Nearly got Scammed - Beware! (UK)

richmcf

Hello!

Ive been on the market for a new Kit latley... so when a Pork Pie Squeeler kit (22x20 12x9 16x16 & 14x7) came up on gumtree for just short of £200 i thought wow!

Messaged them streight away, received a reply saying that i could come look at it which seemed preety good.... then got another e-mail saying they had been called into work so couldnt do that day (beliveable enough).

The next day i got an e-mail saying that they could post the kit (free of charge) using there work post account (getting dodgey) but i could pay the driver on delivery (ok so at least i cant get scammed, right?)

Arranged the details and she said she would ship it on wednesday, then got an e-mail from parcelforce (wasnt really parcel force it turns out) saying that i needed to go to a local shop and get a UKCASH voucher, scan and send to parcel force before they released the delivery... this is where i got very suspicios, did a bit of googleing and realised that no drum kit would turn up and i wouldnt see my money again if i paid, so obviously i didnt pay! reported to gumtree ect..... I am preety clued up on this kind of stuff but even I was nearly taken in! The e-mail address they used was [email protected].

I'd hate for anyone to get caught out by this, so please beware!! and if it seems to good to be true, it is!!

Rich

Thank you for posting this.

It's one of those classic stories. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Done a bit of Googling myself. Would seem that it's a group of scammers using email addresses with '75' in the middle. The phone number that is being used is: 07973425052

I would also notify the police about the scam,and relay all the info about the thief(seller).The Metropolitan police are a pretty decent law enforcement organization.

This humanoid need to be put out of business,so nobody else gets scammed.If it looks too good,it probably is.Caviat emptor.

Steve B

If possible always use credit cards, they have a legal responsibilty to refund money for faulty good or no show goods. You can 'charge back' via the credit card items over £100

They will fight it but it's in the credit rukes (in the uk)

It is up to you to prove they didnt show up or where faulty, but good news is they will do this for a number of years after purchase.

You also have the sale of goods act to fall back on, but it takes time to deal with.

Paypal will also help but I have heard horror stories that they are not great at refunding.

Never pay with a debit card unless you are happy it's safe, sale of goods act will cover you in a store, but online is much harder..
charging back is easy via a credit card, one call to the credit card company and maybe a letter and they will take it over for you and refund your money.

Back