18x14 1967 Bass Drum

drozzy

Howdy all,

After a lot of delays Ive finally completed a little restoration project. Made of all 1967 or prior parts (scoured from a few different drums, eg the lugs and claws and rods are from an old pre-premier drum).

Little beauty sounds fantastic, just what I was looking for, an open, jazzy bass perfect for the acoustic music I play with all acoustic guitars. I dont really use the rail mount, but i left it there for its, erm, aesthetic value.

100_0360.jpg

Comments? (The drum, including all parts except heads, cost me around $150 AU, most parts from ebay.)

Can't wait to get out of this apartment and play it!

Oh, before I forget, the main shell and wrap are all original, 40 years old without any yellowing!

The brand of the shell is Canora, a cheap japanese brand, of which I cant find much information at all but have been told on a few instances that it is a pre-pearl drum.

Nice job! what heads are you using on it? It's gotta have a nice little boom.

Fyberskin front and back. Fiberskin powerstroke on the batter and normal on the reso.

Has a very nice little boom. :) Just trying to fine tune it now to find the sweet spot, vry very nearly there now.

Looks like a nice little kick. You're info. on it being a pre-Pearl Pearl is probably correct. Have you painted and/or sealed the interior?

Very nice!
Which wood is used for the shell? I`m not into those vintage drums very much but I heard about some "popular" wood combinations.

For example thin beech shells with re-rings or combinations with poplar or gum tree. Did they even built full maple or birch shells back then?

However, glad you finished it finally! :)

Karl

I think that baby looks sweet! Love to hear it and what I can see of that fiber shell I think that adds a nice touch to its classical look. Nice job! I too like that rail mount

Back