Got a very fair trade at Sam Ash

Fat Elvis

Pioneer Member
My 11 year old daughter needed a bass for her band at school. I had little cash, and what I had i wanted to keep. I have lots of drum gear i really dont use too much so I thought i would bring it in. This is what I wound up trading and getting:

Trade:
Older Starclassic Birch, Great Condition, Fusion sizes
14 x 6.5 Craviotto Solid Maple snare

Got:
New Ludwig Classic Maple 13, 16, 24
New 14 x 6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic Snare
New 24" Superkick I head
New Ibanez Kids Bass ($169)
New Gig Bag / backpack
Extra Bass Strings
Tuner

Letting the Craviotto go wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. I never played it out -- only record with it. Im stoked to have the Supraphonic. Letting the Tama go was harder than I thought, but it's not my speed anymore. Anyway, I think they hooked me up -- I wasnt expecting much but when I do the math, it's like they gave me retail for it all.

Damn! I've gotten robbed every time I trade something in. You're making me feel even worse!

In reality though, good for you. Those Ludwigs should be sweet!

Holy smokes!

That's a great deal!!! How much value to do you think you got for your Craviotto?

Holy smokes!

That's a great deal!!! How much value to do you think you got for your Craviotto?

must have given him credit at full retail value or something... (I'm talking retail as in MSRP, not usual discounted retail in store price).

or he must've traded in a large kit.

I need to go visit Sam Ash and maybe look into doing some trading... sheesh!

nice work Elvis!

Last edited:
Starclassic was a 10, 12, 14, 22. The only thing unique about it was that the kick was turned into a virgin and everything was rewrapped in a purple and silver sparkle. It was a really nice kit, but it was still "just" a starclassic.

I am not sure what the value they gave me for anything, but I know they were asking $1400 for the Ludwig, $400 for the Supra, $169 for the bass + about $100 for the strings, bag and tuner. So i figured $2000 worth of stuff and i didnt pay anything out of pocket -- well, no -- i did pay for the SKI -- forgot that. I did it after the transaction was complete, but im sure i could have had him throw that in as well.

I bought the Craviotto for $800 + tax -- i bought the Starclassic for $600 and then spent $300 to get the work done on it. So all in all, i made out. Im quite pleased. They originally wanted my DW in trade, but I didnt want to give it up.

The funny / retarded thing is I already own a Ludwig Classic Maple -- same champagne sparkle. My first one is a 22" kick and has traditional mounting and hardware, where this one is rims mounted and has racheted spurs. I have no idea why i wanted it, i just did.

One will be my practice kit, the other will be my gig kit. I will probably gig the 24. I will say that I am a sucker for Champagne Sparkle -- which is what attracted me to this kit. Now all 3 of my kits are champagne sparkle, which is actually great for switching up gear to fit a style.

i actually do remember asking him how much he valued my stuff at, and he said i believe he said "the kit was $1400 and the snare is $400" -- he then said after he told me the price of the snare "we have to be able to make money on it". This statement is the only reason i think he was referring to my stuff and not his stuff (which was the same prices). How he gave me $1400 for the starclassic i have NO idea. I figured he gave me $1000 for the kit and $600 for the snare and discounted everything else. Who knows.... im just stoked. And I will always go back to that guy for everything.

i actually do remember asking him how much he valued my stuff at, and he said i believe he said "the kit was $1400 and the snare is $400" -- he then said after he told me the price of the snare "we have to be able to make money on it". This statement is the only reason i think he was referring to my stuff and not his stuff (which was the same prices). How he gave me $1400 for the starclassic i have NO idea. I figured he gave me $1000 for the kit and $600 for the snare and discounted everything else. Who knows.... im just stoked. And I will always go back to that guy for everything.

I'm sure he was probably looking at 13 16 24 not exactly standard/wanted sizes, easier to sell the STARCLASSIC and he can make more money on the CRAVIOTTO than the supra.

great to see Fat Elvis back.....i loved all his posts sooo mmmmmmhhhhkmany years ago..and his avatar

Bernhard

okay so i finally went back into sam ash to pick up a aquarian vintage resonant bass drum head that i ordered (they ordered the wrong one, so i get to wait longer). Anyway, they had my star classic in the center of their drum stage — as the highlight of their display, which i was proud of.

I noticed the description on the kit was "Used Tama Starclassic Custom". Which I thought was fair. Then I saw the price —*$2,150. Wow! Needless to say that they will not be selling this kit for a long time (if ever). Unless they can find a rich kid that wants that kit and they don't care what it costs. But just to put it in perspective:

I paid $625 for that kit (used). and had it rewrapped for like $300. Now its a killer kit — sounds awesome, but $600 more than a brand new one? We are in DW money now, folks. Lots of nice kits for that money.

The next time i go in, i will snap a picture of the display. Its pretty cool. I am not sure what they are selling the craviotto for -- i will ask next time.

Back