GREAT jam in Hollywood!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I was invited a few times by Ace Frehley drummer Matt Starr to stop by a recently started all-star jam in Hollywood. I said I was going on Wednesday, and was contacted by co-organizer Chuck Wright (Quiet Riot bassist) about what songs (from a list) I'd like to do, and if I had any time restrictions. I began to sense some real organization, and it hit home when I got a full songlist the next day with set times, song order, and who was playing on each!

Well, the whole thing was great, guys on the list included Jonathon Moffett, Tim Yeung, Jason Sutter, Glen Sobel, Gilby Clarke (one of the hosts), members of Lizzie Borden, Prescott Niles (bass, The Knack) Bryce from Lifehouse, and more than I can remember. Chuck, Matt and Gilby were the house band, and played maybe half of the songs where needed. I also ran into a few photographers I know, and our own Masonni (Nick Mason) was in the crowd!

I was slated to play Surrender (Cheap Trick, not U2) and was asked just before if I'd like to also play the next song on the list, Come Together. Other than that, there were no surprises, the night moved along pretty much as scheduled (apart from a late start.) It was highly organized, and accounts for the evening being more like a rock show than any other jam I've been to. Great sound, lights, and a little fog now and then! Granted, no household names there that night, but a lot of players with stature in the community and the business were playing, and just being themselves.

If anyone in the L.A. area wants to visit, it's at the Lucky Strike bowling alley at Hollywood & Highland, Wednesdays at about 8:45pm (ends around 1am.) It's upscale with a hip, rock&roll vibe with good food and drink, and you can even bowl if you like. No cover charge, come on down and dig the music! Maybe bring ear plugs. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jam-Night-at-Lucky-Strike-Live/331032043754124

Bermuda

PS - parking is plentiful, but can cost up to $10-15 depending where you park and how long you stay. I parked in the convenient underground parking there, $15 all night.

Last edited:
Wow ! Very cool !

Every September I go to Burbank, Ca. to jam with my 1960's garage band buddies.

I'll have to go check that out this year when I'm in town.

That is one of the coolest things i have heard in awhile, and i like that it was so organized.. sounds like guys doing what they love cause they love to do it :)

I knew from Glen there was going to be a jam, but I had no clue it was going to be such an extensive number of drummers and other musicians.

Dang, I should have gone!

That sounds so cool, it really sounds like a laid back, West Coast type of thing. No cover charge too. What an excellent jam.

I'm trying to get back this Wednesday, it's invitation only to play and I'm waiting for confirmation. :)

Back