Nervous about Tama Superstar Drum Set

jwildman

I've been looking for a new tama set that I can buy in about a year and I'm thinking of getting the superstar SL Custom Hyperdrive. But I'm wondering if the toms won't be deep enough for my kind of playing. I play mainly rock. If anyone who owns this set please tell me of their experiance with the mounted toms.

If you play mainly Rock, I would probably go with something with a little more depth myself.
But, I've got a Hyperdrive kit myself and I can get the toms to sound pretty damn big, it's just a matter of finding that sweet spot in the tuning.

If you really like it, then definitely go for it, they are beautiful kits.

At first I was slightly disheartened by the super shallowness of the toms but after less than an hour of tuning, I go the toms to sing with a great punch.
Don't be worried, it's a great kit, but I would HIGHLY recommend to buy a new snare when you buy the kit itself because the one included is absolute sh** (IMO)

I think it's a common misconception that shallower toms will always give a smaller sound but I've heard some shallow toms that sounded as big if not bigger than deep toms...although that may depend on many other factors as well. Deeper power toms generally have a quicker decay and emphasize the attack more but a little bit shallower toms, from my experience, have a very well-rounded sound.

I'll be the guy who admits to not liking shallow toms. They do sound different and you do lose depth of tone. Try playing those ridiculous 80s kits with the really deep toms and tell me that it's no big deal. It is. I'm not trying to say that you can't salvage some tone out of them, but they're not going to be as full and rich as drums with deeper shells.

I play an 8x12 and 9x13 rack toms and often wish they were deeper because they can feel bonky sometimes when I'd rather they were boomy. On the other hand, I do like how much easier it is to get around the kit while sitting low.

Back