New SJC snare to add to the family :-)

matt986

Hey guys, I pick this beauty up on Friday :)

And since I mentioned the rest of the family, these are my two kits and other snares :)

Both Kits are:
22x22 kick
14x11 and 12x9 toms

Snares:
Brown antique swirl snare with custom badge and claw style hoops: 14x7 maple
Navy Blue wrap (gig snare) with diecast hoops 14x7 maple
Brown stain over wormy maple veneer with weathered brass hardware: 14x8 maple/acrylic hybrid

Just wanted to share, thanks so much for taking the time to check them out!!

Attachments

• antiquebrown_cutoutbadge.jpg
    antiquebrown_cutoutbadge.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,912
  • mattterribile_bluekit.jpg
    mattterribile_bluekit.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,595
  • custom name badge.JPG
    custom name badge.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 880
  • snare closeup.JPG
    snare closeup.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • DSC00164.JPG
    DSC00164.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 863
  • greenkit.JPG
    greenkit.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,050
thanks bro, I really dig your kit to, that blue finish is awesome!! There's a sense of pride i get from owning their drums....I cant really explain it, lol....how do you feel about your kit so far?

Wow Matt!!

I love it. Although the kick is a bit small for my liking! LOL

Just kidding, it is amazing.

The snare with the claws is really something to behold!!! Definitely an attention grabber.

Do you find that the claws interfere with your playing??? I always wondered that on snares with claws.

Again, beautiful kit and the tube lugs look amazing.

Hey mikei,

Honestly i cant tell for sure yet, haven't played this beauty. I pick it up on friday. However, the claws on the toms do not interfere at all, and the guys from SJC said that i shouldn't have any problem with these claws interfering. The hoops are 12ply thick too, so they can take a beating as far as rim shots go, but to preserve the finish i will be covering the part of the hoop i do rim shots on with gaffing tape so as no to chip too much of the finish. I'll be sure to update about how it plays when i get it home friday.

Thanks so much for your compliments!!

This, from MSNBC:

SJC Drum Company is recalling all snare drums made with the Antique Swirl due to the possiblity of lead-based paint/stain from China.
Please return your drum to:

Johnny Getz
Cylinders Of Sound
Seminole, Florida

A substitute Percussion Plus snare will be temporarily sent to you until such time that the stain/paint can be tested. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Attachments

• Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 746
lol oh man I hope not, :) It's worth the lead poisoning even if it is true, lol...

Nice try though, you had me for a second!!

This, from MSNBC:

SJC Drum Company is recalling all snare drums made with the Antique Swirl due to the possiblity of lead-based paint/stain from China.

Johnny Getz
Cylinders Of Sound
Seminole, Florida

A substitute Percussion Plus snare will be temporarily sent to you until such time that the stain/paint can be tested. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

ROFLOL, That was good.

Awesome drums man, that snare is def one of a kind.

SJC does some amazing work. Truly unique and original.
Congrats!

Thanks Drumsword, I couldn't resist it, I have never seen anything like it either :)

Tom, the weathered brass is definitely one of my favorite things that SJC can do, I really really love it

Hateplow, thanks for your kind words, these guys rock and i will by my drums from them till i can't play drums anymore (so probably the day i die, lol)

Wow, those are some sweet drums, have fun playing them!

How is the 22x22 size?

I really like deep bass drums, and the depths make the smaller (20, 22's) sound so much better to me.

I've even thought about a 22x24 to switch back and forth from my 20x26 --& I've only played a 26 or 28 for the last 19 years, so going down would be a big deal to me.

But, I do like the real deep smaller kicks too.

Great finishes on your stuff too, and I hope it all serves you well for years!

Karl, I really like the deeper kicks on this size, I feel it gives a depth and richness to the tone that more shallow drums cannot give. Just my personal tastes, but i really like a 22x22. A 22x24 would sound monstrous, i tried one of those out (my buddy has one) and it was way too loud and boomy for my tastes. He had to muffle the hell out of it. But then again, he isn't too great at tuning.

Thanks for your compliments!!

Thanks markv, yeah they do sound as good as they look, i really really love the sound out of these. I use either Remo coated ambassadors or the new Remo vintage head line that came out over the summer. Gives a nice, fat, warm tone.

Thanks for your comments! I'm really proud of these!!

This, from MSNBC:

Johnny Getz
Cylinders Of Sound
Seminole, Florida

Nicely done, Johnny. Good stuff.

As for the drums, they are "Matthew T. Incredible!"
I remember you defending the honor of SJC in a custom drum thread a few months back and I respect the fact that you put your money where your mouth is. You believe in SJC and that's good enough for me. Simply stunning.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the 'Brown stain over wormy maple veneer with weathered brass hardware: 14x8 maple/acrylic hybrid' cost you?

Tom

Tenpastten, I remember that thread well, lol everyone was sayin that SJC was just a keller dresser-upper company.....but I thank you for your comments and I'm glad you like their work on these pieces.

Drumbandit, this snare would have retailed somewhere around $1700, it would be that high because aside from the veneer I have a fade going on in the wood sections as well. If you didnt do that it would be more like 1500, but that is retail. I didn't pay that under my endorsement with them. Best thing you can do is email Mike ( [email protected] ) for an up to date quote on it. If you reference my snare he might know which one you are talking about.

I usually keep my thoughts within my head. When I saw that snare, here is what happened...

Scrolling up from the bottom, he looks at the kits and other snare, taking in their beauty. He scrolls up a bit more to lay his eyes on the new snare. "HOLY S***!!!" he yells with his mouth wide open. He continues to stare, mouth open wide with drool down his chin. Once his senses fully recover, he moves his mouse to the "Post Reply" button.

This all actually happened except for the drool part. Gorgeous snare, unbelievable.

Back