The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Renardvert........Thanks for the link to Buddy on the snare only. THAT was rare!!!

I've only seen him twice in a live performance.
Once at Phoenix Dragway (of all places!!)
and the second on the Tonight Show when dueling with Ed Shaughnessey....which was mind blowing and surreal at the same time.

When he performed at the dragway, I saw him do a left-handed drum roll with my own eyes and STILL couldn't believe what I was seeing.

He was incredible.

Buddy Rich is a great drummer, the drummer I take private lessons from was taught by Buddy. What are your thoughts on him?

-MNDrums

What are our thoughts on Buddy? or What are our thoughts on your instructor? :)
I was not aware that Buddy taught. I always heard that he didn't teach.
Who is your instructor who was taught by Buddy?

Buddy Rich is a great drummer, probably the best ever. Superb to watch and listen to.
I would not have wanted to work for Buddy. Even if I played sax in his big band, and he didn't bawl me out, I would not have wanted to witness his temper with others. Uncool.

Does your instructor bawl you out? Was he ever bawled out by Buddy?

Buddy Rich is a great drummer, the drummer I take private lessons from was taught by Buddy. What are your thoughts on him?

-MNDrums

I know that you're asking about Buddy and not your drum teacher - Some people!

Anyway, I really enjoy watching Buddy Rich play. His left wrist action on the snare was amazing - I have good wrists, but not that good. Also, Buddy Rich was certainly a character and a half.

If you do a search, you can probably find millions (well maybe not millions) of threads about him.

-MNDrums

Buddy didn't teach at all,and didn't give lessons.Your teacher may have learned a few things from watching Buddy,or may have even spoken to him at some time,but not from private lessons.Sorry man,but that's just not true.

Steve B

Buddy didn't teach at all,and didn't give lessons.Your teacher may have learned a few things from watching Buddy,or may have even spoken to him at some time,but not from private lessons.Sorry man,but that's just not true.

Steve B
Thanks Steve, I was waiting for someone to back me up in this thread.
Buddy never personally taught. That is fact.

"Buddy Rich, born Bernard Rich on September 30, 1917, in Brooklyn, NY, was an American drummer and band leader, who, in his day, was billed as "the world's greatest drummer" and "the world's fastest drummer." Rich was known for his virtuosic technique, power, groove, and speed — as well as being helpful and friendly, with a very short temper.
Buddy Rich died of heart failure on April 2, 1987 following surgery for a malignant brain tumor; he was 69."

One of my favorite concerts he did... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKc90kuAaE&feature=kp

I'm checking out this collection and it's blowing my mind: http://www.amazon.com/The-Solos-Live-Buddy-Rich/dp/B00J59VUEW

The thing that's so amazing about these solos is they're all different. They each sound fresh and spontaneous. They also show sides of Buddy that I hadn't heard before. Buddy's solos are always technically impressive, but on this recording, you really get to hear the depth of his musical ideas and the kinds of rhythmic phrases that aren't necessarily part of his best-known solos.

If you're a Buddy fan, you probably have already heard it. Anyone who hasn't owes it to herself to check it out. It's just superb.

Here's an excellent YouTube video of an 8 minute BR solo-
focusing entirely on Buddy's hand/stick techniques, close-up with plenty of time to watch the strokes.
Compared to other videos that show a variety of angles showing the entire drum set, footwork, crashing, etc. , this video shows Buddy's sticking on the drum heads.
Amazing, but also instructive compared to other angles shot of Buddy's techniques (which for Buddy were instinctive!).
http://youtu.be/GX4_jVbDW7I

Buddy Rich Stick action close-up

Here's an excellent YouTube video of an 8 minute BR solo-
focusing entirely on Buddy's hand/stick techniques, close-up with plenty of time to watch the strokes.
Compared to other videos that show a variety of angles showing the entire drum set, footwork, crashing, etc. , this video shows Buddy's sticking on the drum heads.
Amazing, but also instructive compared to other angles shot of Buddy's techniques (which for Buddy were instinctive!).
http://youtu.be/GX4_jVbDW7I

I'm checking out this collection and it's blowing my mind: http://www.amazon.com/The-Solos-Live-Buddy-Rich/dp/B00J59VUEW

The thing that's so amazing about these solos is they're all different. They each sound fresh and spontaneous. They also show sides of Buddy that I hadn't heard before. Buddy's solos are always technically impressive, but on this recording, you really get to hear the depth of his musical ideas and the kinds of rhythmic phrases that aren't necessarily part of his best-known solos.

If you're a Buddy fan, you probably have already heard it. Anyone who hasn't owes it to herself to check it out. It's just superb.

Agree. The Disney solo is particularly noteworthy. His level of attack and intensity is off the charts. He's got the audience in a powerful vise between his toms and snare.

Agree. The Disney solo is particularly noteworthy. His level of attack and intensity is off the charts. He's got the audience in a powerful vise between his toms and snare.
That's my favorite, too!

Thanks Steve, I was waiting for someone to back me up in this thread.
Buddy never personally taught. That is fact.

Hey All,

I think Buddy Rich did actually "teach" one drummer. Highly unlikely Buddy really taught a lesson... maybe Buddy demonstrated? Unless I am mistaken it was Donny Osborne, Jr.. Donny played for Mel Torme for 20 years. And Mel and Buddy were life long friends. It was an agreement between Don Osborne Sr. and Buddy... Don Sr. was CEO of one of the major drum companies, back in the day... etc. blah blah...

But, reality Buddy did not ever really teach students.. correct. Just thought I would "weigh" in on this... lols

Vote here: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll294038xeFA74C3a-11

Results are here: http://www.poll-maker.com/results294038x715D2F74-11

As much as I respect all drummers, I was never a fan, not even as a kid. Just curious to see who likes him or not, and why.

I saw him in the late 70's. Pretty awesome drummer and I respect his playing ability. But, I am not a fan; he strikes me as an arrogant, self-centered SOB. I would not be interested in spending time with him. He could have learned a lesson in humility from other greats such as Gadd, Smith, Hamilton and Burmuda.

GJS

Louis Bellson is far better and wasn't self centered and angry. That man does not get enough respect. Buddy gets far too much.

Louis Bellson is far better and wasn't self centered and angry. That man does not get enough respect. Buddy gets far too much.

Buddy regardless ,was technically and musically superior to LB when it came to drumming.
Louis had his niche and was a competent foil to BR.but after seeing both up close and personal ,it's BR.
Just because he was an abrasive ass at times ,does not negate his overall record of being one of the greatest ever.

Well, my Dad could have beat up your Dad.

Back