The ''Right'' Way To Set Up Your Kit

Re: What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

Serious question, why do you people care so much about others drum sets?

G

Well, lemme see ... there's at least one sub-forum devoted to people showing pictures of their sets, with many many threads showing other aspects of members' drum sets. People put up pictures of their sets on their Web sites and drum sites are full of such pictures.

I really can't answer your question as to why people care about others' sets. All I know is that, for whatever reasons, people have made it pretty clear they care about others' sets. This is just the flip side of it. Maybe you are different and don't care much about that sort of thing, but the thread where people share and talk about each others' kits is one of the most popular.

What annoys me are drummers that critize other drummers because they perfer to play a certain way that may not be "proper" look at how billy ward sets his kit up and how well he can play it. To each his own and no one should critize that.

Well actually when it comes to Billy, I personally feel that he sets his set up pretty ergonomically and some aspects of it are important things to consider in any setup, even if you don't go as extreme as him.

Now, I recently watched a video here of Jack DeJohnette http://drummerworld.com/Videos/jackdejohnettemusicalsolo1.html and how he positions his first tom, I don't criticize it, I just wonder how he can find it comfortable.

I believe it's true that there is no "way" to set up your drumset, and that everyone will and should find the way that they want to set up their own drumset because that's how it's comfortable for them to play, but a drumset should be set up so that's it comfortable to play, not so that it looks cool.

So it is possible that Travis Barker is setting up his drumset in that way because it's comfortable and it fulfills his musical needs, but I think part of it might be for aesthetic purposes. But anyways, that's his desicion, I'm not going to tell him where to put his rack tom or cymbals.

That's not to say that aesthetics aren't important, though-- I'll get the finish I want or whatever, but playability is first priority. I think I read somewhere that ultimately a kit that is set up comfortably will also look good... however that works out.

i think education is one reason for having a stand on how kits are set up. some people are trying to help each other and more specifically newbies who set up kits in ways that limit their development.

that said i do also believe that there is an element of ego off-loading and ridicule from other folks.

'only human' i guess:

2agents-m12.jpg

Last edited:

Well actually when it comes to Billy, I personally feel that he sets his set up pretty ergonomically and some aspects of it are important things to consider in any setup, even if you don't go as extreme as him.

Now, I recently watched a video here of Jack DeJohnette http://drummerworld.com/Videos/jackdejohnettemusicalsolo1.html and how he positions his first tom, I don't criticize it, I just wonder how he can find it comfortable.

sure, im not talking about not questioning someones setup, im talking about critizing it. Eventually people come to realize what set up is best suited for them but its the ciritizsm saying god i hate it when someone does this they must suck etc. Its ridiculous.

I really cant understand why you get pissed when somebody has a different tom angel than it is supposed !!! its each persons preference , if someone like a big angle he will set it like that, if he like toms flat he will have them flat. its their drums and they make them as they want no matter if they look crap and/or "noobish" .

For me it's like Nutha Said with those B*****rd tom angles and setups. I also hate people who have their kit set up like travis barker. I can understand the equiptment but placing your ride that high is obsene. xx
Completely argee!!!

1) Rack toms a mile apart from each other. Usually this is just a beginner drummer thing and I did it myself, but it's still something that drives me nuts. Having the toms far apart from each other and then angling one to the right and one to the left isn't going to help you play any better.
QUOTE]
Looking back when i started i did it!!! But no it just annoys me!!!

For me its mismatched heads (ex: a coated on one tom and clears on the others)
Ye i hate that too!!!!

I also hate people who constantley crash their ride cymbal like travis etc

i think education is one reason for having a stand on how kits are set up. some people are trying to help each other and more specifically newbies who set up kits in ways that limit their development.

that said i do also believe that there is an element of ego off-loading and ridicule from other folks.

'only human' i guess:

2agents-m12.jpg

I like what you have done with your hair.

Insanely massive kits;

Tom angles that make no ergonomic sense;

i don't get annoyed with anyone's setup...because it's their setup.

This is an interesting thread. I think it is more about what we each dislike about a certain setup rather than hating the person for setting it up that way.

Me personally, I dont really like cymbal stands. I have been using racks for over 15 years and would never go back to all stands unless I absolutely had to. I have mine setup so that everything on the kit, including the snare drum, can be picked up and moved together. My entire kit can be moved, except the kick, pedals and hi-hat. Everything else is attached. It is very ergonomic "for me" although I have let a number of drummer friends play it at gigs and they just love it and many of them have changed there setup to more closely match mine somewhat. Now that is not to say that mine is "correct" as there is no correct, but it is correct for me. But there is DEFINATELY a "You really shouldn't set it up that way dude!" way. Not trying to plug my myspace page, but you can see some pics of my earlier setup with my huge kit and rack to my more recent scaled down version I have been playing for a number of years. I am also going to add part for a drink holder, practice pad and sequnecer that swings out of the way to.

Anyway, great website here.

http://www.myspace.com/thegare

The question sets up the answerer for controversy but is a valid one none the less. We all have a different frame of reference, experience and preferences. The nature of our chosen interest is endless with choices so I think it’s cool to know what others think about some of them.

I take using the word “hate” here to be an expression without getting all tie-dye and granola about it. But like Nutha alluded, it’s human nature to get a bit egotistical about something we care about because we come from our own reference point. Hard to step out of that. It’s fun to vent sometimes, though.

My tom angles were atrocious when I was a noob. I like huge kits and tiny ones. I use a rack, stands, or both, etc, etc…

That said, one thing that rubs me the wrong way is a big empty tom holder on a bass drum. Ok, the toms are mounted on a rack or stand or whatever, but that open gaping volcano on the bass just looks so incomplete… to me. Put a rod with a cap in it, fer chrissake!!

This skirts the bounds of the original question a bit, but I can’t stand going to see a show and the drums sound like blocks of wood or cardboard boxes. Fire the soundman! And why are those awful sounding drums INVARIABLY… Pearls?!

Oh crap, now I did it.

Last edited:

The question sets up the answerer for controversy but is a valid one none the less. We all have a different frame of reference, experience and preferences. The nature of our chosen interest is endless with choices so I think it’s cool to know what others think about some of them.

I take using the word “hate” here to be an expression without getting all tie-dye and granola about it. But like Nutha alluded, it’s human nature to get a bit egotistical about something we care about because we come from our own reference point. Hard to step out of that. It’s fun to vent sometimes, though.

My tom angles were atrocious when I was a noob. I like huge kits and tiny ones. I use a rack, stands, or both, etc, etc…

That said, one thing that rubs me the wrong way is a big empty tom holder on a bass drum. Ok, the toms are mounted on a rack or stand or whatever, but that open gaping volcano on the bass just looks so incomplete… to me. Put a rod with a cap in it, fer chrissake!!

This skirts the bounds of the original question a bit, but I can’t stand going to see a show and the drums sound like blocks of wood or cardboard boxes. Fire the soundman! And why are those awful sounding drums INVARIABLY… Pearls?!

Oh crap, now I did it.

Good points and good catch about the empty tom mount! Yes, that is annoying.

I don't understand how others can be surprised at a thread like this and ask "How dare you care about what others play?!?!" The most popular threads on this board are people showing off their sets - obviously, drummers really do care about what other drummers play and this thread is just the yin of the yang.

i get annoyed by their tunning, im always like here let me tune these up for you haha
no ones lets me *cries*

Hmm I will agree with that!

Plus I dislike them types of tom holders like the ones you get on stagg/CB drum kits (no offence to anyone here, just my opinion!)

I am not gonig to criticize any set just simply because the layout is different then mine, everyone has their own preferences, and I often change my layout to ways that people would wonder why the heck I set it up that way. What I do rather verbally denounce is people that handle their drums carelessly in setting them up, and/or set them up in a way that fosters poor technique and style, or damages the drums or any of its components.
If it is a younger drummer doing that, its not a issue to me since they probably did not have any better ideas, but when I see a veteran playing and his shells are all scratched and worn as a result of his toms rubbing against the bass drum, or other things like that, then I get peeved because it shows a disrespect for the equipment and the art of drumming.

So it seems like everyone here has ideas on what they consider to be a "good" setup; after all, in order to know what is bad, you have to know what's good, too.

So why not make a thread for people to post advice and ideas for how to set up a drumset? It would probably be a good newbie resource, and might help some of those people to not make the mistake of putting their toms at extreme angles, or putting their cymbals above their head, or whatever.

Just a thought, though.

Back