Weird

M

Mike_In_KC

I love things like this....

I had never heard of a clave until yesterday while learning Free's "All Right Now" which features a clave throughout the song. Then today in the general forum claves come up in two different threads... This happens all the time and i think there may have already been a thread on this - but here is another one - my friend and I are talking about person X who we have not seen in a while then the next day I see person X at the store. Wonder if there is word for this - other than coincidence of course.

Clave - I like to say that. Clave.

Well, there are claves, and then there's clave, which is not necessarily played with claves.

Although you would be correct if you did. :)

Bermuda

Well, there are claves, and then there's clave, which is not necessarily played with claves.

Although you would be correct if you did. :)

Bermuda

I just continue to learn stuff - thanks Bermuda!

Clave...

Wonder if there is word for this - other than coincidence of course.

I think that word pretty much sums it up, by definition. I hear many people use the word ironic in a case like this but that's not irony at all.

Wonder if there is word for this - other than coincidence of course.

Well, coincidence .... but never forget, everything happens for a reason. The universe is so.

Maybe it was a calling to get some claves and start learning the clave beat.

By the way, another signature use of 'claves' is on the Who's Magic Bus. Makes the whole song.

I saw Mark Fidrych shut out the Orioles at Briggs Stadium.

Have not heard the term Briggs Stadium for a long time - what a ball park. I did not see it live but I remember watching Monday Night Baseball (anyone remember that one?) and seeing the Fidrych and Royals pitcher Dennis Leonard in a pitcher's duel that the Royals won 1-0 or 2-1 maybe.... Too bad he got hurt in the wrong decade!

I'm sure that clavical and clave come from the same Latin root.

I know this isn't anything new for alot of folks, but if you find this type of "coincident" stuff interesting, read that book "The Celestine Prophecy." It's all fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously, but it talks about things that happen in life that can make you get goosebumps. I don't like reading at all, but someone recommended that book to me and I couldn't put it down.

I found it interesting, at least...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Celestine_Prophecy

"The narrator is in a transitional period of his life, and begins to notice instances of synchronicity, which is the belief that coincidences have a meaning personal to those who experience them."

I think that word pretty much sums it up, by definition. I hear many people use the word ironic in a case like this but that's not irony at all.

Quite ironic that they would think that, though... Right?

Tapped into the "collective unconsciousness" it seems. LOL. Well two clavicles could be used as Claves. What is not to love with African-Cuban latin rhythms. I've always wondered since eastern and western music is so different would different populations brains react differently to different music. I know rhythm perception is mainly a left brain (auditory cortex of temporal lobe) and our response right brain and cerebellum. Cognitive neuroscience is a hot field.

Have not heard the term Briggs Stadium for a long time - what a ball park. I did not see it live but I remember watching Monday Night Baseball (anyone remember that one?) and seeing the Fidrych and Royals pitcher Dennis Leonard in a pitcher's duel that the Royals won 1-0 or 2-1 maybe.... Too bad he got hurt in the wrong decade!

Ah baseball's glory days. When The Bird was the word. Dennis Leonard too. What a great pitcher with that big chunky 'stache. George Brett greatest player in my lifetime was just getting started back in '76. Bad News Bears movie out that year too. Best ever :)

Ah baseball's glory days. When The Bird was the word. Dennis Leonard too. What a great pitcher with that big chunky 'stache. George Brett greatest player in my lifetime was just getting started back in '76. Bad News Bears movie out that year too. Best ever :)

For sure - I was a super lucky kid also. My dad had season tickets to the Royals from 1975 until about 1988. I got see most all of the Royals-Yankees playoff games that were played in KC - BIG TIME heartaches in 76,77 and 78 - we finally broke through in 80. Brett hit a 3-run homer off of Goose Gossage to finally get the Royals over the Yankees hump! Then we of course went on to lose to Steve Carlton and the Phillies.... Then during my junior year in high school Brett and the Royals brought us a World Series championship - ah good times....

Yes children the Royals used to be one of the best franchises in all of baseball during the 70's and most of the 80's. After the owner, the great Ewing Kauffman died the Royals were essentially bought by Wal Mart. You know the rest of the story...

whew! Rant over.

MM

Back