Favorite metal drummer?

Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

John Otto- metal? he gets my no. 1 vote. i could rave about him, but i'd be here for ages
Chris Adler- precision and sense of musicality have left me jaw-dropped
Matt McDonough- not the most dynamic drummer in terms of volume, but still a tremedously clean drummer, who rarely draws attention to himself out of the music's context

Attachments

• john otto.jpg
    john otto.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,513

Alucard said:
Yes, dear Reflux own your mum, i know wath i say...
i know wath you say as well, you said "I know every metal drummer alive" no offence but i think thats kind of unlikely. Although I'm sure you know a lot.

couldn't pick one...

Travis Smith
Dave Lombardo
Jimmy Degrasso
Bobby Jarsombek
Joey Jordison
Danny Carey
Gar Samuelson
Could Virgil Donati and Neal Peart be classed as metal?

Attachments

• Mustaine_.jpg
    Mustaine_.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,312
  • PEARLkit.jpg
    PEARLkit.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 3,576

i cannot believe that iv seen only one mention of SHANNON LARKIN, he's easily the best. just listen to godsmack's album "faceless" and you'll see why

I guess it depends on the individual and the music he/she(/it) listens to. I like very much metal music, like A7X, Roadrunner United, Trivium and so on. But I very often find the instrumental music from Arch Enemy very very good. When it comes to drummers, I would say that Joey Jordison is one of the best (in my opinion) and the fastest guys on the planet. Also, I think Pantera could be proud of their drummer too, or A7X, or Shadows Fall.
Honestly, I like J. Jordison and The Rev most.
By the way, does any of you guys know what could be The Rev's actual name?

Easy...

Justin Foley - Killswitch Engage
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
Andols Herrick - Former (Now back in Though) Chimaira
Mike Smith - Suffocation
Travis Smith - Trivium
Danney Carey - Tool (My Personal Favourite)
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
John Dolmayan - S O A D

Gene Hoglan. An original Truly ambidextrous. A scary machine to see live.

How can a fat guy move like that?

damn right igor is realy good best drummers is igor cavalera,derek roddy,raymond herrera,vinnie paul ;)

jonescrusher said:
Igor Cavalera!!!!

Danny Carey!!!!

im toatly with you igor cavalera and danny carey and of course raymond herrera and derek roddy they are best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeaaaa !!!!!!

DamageInc said:
Derek Roddy and Reno Killerich has the fastest feet in Metal. Reno now drums for Dimmu Borgir.

fastest feets sis derek roddy and raymond herrera ;)

Hmmm best metal drummer thats a tough one.

If where talking speed and technique or just personal prefence then I reckon the best metal drummers are top 5:

1. Gene Hogland - check out Death: Symbolic the album, you'll know what I mean!!!
2. Tomas Haake - bloody fast drummer and plays technical odd time signatures
3. Raymond Harrera - plays fast double bass but also has chops to match with his feet!!!
4. Igor Cavalera - awesome single stroke rolls and fills, with a wicked latin groove influence: plays for Sepultura of course
5. Peter Wildoer - unique style, fast technical etc etc: plays for Darkane.

Also, if hes not actually bull shitting, the drummer from Necrophagist Hannes Grossmann, listen to Epitaph and you'll know what I'm talking about, INSANE drums of that album, took 8 months aparently to record though ha ha ha ha

Jan Axel Blomberg (HELLHAMMER/Mayhem)
Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel)
Derek Roddy (Hate Eternal)
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
Cynic's drummer
Atheist's drummer
Devourment's drummer
Fear Factory's current (I guess... great double-bass playing!) drummer
Gene Hoglan (Death)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Paul Bostaph (Slayer)
Max Kolesne (Krisiun)
Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
Fenriz (Darkthrone)
Trym Torson (Emperor)
Vinnie Paul (Pantera)
Nickolas Mcbrain
Nickolas Barker
Mike Portnoy
Horgh (Immortal)
Frost (Satyricon)
Proscriptor (Absu)
Doc (Vader)
Vyl (Keep Of Kalessin)
Kataklysm's drummer
Quo Vadis' drummer (Canadian elites together with the others above)
Decomposed God's drummer
Dennis Ekdahl (Raise Hell)
Mithras' INSANE drummer
Diabolic's drummer (can't remember the guy's name now but he's almost in the Sandoval's league!)
Necrophagist's
Gorerotted's
Nile's

ENOUGH! Now we have a good and fair sample! ;)

(RE-edited post)

- Ivo

Last edited:

mmm best metal drummer, rather than do a list if i had to pick one, technically, i would have to pick Gene Hoglan, the guy has a good history stretching back 20 years, he is just as accomplished at doing fast (Darkness Decends anyone, the guy was like 17-18 when this came out truely one of the BEST metal albums of all time) his double bass grooves on the albums he did with Death are again outstanding, and if anyone can point to a better use of the sticks than on these Death albums i would love to here them, he is fantastic live, a machine that seems to not tire. I cant think of metal album whose technicaliy would be beyond Gene if he were to play for them........but how many drummers could come up with Genes parts let alone execute them.........so has far as metal drumming goes....he is the one.

My fav's...

Derek Roddy
Gene Hoglan
Flo Mournier
Tomas Haake
Pete Sandoval
Tony Laureano
Tim Yeung
Vinnie Paul
Dirk Verbeuren
Sean Reinert
Dave Lombardo
Richard Christy
George Kollias
Scott Travis
Daniel Erlandsson
Bobby Jarzombek
Jason Bittner
Dave Haley
Hellhammer
Frost
Nicko Mcbain
Igor Cavalera
Peter Wildoer
Paul Bostaph
John Tempesta

I'd definitely go with Mike Portnoy. He's just in a league of his own. His technique is awesome. His creativity is even more awesome. And he plays in odd time signatures like he's gonna win something for it (which he has). He doesn't have the fastest feet ever, but he's not exactly lacking in that region either, not to mention fast feet doesn't necessarily make you good.

I've also seen Chris Adler alot in here who on Lamb of God's cds plays like the Lamb of God. But I bought the Modern Drummer 2005 festival DVD (which he's on) and his technique, and execution live isn't quite what it is in the studio. Still his creativity is far above par. Not to mention he has the best outlook on playing his instument I've ever seen. He hasn't even been playing that long either. He started when he was in college. So he's on my list too.

The drummer from Rhapsody though (i don't know his name) has probably the fastest feet I've ever seen (outside of the fastest feet competition). So he's also on there.

The drummer from Blind Guardian also is on my list for feet. He's not just quick, but he has stamina like nothing. There's songs where he goes almost nonstop for the whole song, and their songs are averagely 6-8 minutes.

The Reverend (from A7X) is also big with me. He's probably my favorite next to Portnoy. The way he works his playing into the music is fantastic and I'm almost in love with his fills. He is definitely the drummer that has had the greatest impact on my playing. (next to Dave Weckl)

I've got some more id write about but I've gotta get going.

Back