DIY Snare with vintage / trap tribute kit

jonutarr

Hi guys, new here, I posted this on another forum I became a member of & it was deleted because of Links to this site and others (don't know the point of the internet is without links) I hope I can get comfortable here

I embarked on something a little different on this kit, inspired by the trap kits of the 1920's ( example , example ) I sourced all piece's from different locations and being in a small country town in QLD Australia it was all received by mail, The snare I measured, glued, drilled and put together are parts from the good people at drummaker.com, It's my first acoustic snare and I'm really happy with the way it turned out sonically and visually

The 28X12" bass drum is the only thing vintage on the kit, made by Premier for Dallas Drums dated around the 1930's before Dallas merged with Arbiter, the new wrap is taped over the original to preserve the vintage goodness, still has the original calf heads, working on getting the best feel and sound out of it, the extra bass and volume over my last 22"er is nice, the 10.5X5.5 16X8 toms are Chinese toms, these are where modern toms were derived from, the sound it's kind of half way between a western toms and bongos, the calf skins give them are really nice warmth
Also got new Cymbals :) a Dream Bliss 20" ride and 10" splash, I've quickly become very fond these, the ride is so dynamic and the bell sound is so nice, it's like there's a reverb unit attached :p :D
The temple block is great fun to play

Done a wedding gig on Saturday night and the kit went great

I may add and subtract in the future but this is it for now

Click HD for a decent sound Check
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0OEs_sL3I

and some pic's ...

dsc01585g.jpg

dsc01586ec.jpg

dsc01595.jpg

dsc01606s.jpg

dsc01604o.jpg

Wow! That has go to be the most original kit I've ever seen here. You did a great job there. Love it when people think 'outside the box' (you've actually got back to an older box, but whatever ;-) ). The kit actually sounds good too. Please post more clips of full songs of you can.
What misses btw are those 'low-hats'/sockcymbals(?), if it has those it would be even more acurate.

Thanks mate & yes there is some unauthentic parts to my kit but I gig with this so I need to make it practical, a lowboy would be fun though
I had gig last night that I got some footage of, I will try an upload it

I had a look at your YT clip btw, interesting song and nice drumming!

I can not believe that nobody else has reacted on your kit by the way. I totally understand that you have to make the kit practical for playing, so the hats need to be up. But as a gimmick it could be cool to have lowboys :).
Very curious for your gig footage.

Wow this is awesome! I LOVE the 28 kick (It's hard for me to not play mine 100% of the time) You can't go wrong with a massive BD atleast thats what I think.

I can not believe that nobody else has reacted on your kit by the way. I totally understand that you have to make the kit practical for playing, so the hats need to be up. But as a gimmick it could be cool to have lowboys :).
Very curious for your gig footage.

Sorry I haven't got back to you Frank, as the Pixies said; Where was my mind? :)

Here's a little clip of us playing, the toms get a little bit of play time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FCNFuMdKQ0

Back