Losing inspiration

For some reason I'm starting to play my kit less and less as the months pass... I'm not really loosing interest, its just I'm not as 'drum crazy' as i have been for the past 4 years or so.
Don't get me wrong, i love playing my drum kit and still enjoying watching all the inspirational drumming videos on youtube and drummerworld.
Any ideas to get my drum passion back to what it has been? As I know I'm not willing to 'hang-up' the sticks and move on.
I'm thinking of treating myself to a nice new kit - as i think once i see something new and interesting it'll be the kick up the arse i need to start drumming at every free moment i have again!
What do you guys think?

Cheers

Whatever it takes to get you inspired, do it. Just don't hurt anyone ha ha. A new kit? That would do it for me.

Maybe role-playing, or toys.

...you know, like pretend you're Bonham or get some brushes.

What were *you* thinking?

No, um, seriously - uh... Have you tried bringing another drummer in to play your kit and you just watch? No...uh....ummmm....

Maybe get your drums some sexy new covers or new heads...Burn some incense while you're playing...Maybe cover your drums in chocolate sauce or whip cream...uh...Read some drumming mags/books...watch a drumming video while you're playing your own kit...

Uh...hmmm...no?...uh....Don't feel like you need to play your drums for 2-3 hours straight - nothing wrong with a few 15-20 minute sessions unexpectedly in the middle of the day...

Take your drums out on the road...play in new places - don't fall into the same hum-drum routine...Maybe light some candles and play along to some Barry White...

Invite people to watch you play your drums - maybe having an audience watching will spice up your practice session (and if people are really into watching you play you can charge $ for it!)...ummmmmm

Invite another kit into the session (as long as everyone's comfortable with it) - the more the merrier!... uhhhhhhh.....hmmm

Have you tried playing while blindfolded? ...Have your drums hide somewhere in the house and you have to find them...uhhh....How do your drums look in a French maid outfit?

uh...no...uh....Try thinking about a time when you were *really* excited while playing your drums and go with that - remember how you felt, champ...

uh....hhhmmmm....Maybe it's time to ditch the old kit and find something newer, more exotic....or the other route: get a kit you can just bang on and go nuts with and enjoy yourself...eehhhhhhhhh....hmm...

Have you tried tantric drumming? I think I read Sting is into tantric drummers...no?...hmm...

Take your drums out for a nice romantic dinner...what?....can you cook? Drums love a man who can cook. Easy recipe/ingredients to impress your drums: salmon, asparagus, bismati rice, a little oil, some balsamic - I'd grill them...your drums will be so impressed! (don't overcook the salmon).....uuhhhhhhh....

Look...just tell your drums you loved them once but maybe you're just over them...you're learning what you really want in life, and from them, and maybe you should start playing the guitar. Maybe you're just a different person now than when you started playing the drums..It's all about honesty and what you want. Be true to yourself. You'll figure it out.

But maybe try the French maid outfit before you [might] ditch the drums...

...if you substitute the word "grilfriend" for the word "drums", you could ask the same question of Dear Abby.

Like any passion, your drumming willfind its level. What else is going on in your life these past few months. Myself, I am in the same boat as you. In my little frozen corner of happiness, spring looks like it has finally arrived, and with it, the desire to be outside walking, enjoying the weather, getting ready for my daughters graduation, preparing for her move to University, work, etc has pushed drumming off the front page for now.

Regarding the enthusiasm that a new kit brings, it will only last so long before you find yourself back in the same rut. Trust me on this one. I am looking at taking lessons, as a way of breaking out of my rut. If you do not take lessons already, maybe now would be a good time to give them some thought.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and good drumming.

Barry

I have been playing a 32 years, there have been periods like now that I play every day. I went through a golf period where I played drums very little. My point is, in my experience there are times when you will feel inspired to play all the time and times when you will back off a little.

Really don`t worry. This just happens from time to time...

I think that musicians like all artists always watch out for the new liana they can catch to move on in the jungle of inspiration and muse. It`s a natural issue to hang there for a longer time...to catch your next liana of inspiration you gotta ginger up this thing.
In my opinion it`s not indifferent how you get the vital momentum. Try to get inspired by emotional things...of course a new set would feel like a kick for you but if you want to get a new kit, don`t just do it to compensate your off-time. At least that`s my opinion... ;-)

Firstly, if you aren`t in a band yet, get into one which fulfills your musical expectations/wishes. Get out of your room, take the set with you and play with people, it`s probably the biggest inspiration besides listening. When starting to compose, when starting to gig you`ll have fun and this will cause a very natural kind of dash.

Finally I`d say that you shouldn`t force it really. Do your thing, if you really don`t want to for now, take the break.

Karl

No, um, seriously - uh... Have you tried bringing another drummer in to play your kit and you just watch? No...uh....ummmm....

Maybe get your drums some sexy new covers or new heads...Burn some incense while you're playing...Maybe cover your drums in chocolate sauce or whip cream...uh...Read some drumming mags/books...watch a drumming video while you're playing your own kit...

Uh...hmmm...no?...uh....Don't feel like you need to play your drums for 2-3 hours straight - nothing wrong with a few 15-20 minute sessions unexpectedly in the middle of the day...

Take your drums out on the road...play in new places - don't fall into the same hum-drum routine...Maybe light some candles and play along to some Barry White...

Invite people to watch you play your drums - maybe having an audience watching will spice up your practice session (and if people are really into watching you play you can charge $ for it!)...ummmmmm

Invite another kit into the session (as long as everyone's comfortable with it) - the more the merrier!... uhhhhhhh.....hmmm

Have you tried playing while blindfolded? ...Have your drums hide somewhere in the house and you have to find them...uhhh....How do your drums look in a French maid outfit?

uh...no...uh....Try thinking about a time when you were *really* excited while playing your drums and go with that - remember how you felt, champ...

uh....hhhmmmm....Maybe it's time to ditch the old kit and find something newer, more exotic....or the other route: get a kit you can just bang on and go nuts with and enjoy yourself...eehhhhhhhhh....hmm...

Have you tried tantric drumming? I think I read Sting is into tantric drummers...no?...hmm...

Take your drums out for a nice romantic dinner...what?....can you cook? Drums love a man who can cook. Easy recipe/ingredients to impress your drums: salmon, asparagus, bismati rice, a little oil, some balsamic - I'd grill them...your drums will be so impressed! (don't overcook the salmon).....uuhhhhhhh....

Look...just tell your drums you loved them once but maybe you're just over them...you're learning what you really want in life, and from them, and maybe you should start playing the guitar. Maybe you're just a different person now than when you started playing the drums..It's all about honesty and what you want. Be true to yourself. You'll figure it out.

best post...... ever!!!!

Most of us go through that stage sometime in our life! Sont be down about it- My advice is take a little time out............find your space for drums, listen to your I pod and try and work out what other drummers are doing for the songs they play on...Maybe you need inspiration!

I hope you find the drive again- mate.

Really don`t worry. This just happens from time to time...

I think that musicians like all artists always watch out for the new liana they can catch to move on in the jungle of inspiration and muse. It`s a natural issue to hang there for a longer time...to catch your next liana of inspiration you gotta ginger up this thing.
In my opinion it`s not indifferent how you get the vital momentum. Try to get inspired by emotional things...of course a new set would feel like a kick for you but if you want to get a new kit, don`t just do it to compensate your off-time. At least that`s my opinion... ;-)

Firstly, if you aren`t in a band yet, get into one which fulfills your musical expectations/wishes. Get out of your room, take the set with you and play with people, it`s probably the biggest inspiration besides listening. When starting to compose, when starting to gig you`ll have fun and this will cause a very natural kind of dash.

Finally I`d say that you shouldn`t force it really. Do your thing, if you really don`t want to for now, take the break.

Karl

My band packed in a few months back, so i think you are completely right, its ever since then i've lost inspiration!
I think I'm gunna find a new band to play with, i sure do miss the buzz of playing with other people who share the same musical passion as i do.

Thanks!

Do you jam? it like the difference between talking to yourself and having a conversation with friends basically you generally enjoy the latter more, unless you werid like that lol

Colonel, you ARE a genius. Great advice. Really, the chocolate adds that extra something when practicing.
But honestly, I think we've all been there. I can tell you from experience that going out of the comfort zone brings a lot of eagerness to playing. Changing the setup a little bit, adding new songs to practice sessions; watching videos prior to playing and all that helps. Of course, getting a new snare, or new cymbal can create that drive needed to go and bang the set. Just... look for new things. Surprise yourself. And if doesn't work... well, the Colonel definitely has great ideas. Use some of 'em.

best post...... ever!!!!

Yeah that was pretty creative there...I really "lol"'d. But he did actually have good ideas. I might try some. Creative, and they just might work. I might leave some of that other stuff out though.

But mattieb298 I do know where your coming from. I've been in the same stage, and now I'm coming back into being inspired again and wanting to play more. I would want to just get together with a few of my musician friends and just relax and play for fun. As long as you still have a passion for drumming in some way like still researching drummers/drums, watching drummers, different techniques of drumming then you are still in good shape I think.

LOL, nice way u ve put it, u have a funny mind dude, muhahahaha.....

This is happening to me now, but I think it is because of touring I get tired. Yesterday I struggled, but ended up putting Jojo Mayers video secret weapons on, and found inspiration in the pad. Maybe get into some rudiments, and take the pad for a walk.

Back