Kit Upgrade, Looking for Advice

SMB13

As the title says, I'm trying to upgrade my kit. I'm more than likely going to sell a guitar amp of mine and the old kit to fund the new one.

I'm looking at about $800-$900 to spend on shells and I would like to know what are some nice model kits to be on the lookout for? I'm probably going to go the birch route, and would like a 12", 14", 16" setup with 24" kick. I'll definitely being buying used. I'm on Craigslist too much to not go used, lol.

So, what should I be looking for? There was a Mapex Meridian birch kit for sale not too far from me for $500, and despite me saying I wanted to go with birch, there's also a 1979 Ludwig USA rocker kit. I don't know much about them, but I guess someone does. They're 6 ply maple/poplar shells with the olive/blue rounded badge. He only wants $900 for them, but also comes with some stands and cymbals.

Thanks for the help!

I would say that given your price point you should definitely consider new.

There are a couple reasons I think. First, buying new gets you a warranty and some after sales service.

Secondly, in this day and age of drum kit making you can get some sweet shell packs new for under $1000.

Just searching kits under $1000 I found this link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1016--Ac...ms=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyI4Il19fQ

Some awesome shell packs there. Good luck!!

Don't buy new. You'll find a lot more bang for your buck in the used market.

I'm assuming you live in the US. What city/state are you in? What type of kit are you playing now?

Don't buy new. You'll find a lot more bang for your buck in the used market.

I'm assuming you live in the US. What city/state are you in? What type of kit are you playing now?

Yeah, I'm definitely going used. I agree with you on that. I live in Ohio, about an hour from Columbus and 15 minutes from Athens. Right now I'm playing a frankenkit of Pearl Soundcheck series and some kind of Pulse line. They don't sound too terrible, but it's definitely time for something new. I've had my eye on craigslist and there are a couple of seemingly nice kits, I just don't quite know what to spring for or else I already would have lol.

Buying used is a very good idea. Although, I would also recommend the PDP Concept Birch or Maple 6 piece kits. The birch runs at around $780 and the maple is around $880. They both sound great.

Same questions as every other thread we see like this.

What cymbals are you currently using? If you're playing on ZBT's and B8's currently, I'd highly suggest letting us convince you to re-assess your priorities.

What kinds of music do you envision yourself playing on this kit?

1U / 2D with a 12/14/16/24 should be doable for your budget. You'll have an easier time shopping used if you can compromise on that.

The benefits of buying new are that you don't have to compromise on the sizes, color, finish, etc.

The benefit of buying used is that you can often find Pro kits for 800-900.

Same questions as every other thread we see like this.

What cymbals are you currently using? If you're playing on ZBT's and B8's currently, I'd highly suggest letting us convince you to re-assess your priorities.

What kinds of music do you envision yourself playing on this kit?

1U / 2D with a 12/14/16/24 should be doable for your budget. You'll have an easier time shopping used if you can compromise on that.

The benefits of buying new are that you don't have to compromise on the sizes, color, finish, etc.

The benefit of buying used is that you can often find Pro kits for 800-900.

The cymbals definitely needed upgraded as well, but that will be happening too.

As for sizes, the 12/14/16/24 is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm confused on the 1U/2D part.

One up, two down. One mounted tom and two floor toms. I've never been sold on this configuration and if I was buying long-term, I'd look for something with two mounted toms first, two floor toms second. The single mounted tom fad is going to end, the two mounted toms configuration will become fashionable again and you'll wish you had that drum. And, I prefer mounted floor toms over floor toms with legs. Let the debate begin

Stay away from the Ludwig Rockers set. Not good. The only way I'd consider it is if the cymbals were quality and there were quite a few of them. Then I'd huck the drums.

As for sizes, the 12/14/16/24 is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm confused on the 1U/2D part.

... The single mounted tom fad is going to end, the two mounted toms configuration will become fashionable again and you'll wish you had that drum. And, I prefer mounted floor toms over floor toms with legs. Let the debate begin

Stay away from the Ludwig Rockers set. Not good. The only way I'd consider it is if the cymbals were quality and there were quite a few of them. Then I'd huck the drums.

No debate here - 5 pc. w/2 up, 1 down is how I roll.

About the Rockers - there are two separate 5 pc. Rocker kits (with snares), available locally.
They've been for sale for $150 for each kit for several months with no takers.
I can't believe someone is trying to get $900 - if they're the same thing.

Edit: also, the trouble with most CL ads is that you're likely to get something like 'drum kit for sale' with
a grossly inflated price. Lots of times, they don't even mention a brand or line, much less sizes.

One up, two down. One mounted tom and two floor toms. I've never been sold on this configuration and if I was buying long-term, I'd look for something with two mounted toms first, two floor toms second. The single mounted tom fad is going to end, the two mounted toms configuration will become fashionable again and you'll wish you had that drum. And, I prefer mounted floor toms over floor toms with legs. Let the debate begin

Ah, gotcha. I was actually planning on getting a tom clamp/cymbal stand to hold it where it would be if it were a mounted tom, as opposed to just letting it sit on the floor. I wasn't aware that they don't make mounted 14" toms.

I suppose I could get used to two floor toms if that's not doable, but with that in mind I'm not opposed to a 12/13/16/24 set up. I'm mainly just looking to up the quality of my equipment, really.

There are nice quality used kits on Craigslist Columbus/Dayton/Cincy all the time, at great prices. You just need to be vigilant.

I just sold my PDP Concept Maple kit a few weeks ago on Columbus CL. It was a great kit and I'd recommend it highly. In fact I believe there is a blue one on there now. Its at a pawnshop, but I think they'd probably sell it separate from the rack.

If you need guidance you can always PM me!

Michael

The single mounted tom fad is going to end, the two mounted toms configuration will become fashionable again and you'll wish you had that drum.

I'm confused. What fad? The single mounted tom setup has been around much longer than the 2-up configuration and it has always been popular. I'm pretty sure that the 90+ year old "fad" will never end.

Although, I would keep the extra tom just in case.

I'm confused. What fad? The single mounted tom setup has been around much longer than the 2-up configuration and it has always been popular. I'm pretty sure that the 90+ year old "fad" will never end.

Although, I would keep the extra tom just in case.

Agreed, though I'm also a fan of buying the full range of tom sizes, because I have my own personal fads about once a week and like to take a tom off the shelf and put another back up.

If I were the OP, and buying used didn't work out, I'd grab one of the 2014 lacquered Exports in 8/10/12/14/16/18/24/whatever. They're beautiful, they're cheap, and they sound wonderful. Add a set of A's and you're done. Re-sell when you've outgrown them in a couple years. I test drove one last week and was shocked.

Last edited:
There are nice quality used kits on Craigslist Columbus/Dayton/Cincy all the time, at great prices. You just need to be vigilant.

I just sold my PDP Concept Maple kit a few weeks ago on Columbus CL. It was a great kit and I'd recommend it highly. In fact I believe there is a blue one on there now. Its at a pawnshop, but I think they'd probably sell it separate from the rack.

If you need guidance you can always PM me!

Michael

See, this is what I've been doing, but I don't know what exactly to be looking for (series wise). I know I want a nice birch or maybe maple, but kits will vary from maker to maker. That's why I was asking for ideas on what to watch for, lol.

There was a Mapex Meridian Birch in Northern Kentucky for $500. Those don't sound bad from all I've read.

See, this is what I've been doing, but I don't know what exactly to be looking for (series wise). I know I want a nice birch or maybe maple, but kits will vary from maker to maker. That's why I was asking for ideas on what to watch for, lol.

As far as brand/series... You'll receive a dozen or so conflicting answers for every one. I am of the opinion that the early Ludwig Rockers were awesome. American shells for $2-300.

$500 for the Mer-Birch seems expensive to me. Here's a double-kick birch at a pawn shop right next to me for $300. You could buy it, pay $100 to have it shipped, and still save $100 AND have a 2nd kick drum.....

Most intermediate kits are nice, regardless of the brand, wood, etc.. The most important things are that you get what you want, the sizes you want, the color you want, and that they sound good. Decide what compromises you're willing to make before looking for deals, and don't buy a deal when it isn't anything like what you wanted in the first place.

I have to completey disargee about 70's Ludwig Rockers.They are very good drums,and sound great,and are on par with anything made today in their price point.They are US made in Chicago.,the the old Damen Ave.Ludwig plant.

As far as 4 piece ,one up,one down...they never really went out of style,and were the standard for decades,and will continue to be for the forseable future.

The 16/18 " bass drum craze,with peter out then drummers finally stop talking about foot print and bulk,...when they finally figuer out a 20 x14 " bass drum is only TWO....yes TWO inches bigger,than an 18.That's about the with of two fingers.Give me a break.

More OT....to the OP,you'll need to factor in at LEAST one third of your budget for cymbals,used or new.Truth be told,I'd rather play a Peace drum set,with good heads and some A Zildjians before I play Yamaha Tour customs with Sabian Bs or Zildjian ZBT's.

Bad cymbals with just make to whole kit,sound bad.Buying used will also possibley double your buying power ,or even more. ..if you're dilligent,and have cash in hand.

Steve B

I see the Ludwig Rockers set the OP is talking about. The seller has dropped the price to $800. It was a regular 5 pc Rockers set with power toms (2U/1D) and he moved the 13" tom to make it a floor tom. The cymbals are garbage (Camber) so I put those at $0 value. I wouldn't touch it.

There most definitely are fads in drum setups. Yes, the 1U/1D setup has been in existence forever, but it went out of popularity in the 1970s when two mounted toms became popular. So for about 40 years, 2U/1D was the norm. One-up is popular again. I can't say why. My point was really that I'd never limit myself to that configuration or in drums sizes specific to that configuration.

Edit: It just dawned on me that those drums may not be Rockers. Rockers didn't use modular tom mounts and those tom mounts didn't come out until the mid 80s.

Last edited:
I see the Ludwig Rockers set the OP is talking about. The seller has dropped the price to $800. It was a regular 5 pc Rockers set with power toms (2U/1D) and he moved the 13" tom to make it a floor tom.

$800 is too much for those rockers. A rockers set just sold on my local CL for $200 (early 80's USA Rockers I). 300/400 would be a fair offer.

I have a cheap 12/13/16 Ludwig Accent that I set up as 1U2D for a while, and the 13" feels a bit uncanny in the floor position. Nothing like a real 14 feels, but not completely horrible.

Back