk8-FDhFgk

"If you want to get involved with the more technical side of drumming, you must learn the rudiments"? "Must"?? What, encouraging people to actually learn to play? Won't they all sound the same? The friggen' cheek!!

:)

Paice reading charts? he has just slipped a notch in my esteem.
I am sure I heard Ian say in an interview that he didn't have sheet music charts, just some key points he had made for himself along the lines of "thump thump here" stop for 16 bars, "bang bang etc" and yet he didn't miss a beat.
Somehow without any serious musical training, he managed to play some of the best drumming in rock as well as really memorable and musical solos.
The "made in Japan" era and videos from those shows, demonstrate why Ian Paice deserves a place in the rock drumming hall of fame.

I love his playing. Fantastic player. I never understood why he did not get the recognition Bonham or Moon or Appice got. To me he is by far the best drummer that came out of the late 60's / early 70's.

I am not a fan of DP Mk II, but love Mk III and IV, and of course Whitesnake and Gary Moore. Although maybe a bit more straigh-forward his playing with Whitesnake and Moore is extremely tasteful and groovy. He and bassist Neil Murray were one of rock's greatest rhythm section ever.

In two words, I would describe his playing as tasteful and exciting.

Funny this thread should come up. I have been listening to a lot of Deep Purple lately, just going through a phase, I guess. I appreciate Paice more every time I listen to him. He was so solid, made the music feel good, grooved and seemed to play effortlessly.

I never understood why he did not get the recognition Bonham or Moon or Appice got..

I hear you.

I can only guess it's because, unlike Moon and Bonham, he's still with us......he never went out in a well publicised "blaze of glory." And unlike Carmine, he hasn't spent a lifetime making sure others are well versed in his level of influence......i.e. talking up his own book. :)

Fabulous drummer. Fabulous band.

Ran across this on Facebook last week.
Drums only Highway Star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S__-8YQ9oow

Great stuff, and I like how it speeds up a touch, or lays back in spots. The snare isn't "perfect" at the beginning, and I like that! Leave it HUMAN sounding!!
No two tracks were identical either.

Carmine talks and promotes himself, but he isn't lying about his accomplishments, or his influence on other drummers like Bonham. Bonham was green, and a "newbie" at one point too, despite having the talent he did.

Definitely one of the better players in that style of music, from that time period.

Good hands, and great swing to his playing.

Ran across this on Facebook last week.
Drums only Highway Star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S__-8YQ9oow

Great stuff, and I like how it speeds up a touch, or lays back in spots. The snare isn't "perfect" at the beginning, and I like that! Leave it HUMAN sounding!!
No two tracks were identical either.

Carmine talks and promotes himself, but he isn't lying about his accomplishments, or his influence on other drummers like Bonham. Bonham was green, and a "newbie" at one point too, despite having the talent he did.

human sounding ......I dig that ......awesome and lively not the robotic sampling deals..

I started out watching a Paiste cymbal demo with Ian this week, testing various cymbals. Finally after a bit of that I can across an outstanding solo by Ian, as well as a video of his snare drum rudiment skills. Incredible set of skills, VERY fast. He's hardly slowed down a beat I'd say! I was very impressed.

He is on my best rock drummer list. You are right, I love watching him demo rudiments.

I hear you.

I can only guess it's because, unlike Moon and Bonham, he's still with us......he never went out in a well publicised "blaze of glory." And unlike Carmine, he hasn't spent a lifetime making sure others are well versed in his level of influence......i.e. talking up his own book. :)

Fabulous drummer. Fabulous band.

I think your spot on.

I have to admit, I didn't fully appreciate Paice until I saw him live in the 90's.

I saw him at MoR in 2006 when they brought it back for a one off. Great gig!

They set up right at the front of the stage and I made sure I was down the front as well.

He's so laid back when he plays and has tremendous feel. He's I a rare group of one of my drum idols that's still alive and still playing!

Brilliant musician. I always admired his playing, but wasn't exposed to it that much because I wasn't really into the bands he was in. I should probably revisit that music though. What would be the best early Deep Purple album to start with?

Here's a bit of Paice wisdom from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsgkFTKSy40

Brilliant musician. I always admired his playing, but wasn't exposed to it that much because I wasn't really into the bands he was in. I should probably revisit that music though. What would be the best early Deep Purple album to start with?

Most definitely one of the MKII line up albums. In Rock. Fireball and Machinehead are often cited as the best starting point........and for good reason. There is also some great drumming on Burn (MKIII)

Back