DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-14-2015, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

About CymbalShoxs

I tried to buy them from Vic's Drumshop, but it turns out, they can't sell outside the US. (I live in Hungary.) I also tried the Trick Drums website, but they have failed to respond in the last 2 months or so, maybe even longer. Ebay and Amazon contains nothing about Cymbalshox. So basically, on-line ordering Cymbalshox looks impossible for some of us.
Is there a place in London where I can buy these? I'm visiting my friends at the end of March, and I really want to come home with a few of those.

Cheers,
Matthew
Old 02-17-2015, 12:10 PM

Hi Gavin,

thanks for all the time you spend with answering our questions. I attended a clinic in Giessen last year and was fascinated by seeing you perform live. There are two questions I'd like to ask.

In some of your interviews you're stating that you're trying to play and understand the drums not only as a rhythmical instrument but that you think of them as a melodic instrument, too, like a piano or a saxophone. This is a fascinating approach, although not an easy one to grasp for someone like me who is used to hearing and playing drums in pop/rock music. Nevertheless, listening to your and 05Rics songs - which are absolutely brilliant, by the way -, I seem to get an idea of this concept. Did you have this approach early in your career or did it slowly evolve during the years?

Sometimes you're referring to a large collection or library of rhythmical ideas you've collected throughout the years. I'm wondering about how such a library could be organised so that older stuff could be found even when you only have a vague idea of what you're looking for. Do you have a special system for your library and is it digitalized?

Cheers
Tom
(Aachen, Germany)
Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM

Hello Gavin,

I would like to thank you for your continuous support! To get answers from your big experience is amazing and so valuable! Concerning the SQ2, I have no more questions (for the moment!).
I wish you a great time!
Flo
(Germany Stuttgart)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Ha Gavin!
I just saw the Vimeo Video. I am so excited to get the DVD!
I could see that you have a new cymbal holder for the 5 little friends to your left. What holder is that? Custom made?
Cheers, Flo
Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi szokematyi

About CymbalShoxs
I tried to buy them from Vic's Drumshop, but it turns out, they can't sell outside the US. (I live in Hungary.) I also tried the Trick Drums website, but they have failed to respond in the last 2 months or so, maybe even longer. Ebay and Amazon contains nothing about Cymbalshox. So basically, on-line ordering Cymbalshox looks impossible for some of us.
Is there a place in London where I can buy these? I'm visiting my friends at the end of March, and I really want to come home with a few of those.

thanks for the interest in them. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a product into the market and have them appear in shops worldwide. Sorry you're unable to hold of them - I don't know if any shops in London have them either.

Hi tom_ac

In some of your interviews you're stating that you're trying to play and understand the drums not only as a rhythmical instrument but that you think of them as a melodic instrument, too, like a piano or a saxophone. This is a fascinating approach, although not an easy one to grasp for someone like me who is used to hearing and playing drums in pop/rock music. Nevertheless, listening to your and 05Rics songs - which are absolutely brilliant, by the way -, I seem to get an idea of this concept. Did you have this approach early in your career or did it slowly evolve during the years?

I think it's something that I've been feeling for about the last 20 years. It's easy - as a drummer - to get stuck into that frame of mind of just playing beats and fills and never thinking beyond that. It's only when I stopped thinking like a drummer that more unusual and melodic things started to come through.

Sometimes you're referring to a large collection or library of rhythmical ideas you've collected throughout the years. I'm wondering about how such a library could be organised so that older stuff could be found even when you only have a vague idea of what you're looking for. Do you have a special system for your library and is it digitalized?

I suppose it's all in my head (somewhere) but creativity is quite often untidy and comes in random ways. Yes I have a large collection of notation ideas and small films that I've made. Some days I look at them and rearrange my thoughts about how I might use them or develop them. The material that I liked the most has generally worked it's way into my playing anyway - the most important thing is to keep having new ideas.

Hi Florsky

I just saw the Vimeo Video. I am so excited to get the DVD!
I could see that you have a new cymbal holder for the 5 little friends to your left. What holder is that? Custom made?

I found it on Ebay and got it sent over from the States. ( "Camber Quint Chime Holder") I made a couple of small modifications to it - I had to cut the bottom part short to get it over the hi hat - and I changed the washers and installed Sonor nuts on top of the cymbal arms. So far it works well (but I don't know if it's strong enough for touring). It's nowhere near as strong and solid as the Sonor arm - but this thing is light and really cheap!!

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 PM

Hi Gavin -

I just pre-ordered the CD/DVD-V version of "Cheating the Polygraph" from Burning Shed https://www.burningshed.com/store/ga...duct/192/6399/ .
Did Jakko do the 5.1 mix? Also, do you know if it is a hi-res DVD-A, or does it only have dts/dolby listening options?

Thanks, Mic
Old 03-04-2015, 06:55 AM

Hey Gavin!

Hope you've been well! It's been ages since I posted on here but I heard the new Steve Wilson album today and couldn't help but notice you were in the liner notes and I was curious what involvement you had in the album.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbob View Post
Hello Gavin, I am curious as to how much autonomy you have when you play. For example, I have enjoyed your work with people like Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin (Green and Blue is a very nice album for a variety of reasons) and King Crimson. The Dave Stewart material seems to be very much fully composed whereas KC at times seems much more open. Does someone like Dave Stewart tell you what to play (in general or specific terms) or does he just say "Here's the demo, find something that works"? In contrast, I read in Bill Bruford's autobiography that nobody told him what to play in KC, he was just supposed to "know".
Hi Notbob, interesting question. I can tell you how it works with Stewart / Gaskin:

I was in Gavin's studio for all of the Green and Blue drum recording sessions, so was able to discuss the drum parts with him before we recorded them. Though most of the song demos had programmed drums, we didn't stick religiously to the programmed parts; Gavin would often suggest a different kick and snare configuration, we'd talk about which passages needed ride cymbal rather than hi-hat, etc. He also replaced some of my programmed fills with hipper, more syncopated ones - however, if I insisted, he'd play the demo fill, even if it was something I suspect he'd never normally play! This flexibility is one of the reasons Gavin is such an in-demand session player, but the main reason is that he nails the drum part very quickly and plays it with amazing precision. And of course, he comes up with some great improvised stuff - I love his exuberant little mini-cymbal starbursts, they really liven up the music. He's always open to trying out different ideas - on his new album Cheating The Polygraph (highly recommended BTW) we had fun thinking up marimba parts (he owns a beautiful concert marimba).

As I recall, the only G&B demo with no programmed drums was the ballad 'Let Me Sleep Tonight'. There was no point me programming anything, because I knew Gavin would come up with a great part - he just grabbed his brushes and whipped out a perfect, sensitive and dynamic performance in one take.

Re. future collaborations, I'm currently finishing writing songs for a new Stewart / Gaskin album to be recorded later in 2015, and we're happy to report Gavin will play on the album. Details (when available) will be announced in our newsletter, which you can subcribe to at http://www.burningshed.com/store/dav...ailinglist/13/.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Well said quote from Gavin Harrison - this should put an immediate end to a lot of discussions...:

"It's very nice to feel appreciated but most 'awards' are just popularity contests. I don't ask people to vote for me. If I did (and rallied and campaigned around the Porcupine Tree/King Crimson fan base) maybe I might win something - but what would be the point? It would just be an ego thing. You have to get hold of your ego and not let it get the better of you - it can be very destructive and distracting. It can damage relationships and ruin your life. I've seen it happen. There's no shortage of bitter, twisted, competitive, resentful and jealous folks in the music industry. Some musicians are part of a famous band who have lots of followers on social media. If they ask their fans to go and vote via an online poll - it just becomes pointless. It might be better if it was judged by a panel of your peers - but it would still be silly. Who is to say who is best? Music is an art form - it's not a competition. Who is the best artist between Picasso, Van Gogh and Rembrandt? You might be able to tell me your preference - but there is no 'definitive best'. ”

http://www.totalmusicmagazine.com/in...n_Harrison.htm

Oh and by the way, I'm so much looking forward to that big band album!! :)
Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 AM

Hey Gavin!

It was almost 4 years ago when I joined this forum just to ask you one question which at the time was very important to me. That question was about any and all pairs of hi hats which you've used over the course of recording with PT and 05Ric. A little more than a week later, you confirmed for me that there were only two hi hats involved, 13" K's (off of which my username is based), and 12" Re-Mix. Ever since then, I have scoured the depths of eBay for all these years, until FINALLY I was able to win a pair at a decent price in really good condition a couple Saturdays ago. Pictured below are the exact pair I now own, all thanks to you.

And so for the past week I've been sort of reliving history in a sense by playing them along to all the tracks that I know you used them on, being all of In Absentia, the Futile EP, the XM sessions, your video of "Slippin' Away," the re-recorded version of Up the Downstair with you on drums, and even though you've said you started using the 13" K's on Deadwing, the EQ of your drums on that album makes your hi hats sound closer the Re-Mix hats in reality.

In summary, it's been a really good week. I am absolutely adoring the sound of these hi hats (though they can't permanently replace my 13" K's). But since I have them now, I thought I'd take a little trip down memory lane with a few short questions regarding your use of them. What drew you to them in the first place? What made you switch to the 13" K's? (Though their sounds in my opinion are somewhat similar, so perhaps that's why.) Do you still own a pair of the Re-Mix hats? If so, do you still pull them out again from time to time? And lastly, what other Re-Mix cymbals did you own and use? (I believe I spotted a 12" Re-Mix crash in a video of you playing "Swerve" on YouTube.)

Thanks for answering as always. I'd also like to second pixelbreaker's question, as I spotted your name in the liner notes of SW's Hand. Cannot. Erase. as well and was wondering the same thing.
Cheers -- Peter
Attached Images

Last edited by K_HiHats; 03-31-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:23 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mic T

I just pre-ordered the CD/DVD-V version of "Cheating the Polygraph" from Burning Shed https://www.burningshed.com/store/ga...duct/192/6399/ .
Did Jakko do the 5.1 mix? Also, do you know if it is a hi-res DVD-A, or does it only have dts/dolby listening options?

I did the 5.1 mix and it has DTS/Dolby formats. I believe there will also be a FLAC 24bit96k stereo version available very soon from Burning Shed.

Hi pixelbreaker

I heard the new Steve Wilson album today and couldn't help but notice you were in the liner notes and I was curious what involvement you had in the album.

I didn't have any involvement in that album. Maybe he just likes me?

Hi K_HiHats

It was almost 4 years ago when I joined this forum just to ask you one question which at the time was very important to me. That question was about any and all pairs of hi hats which you've used over the course of recording with PT and 05Ric. What drew you to them in the first place? What made you switch to the 13" K's? (Though their sounds in my opinion are somewhat similar, so perhaps that's why.) Do you still own a pair of the Re-Mix hats?

I really like the 12" Remix hats but they were a bit too small and quiet in a loud band situation plus I broke a few top cymbals over the years. Yes the 13"Ks have a similar sound and I really like those. Recently I've been enjoying the 14" K light hi hats and a 14" pair of Constantinople hi hats. Sadly I don't still own a pair of the Re-Mix hi hats.

What other Re-Mix cymbals did you own and use? (I believe I spotted a 12" Re-Mix crash in a video of you playing "Swerve" on YouTube.)

Yes I did have a 12" Re-Mix crash (which I no longer have) and I once had a 17" Re-MIx ride that was really nice too.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin, congrats on all the positive press for the new disc.

On your Facebook page you posted a photo with copies of the disc on your set. In the photo you've got Kerope hi-hats and a K Custom Dry Complex Ride on the set. I was somewhat surprised to see the latter, given your well-documented long-term relationship with the standard 20" K Ride. I was also curious as to whether the Keropes were 14"s or 15"s, and what your thoughts were on them compared to the other hats you've been using as of late. Were these cymbal choices specifically for "Cheating the Polygraph", or are you using them for another project?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

HI alparrott

On your Facebook page you posted a photo with copies of the disc on your set. In the photo you've got Kerope hi-hats and a K Custom Dry Complex Ride on the set. I was somewhat surprised to see the latter, given your well-documented long-term relationship with the standard 20" K Ride. I was also curious as to whether the Keropes were 14"s or 15"s, and what your thoughts were on them compared to the other hats you've been using as of late. Were these cymbal choices specifically for "Cheating the Polygraph", or are you using them for another project?

I've been playing the K Custom Dry Complex Ride for the last couple of years and I really like it. I used it on the new album along with a pair of K Constantinople 14" hi hats. The Kerope hi hats are 14" and I just got them a few weeks ago so I'm still experimenting with them. I have quite a large collection of cymbals (including some vintage ones) so that I have a wide palate of sounds that I might choose for any given project.

for any folks who are curious - here's a video for one of the tunes from my new album "Cheating The Polygraph". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9PCreC7Lfk

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 AM

Hi Gavin,

Let me start by saying I'm absolutely astounded every time I hear your parts on Porcupine Tree records recorrecords and listen to the mighty intricacies in your pieces. I've got a question, if I may, not on technique or playing, I guess. How did you stay inspired to improve when you started off?

I've got 6 years of on and off practice and recently I've been working hard practising everyday. And with all that practice the latest result I got was my sloppy double bass dropping from 150bpm to 130bpm. Now they're just uncontrollable I have no idea why. It seems like I just lost all that I had learnt overnight. My hands are alright, but I barely have strength in my feet to play fast consecutive notes even on my strong foot. I play regularly in church but make way too many mistakes. I'm now in the military band as a trainee and everyone around has years of practice in their instrument or graduated from music college and I'm here with no experience at all being in a wind ensemble and I'm absolutely terrible at it. I have practical tests in a few weeks and if I fail I'll be relieved of my position in the band. I know that being in an environment like this, living with experienced and professional musicians should inspire me but I'm at an utter loss whenever I review my personal experience and training and see how I'm way below the standard that I should be at.

Don't get me wrong, I love music and I understand these skills don't come overnight. But I've had many nights and it just seems like I'm stuck at a road block while everyone else around me is flying past. So how did you manage to pull through periods like this? How did you maintain yourself on the road of improvement?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ratslink

I love music and I understand these skills don't come overnight. But I've had many nights and it just seems like I'm stuck at a road block while everyone else around me is flying past. So how did you manage to pull through periods like this? How did you maintain yourself on the road of improvement?

I can tell you that I had many nights (and days) like that too. Quite often the blocks that I hit were small technical things (like not being able to play certain bass drum figures accurately against certain hand patterns etc.) so I just needed to identify what the problem was - and then figure out a tailor made solution on how to practise it. I can say that all these years I've been practising I have become pretty good at solving my own problems. You need to invent your own exercises that just focus on that one thing that is tripping you up. Other times it was just the realisation of something I was doing wrong (or occasionally right) that got me over the block. Sometimes I just needed to RELAX. I guess you first need to understand if it's a mental block or a physical one.

Cheers
Gavin

Zildjian Cymbals are running a competition to win signed copies of my new record "Cheating The Polygraph". I recorded a little video of a couple of minutes from one song on that record. It will be a fun competition (nothing too serious) and I will judge all the videos and pick the winners. Follow this link and read the instructions on what to do.
https://www.facebook.com/Zildjian/vi...53414617424994
Old 05-02-2015, 05:57 PM

Hi Gavin,

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTIh...Q&spfreload=10 and noticed that you were using a coated bass drum head. Which model is it?

I know you used a lot the clear Powerstroke 3, right?
How do you find the one in the video compared to the clear one?
I always loved the punch and warmth of a coated bass drum head especially if you mic it, it sounds like I want it to sound or like I hear it in my head...

Cheers!

Will
Old 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi willregnier

the bass drum head in that video is a Remo coated Ambassador that I was experimenting with. It has a really nice attack. I've gone back to the PS3 as there was a tone I really liked to it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-27-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdrummer View Post
I have recently gotten into his drumming with Porcupine Tree, and discovered that this guy has major chops, skills and groove. What do people know about him, his equipment, and technique. Any and all information is a good thing.

Very talented drummer. Uses Sonor SQ2 mostly. He has youtube videos, training tools for drummers that would be a great place to start to learn his technique. Gavin's genius isn't about raw speed or volume, it's about subtle genius. He is able to play odd time meters and make it "feel" like a simple time groove. He's far more talented than I even first thought until I really started to study his music more. Gavin's drumming makes sense...whereas a lot of drummers are just trying to fill up a measure, Gavin's understanding of musical nuance allows him to be efficient with his drumming in "not over playing" while still producing very entertaining and complex drumming with dynamics that would give any drummer a nice challenge. The Porcupine Tree song "Start of Something Special" is a nice place to start to see what I am talking about when I say "nuance of the music". The guy is brilliant and one of the most entertaining drummers EVER...and he doesn't need to twirl his sticks, play 220BPM double kick or have a drum riser that goes in circles to make his mark.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
The Porcupine Tree song "Start of Something Special" is a nice place to start to see what I am talking about when I say "nuance of the music".
Ahem, it's Start of Something Beautiful.

*wink*
Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 PM

Hey Gavin!
I wish you all the best!
https://www.facebook.com/florian.dit...5916650652025/
Cheers, Flo
Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
(nothing too serious)
Ahem - not so sure about that Gavin. I mean, you have set the bar rather high (gross understatement of the year award) ;) Utterly immense crash work - OMG!

Anyhow, as you didn't enter my competition ---------------------- :)-
Old 05-31-2015, 06:37 PM

Hello Gavin, hope all is well,

I had a couple quick questions. Firstly, looking back on your career what project did you have the most fun with? Secondly, did you ever have to play Voyage 34 live?

Still really enjoying your record! Thanks for your time!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 AM

Hy Gavin,
how often do you change your bottom heads?
Thanks Flo
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

I had a couple quick questions. Firstly, looking back on your career what project did you have the most fun with? Secondly, did you ever have to play Voyage 34 live?

I think the person I most enjoyed playing with was Lewis Taylor as I was such a fan of his songs. Around 1998 I went to do a recording session that he was producing for a French girl singer. The session was fantastic and I really liked the songs. Next day I went out and bought his first album entitled "Lewis Taylor". About a year later he called me to play on his second album "Lewis 2" and then we did some live shows in London. Unfortunately he has now retired.

I never did play Voyage 34.

Hi Florsky

how often do you change your bottom heads?

almost never - but I have been on a bit of a tuning thing lately. When I get my drums sounding pretty good I now record each drum so I can reference it and check if the drums have shifted in pitch. (I also put it on my iPhone so I can quickly check it when I'm out and about with different drumsets).
I play pretty hard and so the tuning does move throughout the day. On a recording session I might check my pitches against this recording 2 or 3 times during the day.
Here's my most recent recording reference. It starts with the 14" snare drum (snares off) and then the toms 8", 10", 12" 15" 18".
Drum Tuning June 2015.mov
cheers
Gavin
Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Great sounding reference Gavin! For your toms and floor toms, do you tune the resonant heads higher than or the same as the batter?

Also wanted to add that I came across a YT video of you playing the 16" K Light Hats and 20" K Dark Thin Crash and I soon after went out and bought both... I gotta say they are extremely versatile cymbals with such a great tone and feel. The hats are perfection. And this is coming from a Sabian guy!

Last edited by Trip McNealy; 06-06-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:24 AM

Hey Gavin! Huge fan!

I have a question that popped into my head when i was watching some of your videos. Do you always do rim shots to accent the backbeat?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

HiTrip McNealy

Great sounding reference Gavin! For your toms and floor toms, do you tune the resonant heads higher than or the same as the batter?

Yes I do..and for the last few years I have Remo Coated Vintage Emperor on the tops and Remo Clear Ambassadors on the bottoms.

Also wanted to add that I came across a YT video of you playing the 16" K Light Hats and 20" K Dark Thin Crash and I soon after went out and bought both... I gotta say they are extremely versatile cymbals with such a great tone and feel. The hats are perfection. And this is coming from a Sabian guy!

Yeah that's the video I shot at the Zildjian factory. Those cymbals are great !

Hi blah

I have a question that popped into my head when i was watching some of your videos. Do you always do rim shots to accent the backbeat?

Yes I do 95% of the time and it helps for consistency if I can hit the middle of the drum (or just slightly north of centre) whilst hitting the rim at the same time. A lot of my sound it created right there. You can see from this worn drumhead photo what I'm talking about.

Name:  11159927_10152908634798865_6707656590165914682_o.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  17.7 KB

However if you're playing rim shots in low volume situations might not be that popular with everyone around you - so you also need to know when it's appropriate.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-14-2015, 08:23 PM

Hi Gavin,

I am a HUGE fan of yours and I really like all of your concepts, ideals and especially your playing! I also have your Rhythmic Visions and Rhythmic Horizons DVD's.

I have been away from the drums for some time now, but I am making my way back to all the joy that drumming brings to me.

I really like your playing on 19 Days - I was just sharing it with some friends last night after our dinner party, and they were all blown away!

I really love the sound you get from your bass drum. I know you use a pillow as part of the way you get your sound. Could you please post a picture of your pillow and the pillow inside of your bass drum?

Much thanks and keep inspiring us all with your wonderful playing!

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions Gavin!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:35 AM

Hello Gavin!

Question at the bottom if you want to skip my long post:

So I tried going to askgavinharrison.com and uh... something about Japanese fruit came up. Not sure if it's my internet or not, but... well anyways...

I don't really want to ask you a question that has been asked probably many times, but I just spent the last hour going threw about 15 pages of forum questions. (Incidentally, I laughed quite a few times to some of your Q&A, very entertaining reading [also highly educational]). *side note, thanks to the reading, I now know where to get the Basic Arm System for MY chimes (made from my broken Paiste 2002's... I'm sure you understand that you never really want to throw away cymbals even after they break. They are precious! They can't just be discarded)

*From a previous question you answered, not a question, more of a thank you*
I asked you a while ago about Sonor's Ascent Series, and you replied with (not verbatim) "Ascents are very good! However, can't beat handmade German drums. Prolite, or if budget is a concert, Delite". Shortly there after, I bought myself a Prolite Snare, and a 24" Delite bass drum. Both are pure magic, and I love them to death. Recording with them is a dream, and my band can't get over how awesome they sound.

*to the question*
After countless bids on various replacements for my toms, I stumbled on a Cream White 5 piece Prolite shell pack in all the right sizes, And WON! So now I'm anxious to start playing with my new toy, though my budget right now is (understandably) not permitting me to go buy a bunch of heads to try out. So I've been trying to figure out what heads you were using in the Prolite Demo you did when they were first revealed. I loved the sound they were putting out, and I think that might be a good place to start.

What heads did you use on your Prolite Kit demo for Sonor? You don't have to go over the tuning, I've read your answer for that a few times today :-).

Thank you again!

EDIT

PFFT! After writing this whole post, I just saw your response from earlier, 3 posts down. I think that might have answered my question. That's what I get for starting in the middle.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi AMP01

I really love the sound you get from your bass drum. I know you use a pillow as part of the way you get your sound. Could you please post a picture of your pillow and the pillow inside of your bass drum?

Here's a photo I took a few years ago on my 17" deep bass drum and you can see the pillow lying length-wise (and it goes up to just under where the beater strikes the head). On my 15" bass drum I put the pillow side-ways. The pillow is the heaviest feather pillow I could find...the light weight synthetic ones just won't do. I also devised a light temporary wood cross bar (held in with velcro) to keep the pillow off the front head as I wanted it to ring (on this occasion). Otherwise I take the wood cross bar out and then the pillow mutes the front head too. At this time I had an Audix D6 mounted in the bass drum (and it sounded really good). At the moment I have a Shure Beta 91A and an AKG D12VR mounted in the bass drum (the AKG just above the Shure) and I think it sounds a bit better - plus I have more control with two separate mics.

Name:  Gav BD.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  358.7 KB

Hi Venimal

What heads did you use on your Prolite Kit demo for Sonor?

On that drumset I had Remo Coated Emperors on the toms (not the Vintage Emperors). The Vintage Emperors are very slightly thicker and (for me) work better on the thicker shell drums (like the SQ2's that I have at home). The ProLite have the really thin shells and I find that they sound slightly better with just the regular Emperors on them. They have Remo Clear Ambassadors on the bottoms. There was a Remo C.S on the snare drum.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's a photo I took a few years ago on my 17" deep bass drum and you can see the pillow lying length-wise (and it goes up to just under where the beater strikes the head). On my 15" bass drum I put the pillow side-ways. The pillow is the heaviest feather pillow I could find...the light weight synthetic ones just won't do. I also devised a light temporary wood cross bar (held in with velcro) to keep the pillow off the front head as I wanted it to ring (on this occasion). Otherwise I take the wood cross bar out and then the pillow mutes the front head too. At this time I had an Audix D6 mounted in the bass drum (and it sounded really good). At the moment I have a Shure Beta 91A and an AKG D12VR mounted in the bass drum (the AKG just above the Shure) and I think it sounds a bit better - plus I have more control with two separate mics.
And you use the clear Powerstroke 3 as your batter head, right?
Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Yes I do.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the reply! Do you know the dimensions of the pillow? Do I see something else under the pillow, to the right of the pillow, touching the batter head? (It looks like strips of black tape?) Also, do you use a double bass patch where the beaters hit the drum head? If so which one.

Have you ever tried the Remo Powersonic bass drum head? (The one that has the muffling built in)

Thanks again and cheers!
Andrew

Last edited by AMP01; 06-24-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Yes I do 95% of the time and it helps for consistency if I can hit the middle of the drum (or just slightly north of centre) whilst hitting the rim at the same time. A lot of my sound it created right there. You can see from this worn drumhead photo what I'm talking about.
Hi Gavin,

I saw you performing at the Drum Night in Gießen in October last year and I got the impression that you're hitting the drums quite hard. I do rim shots most of the time as well and it's a returning nightmare to find the top lugs loosening or the bottom lugs laying on the floor. The need for constant checking of the tuning is really annoying especially on stage because it prevents me from concentrating on the next song.

I tried some of the available systems e.g the TAMA Hold tight washer (I play TAMA), Pearl's Tension Keeper, Gibraltar's Lug Locks. These systems either seem to work only for a limited time because they wear out or they don't fit perfectly and make noises or the tightening effect isn't strong enough for heavy hitters.

I'm wondering how you prevent the lugs from loosening because you seem to hit the drums harder then me.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by TomG; 06-25-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM

Hi Gavin,

It has been some time since we last corresponded. I helped setup an autograph signing for you in San Jose at San Jose Pro Drum and we did a dinner and met again at the NAMM show. I have been out of the music stuff for a awhile.

Anyhoo, glad to see you are still answering questions and offering your time.

My question is, are you still open to doing recording for bands on a per track basis for pay? Is there a way to communicate and work out the details. You and I used to correspond via MySpace....LOL. I have a band that is interested in your services.

Regards,
Paul