Need help convincing parents about bass pedals.

i have a crappy PDP double bass pedal, and i want an upgrade.

the problem is, Axis pedals are $600.

so i went to my parents to see if we could work something out.
and they don't get it.

anyone have any suggestions? what do you think would be a good point(s) to bring up when im making the pitch?

i event sent an email to them:

so, to make my case for the pedals:

A bass pedal is a piece of machinery, "hardware", and like all machinery, cheap machines work very poorly. Lots of friction, poor distribution of energy, as well as not being precise, being "sluggish". This is especially important when it comes to bass pedals.
Drums are about time, and unlike hands, where you have nearly 100% feedback from the drums because the only step in the process of hitting the drum is the stick itself, Bass pedals, are very different, they are pieces of machinery. When you step on the pedal, that motion has to go through 1) the clutch 2) the base plate hinge 3) the cam chain 4) the rotor 5) the cam roller and 6) the beater itself. This results in waste of energy. And because the force exerted has to go through all that, what your foot does and what the beater (the piece that actually hits the drum) do are very different, very sloppy. The beater is not responsive, and because of this, a higher level of finesse can not be achieved because you have no "feel". Now, higher-end pedals, especially Direct-Drive pedals, nearly eradicate this problem. They are Extremely well machined and designed. Direct Drive pedals are pedals that dont use a chain to put the cam in motion, there is a solid connection between the footplate and the Cam. This means that the pedal is even more precise. The Axis Pedals are Direct Drive. If you want me to take you out to the garage and show you what im talking about, I will

and they still don't get it!!!

i have a crappy PDP double bass pedal, and i want an upgrade.

the problem is, Axis pedals are $600.

so i went to my parents to see if we could work something out.
and they don't get it.

anyone have any suggestions?

Why don't you save $300 and see if they will match it? If my kids wanted a $600 pedal I might not "get it" either.

If you are still at home with your parents, you likely haven't been playing long. You haven't said what your parents' position is, but I am betting they are concerned about shelling out so much for something that you might not stick with.

Double bass pedals have very limited applications in all but a few genres; mostly, other musicians tend to find them disruptive when played. If I were you, I'd get a DW5000 single pedal used on eBay for $75 and invest the rest in lessons.

I would never pay 600 dollars for pedals for my hypothetical children. Because I know there are cheaper pedals that would be just as good for them. Its not the gear, its the player. Keep that in mind. I agree with DMC, invest in some lessons.

I've been playing over 35 years. I could buy any pedal that exist. I play a modest priced Iron Cobra! I have tried numerous pedals including the Axis. It didn't make me a better player! So I didn't buy it!
It would be a waste of money for me to buy such an expensive pedal. Getting a few more BPMs wont make you a better drummer. For $600 you could buy two or three excellent cymbals, or perhaps a great snare! That is something that makes you sound better and inspires you to play better.
Pedal playing is mostly technique! Any decent quality pedal will go fast if it is played correctly. You don't have to spend a lot to play fast.
I would like to add that I bought my Cobra used. I buy used whenever I can. Same with cymbals. I always look for used gear, and I wait for a good price.

Last edited:
You could try threatening suicide. See how that goes over. Logical appeals have failed so you should probably employ something emotional at this point.

You could try threatening suicide. See how that goes over. Logical appeals have failed so you should probably employ something emotional at this point.

alright maybe that was a little harsh.

id have to agree half with you, and half with everyone else. perhaps you dont need Axis pedals now.

If your pedals truely are unable to perform up to your standards then make a cheaper solution is in order. everyone here has at one time had their heart set on a piece of gear so i understand what you mean.

truth is that you will not need an axis pedal, not not at least. save your money and buy a good reliable iron cobra. or dw 5000, 8000, or pearl eliminators (the IC's and eliminators my top picks)

they are well built pedals that you can play for a more reasonable cost, the iron cobras in particular are built very strongly. see how they feel on a 300-350 dollar pedal.

I would never pay 600 dollars for pedals for my hypothetical children.

How are the hypothetical kids doing? How are their grades?

And I wouldn't spend $600 on pedals for myself! Get DW 5000 or Iron Cobra or something they'll do the job fine especially for someone young. I've been playing 5/6 years and my £120 ($200) pedals are doing me just fine still.

I think the parents "get it" perfectly, just as my parents "got it" when I was young (just a couple of years ago or so ... um).

What they get is that you're a little wretch who relies on them to shell out their hard-earned $$ and you have a noisy and expensive hobby playing music they don't like. Most musicians with non-musical parents envy those who came from musical homes - it's a HUGE advantage. I didn't have that and I suspect you don't either.

Depending on income and outgoings, it might take a couple of weeks to save $600. If Mum's at home or working part-time then that means Dad is working for two weeks just to save the cash to buy you a new pedal when you already have one that works.

All suggestions here are good IMO, especially the lessons and offering to matching their payment half and half ... except for Monica's which is a tad extreme. Back in my day we'd threaten to hold our breath until we turned blue. It never worked but you've got to be in it to win it :)

Last edited:
How about you don't go from 0 to 10 in one purchase? You're forgetting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. There are dozens of other pedals out there that's are of the same quality as axis (or about the same) that are less than half the price. My guess is you're a beginner, so you really really don't need axis pedals. That's wayy overboard. You don't get your learner's driving permit and then buy a ferrari, do you?

i just recently bought the pearl demon drive eliminater pedals, for over 600 bucks, they are great, but not that much better. difference is im on my own, making my own money, and i made the choice to spend that much, not to only repeat, but man i think you are gonna loose this arguement. that is alot of money, especially in these times. i played an iron cobra JUNIOR pedal for years and years and it was fine, then i play a more expensive but still affordable used dw 7000 pedal. you can plead all you want, but you are at the mercy of your parents, if it matters that much that you get a direct drive axis, maybe you should just save the money yourself. may have to get a job. and if you are too young to work at mcdonalds you definately dont need a pedal that expensive.

I think their are some cheaper direct drives availible... Gibralter Intruder $250-$300 new. Or You could get some used Ludwig Speed Kings for very cheap, but that might only work for 2 bass drums. I started with a Mapex single, learned double kick on some no name pedal that fell apart after about a year, then spent some time on Pearl Eliminators. All of those pedals worked fine for a long time.

I now use Axis Longboards, and they are great. Lightweight, quick response, and well made. I got them back in the day when they only cost around $360 for two single pedals. Axis pedals did not become so expensive until competitors (Trick, Pearl) released similar versions of the AL-2 with slight improvements. Like everyone has said it the player not gear. I can't play much faster on my Axis than I could on the Elims, the Axis just has a smoother feel. If you can find a way get them. If its not possible, truck on with cheap ones and save up.

parents don't understand drums period. They probably wish you played the flute instead. they aren't going to buy you axis pedals. if you really want them, you probably are going to have to save up yourself.

$600 is an extremely large investment for bass drum pedals, is this inline with the rest of your drums and cymbals?

How are the hypothetical kids doing? How are their grades?

And I wouldn't spend $600 on pedals for myself! Get DW 5000 or Iron Cobra or something they'll do the job fine especially for someone young. I've been playing 5/6 years and my £120 ($200) pedals are doing me just fine still.

Oh theyre doin great. Hypothetical Tom seems to be having a hard time with his studies, but nothing a few hypothetical lashings with the hypothetical belt cant hypothetically fix. Its all hypothetical though.

If you really want these toys that will eventually dissappoint because they won't instantly transform you into some kick drum god, go earn yourself the money to pay for them. If you can earn that sort of money, pay for lessons instead, you'll improve far more this way than with a change of pedal. If you can't get the money together, be inspired by the fact that your technique will improve through adversity.

Okay, im a "beginner" myself so i know where your coming from. Like everyone else has said, id go for a cheaper solution, dw 5k,9k pearl elims or tama ic's. although honestly, the pearl p122 really isnt bad as far as double pedals go, and its only like $150. Now, this is assuming that most of your drums and cymbals are up to par. If your playing on planet z's and cardboard drums than fix that first, otherwise, you'll just be making really terrible noise but at a high bpm.
good luck!

Yes, it is attitude adjustment time; get a job, save money, take out the garbage, wash dishes and be happy you can play drums at home.

GJS

parents don't understand drums period. They probably wish you played the flute instead

Ha, I wish I played the flute instead of drums too - every time I set up, set down, lug to the car and lug from the car. Imagine it ... you finish playing, pull apart the segments (a few seconds), run a rod and cloth through them (a couple of minutes max), put in little box (seconds) and carry that little box to the car. Get home and wash the cloth.

Trouble is, when people learn high notes on the flute it's almost as bad a noise as naive drumming although my parent's neighbours might have disagreed :)

Back