A little thunderstorm - Tour zebrano video

Andy

Honorary Member
Decided to jump on the new Tour series zebrano bop kit today. It's fitted with clear G2's over G1's & tuned low in rock mode, because a customer asked to hear it that way, & just to show the powerhouse capabilities of this little set of cannons. Basic Zoom recording in the demo room, but hopefully you can pick up the attack & big near field tone this little beauty delivers in this guise. Put coated G1 over G1 in place, tune it up, & it transforms utterly, but is still short voiced with strong errant high overtone control.

Best through good headphones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQXNyfAGduI&feature=youtu.be

I can't get enough of it :)

The attack of those toms! Holy cow do they ever sound wicked! Loving the low end from them too, and I bet they project really well.
Bass sounds superb as well, and although I'm not a fan of the snare size, it too sounds sweet.

You've outdone yourself, as usual.

That's exactly how I'd like my toms to sound, short-voiced with controlled high overtones so that the sustain is low and rumbling. Nice drums.

The attack of those toms! Holy cow do they ever sound wicked! Loving the low end from them too, and I bet they project really well.
Bass sounds superb as well, and although I'm not a fan of the snare size, it too sounds sweet.

You've outdone yourself, as usual.

That's exactly how I'd like my toms to sound, short-voiced with controlled high overtones so that the sustain is low and rumbling. Nice drums.
Guys, I'm absolutely delighted that you're picking up on what these drums are all about. Tour series is a very different vibe for Guru, & absolutely focussed on what translates well on live stage with modern music forms. These, & their maple counterparts, are almost pre dialled in instruments, ready to get the job done. Their near field overtone control (without muffling) lives perfectly under mic's, & their big explosive tone projects far beyond the stage in acoustic settings.

Difficult to believe this is a 10" / 14" / 20" kit :)

Holy crap! They sound so distinctive! They have a unique voice. How the heck do you do this?
Love the clear head tone. That's the attack I go for. Your drums never fail to astound my friend.

I can see these being a BIG seller.

Holy crap! They sound so distinctive! They have a unique voice. How the heck do you do this?
Love the clear head tone. That's the attack I go for. Your drums never fail to astound my friend.

I can see these being a BIG seller.
Thanks Larry - I'm super pleased with these, as they deliver exactly as designed. As for big sellers, that's highly unlikely at $4k for a 3 piece kit.

OK, I have to say it in this thread as well: those drums sound really, really great Andy! Excellent balance of attack, tone, body and projection, as far as I can tell from the recording. Superb!

Oh yeah, did I already mention it might be time for a Zebrano kit in (near) future as well? ;-)

Killer Andy.I have to imagine that they have a pretty wide tuning range as well.I hope you sell them by the truck load.:)

Steve B

OK, I have to say it in this thread as well: those drums sound really, really great Andy! Excellent balance of attack, tone, body and projection, as far as I can tell from the recording. Superb!

Oh yeah, did I already mention it might be time for a Zebrano kit in (near) future as well? ;-)
Thanks Eric :) They're performing exactly to desired results - slightly better even. You need to come & try them.

Killer Andy.I have to imagine that they have a pretty wide tuning range as well.I hope you sell them by the truck load.:)

Steve B
Thanks Steve. Meaningful tuning range is very impressive. Not quite as wide as Origin, but they're utterly exceptional in that department. Truck load isn't going to happen. A few pieces / year is probably where these will sit. More than Origin & In-Tense, but not massively more. We just can't make that many - not making in the way we do.

Andy, in how many vids do you use clear heads on the toms? I want to say not many, but I don't really know. I like hearing the clear heads on the toms the best, because you get the full tone of the drum without any dampening at all, not even the mellowness of the coating on the heads. You can always mellow a drum out, but for a video showcasing toms? Give me the clear single ply heads so I can hear the attack quality along with the unaltered tone of the drum.

Andy, in how many vids do you use clear heads on the toms? I want to say not many, but I don't really know. I like hearing the clear heads on the toms the best, because you get the full tone of the drum without any dampening at all, not even the mellowness of the coating on the heads. You can always mellow a drum out, but for a video showcasing toms? Give me the clear single ply heads so I can hear the attack quality along with the unaltered tone of the drum.
These are two ply batter heads Larry (G2's), but I'd say across all our videos, we probably use clears more than coated - just. It depends on the vibe we want.

The extra definition / articulation you're hearing on the Tour series is deliberate, & part of the makeup that focusses on live stage performance, both mic'ed & unmic'd. It's in the drums as much as it's in the heads.

Now these, I feel justified in saying, sound like my Purpleheart kit! Such strong sound. Great stuff.
I think that's down to the fact they share thicker solid shells & similar bearing edges. Of course, zebrano has it's own distinct flavours, but it carries a similar top end to purpleheart.

...incredible power/projection/tone, imho...that said, your floor tom is exceptional and sounds a bit like a 14" broadkaster floor tom i heard recently...what bearing edges are you using?...

...incredible power/projection/tone, imho...that said, your floor tom is exceptional and sounds a bit like a 14" broadkaster floor tom i heard recently...what bearing edges are you using?...
Thank you :) Batter edge is a part round over, truncated at 70 degrees. 45 degree inner cut, R3 flattened peak radii. Reso edge has the same outer form, but with a 60 degree inner cut & R1 peak radii.

Thanks Eric :) They're performing exactly to desired results - slightly better even. You need to come & try them.

OK, jumping in my car right now :)

Seriously, let's see if 2015 has a trip to the UK in store.

Back