Pitting on snare drums

TraxxFactor

I was looking to buy a Supraphonic snare on ebay but some have pitting spots on them. I'm not really sure what it is, so I was wondering: Does it mess up the sound or does it just make it look bad?

I was looking to buy a Supraphonic snare on ebay but some have pitting spots on them. I'm not really sure what it is, so I was wondering: Does it mess up the sound or does it just make it look bad?

It does not affect the sound. It’s hard to find one today that does not have pitting. When you do you will pay through the nose…

The piting will no tchange the sound. I had mine re-chromed years ago, although this does demish the value as a collectors piece.

I have also seen people powder coat them.

If you can live with the ptting then you can go that way.

Here is mine

ludwig_snares.jpg

The piting will no tchange the sound. I had mine re-chromed years ago, although this does demish the value as a collectors piece.

I have also seen people powder coat them.

If you can live with the ptting then you can go that way.

Here is mine

ludwig_snares.jpg

Wow, that is one nice collection. That middle snare is monstrous!

I bought a 6-1/2x14" 70's Supraphonic off Ebay a few years back and it had some pitting on it. Didn't affect the sound at all. If the pitting isn't too bad, and you can deal with the look, I'd definately grab a Supraphonic.

Hey rmandelbaum, how did you go about "rechroming" your snare drum? I'd definately consider getting mine done. Any help, let me know. Also, that middle snare in your pic is sick! Looks like my old marching snare from high school! All of those nice Ludwig snares....*drooling*.

Back