Hitting yourself while playing drums...

SergiuM

I'm sure you've all done it.. Your playing and for some reason your stick clips the side of your thumb or you hit your hand on a rim. I hit my pointer finger on my snare rim while i decided to not hit my snare last second and tried going for a tom instead. It hurts soooo bad, lol.

Definitely! I hit myself often. The worst is when I hit myself in the face. Although hitting a finger hurts quite a bit as well

I have long suspected that Kenny Aronoff wears glasses/goggles to protect his eyes from stick debris.

the worst is when you go to smash the crap outa a cymbal and you either miss it or follow through to much and smash ure drum rim with ure wrist or fingers. Ive also gotten sticks stuck between my face and my glasses.......

Yes, I hit myself sometimes, mostly hitting the left hand with the right hand during some hi-hat/snare patterns, and ouch!!! it does hurt a lot, it's actually surprising how hard we hit with the sticks, even on a slick HH patterns, it amazes me everytimes :)

it does hurt a lot, it's actually surprising how hard we hit with the sticks, even on a slick HH patterns, it amazes me everytimes :)

It really does! The stick actually carries a ton of momentum when we play. Drums are definitely the most dangerous instrument(s) you can play, haha

It's an occupational hazard. The worst ai ever did was hit myself in the 'nads one. Hurt like hell but I kept playing.

Wow.. I guess i should stop complaining about my finger then. :)

The one that always gets me is when I'm going to catch a cymbal and I am off just a little and the cymbal slides underneath my thumbnail.

ughhh

The worst I ever did was smack myself directly in the nose- HARD. There were tears going down my cheeks, but I didn't stop rocking man!

Ever had a big blood blister form during a show, then pop, spewing blood across your snare? My bassist thought bloodstains on the snare head were rock and roll. I wasn't so sure.

Luckily no nose bleeds or face hits for me. But I've smacked my left hand with the right hand while doing crossovers. Man, that was painful!

Now I'm less embarrassed knowing it happens to the best of us...

Nads with the butt end of the stick. OUCH! Luckily it was during solo practice.

I've also done the left hand slap while hi-hatting (is that even a word).

I guess it's got to do with the odds. No matter how good you may be, the chance of swinging a stick thousands of times and not having it it anything but your target are low but not zero.

Play with care folks!

I always wondered about both Kenny Aronoff and Omar Hakim. They both used to wear what looked like high fashion safety glasses. Maybe we hit harder back then. I have had a stick split in my hands and the flesh of my hand got caught in the crack. The worst thing was having the beater off of my kick pedal come flying off and hit me in the shin. God that hurt!

"Drumming is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

I used to split my knuckles frequently on my snare rim. my coated heads were always stained red.

Hit my fingers and thumbs with sloppy steikes occasionally. this is usually when I'm counting songs in.

I have even completely missed my floor tom before and hit my kneecap! more than once aswell!
You don't realise how hard you actually hit the drums 'til you hit your knee at full pelt!

Hit myself in the face and head every now and then.

Popped my thumnail clean off with a mis-placed cymbal catch

And bruised my shins before from.over excited bass drum beater bounce-back.

I've managed to erradicate most of these but, accidents happen!

The hardest thing is to keep playing with conviction when you've knocked the wind out of your sails! Haha terrible!

Glad it's not just me!

I have even completely missed my floor tom before and hit my kneecap! more than once aswell!
You don't realise how hard you actually hit the drums 'til you hit your knee at full pelt

I was waiting for this one! Man, it hurts. Thighs too, leaves a nice bruise. I've hit myself in the face also, but thankfully I usually just clip my hair or my ear, thinking, "Wow, that could've been a lot worse."

One time while playing at a bar, I didn't notice when my stick split and kept playing on it. At some point, I hit the snare, and the stick broke, bouncing the tip directly into my eye. I did not have time to close it, and unfortunately, I missed a few bars while reeling in pain. Next day, it looked a bit like I got punched.

Back