I'm John from NC

sparks127

Hello, all
Looks like I skipped the introduction part. I've posted a few times in the Ludwig 2014 thread.
I'm 42, played drums in a rock alternative style band for about 6 years in the 90's. We just played local clubs and parties. I had a decent set,Tama Rockstar DX, with good quality Zildjians. We made three demo's in professional studios over the years (the Tama's sounded great) but we got nowhere :)
We split up around '98 and I got into IT as a career, sold the drums and forgot most things music until recently.

Now $ is hard to come by with a wife, kids, mortgage etc...I got a very cheap beginner's kit for my birthday a couple years ago. We got the band back together just to play a few old songs and have fun. Then once again the writing flowed as it always had with us and we had several great new songs before we knew it.

I've accumulated a Zildjian 20 custom A ping ride, custom A 18 projection crash, custom A 16 crash, and a set of A new beat high hats but still have the crappy drums.
We've decided to home record our new stuff just for ourselves to have for years to come. Don't expect gigs or a crazy record deal like I hoped 20 yrs ago. We got a great set of Shure drum mics and a Tascam US-1800. It has been a lot of fun learning how to use all this new stuff. We had a Tascam 4 track portastudio back in the day! haha.
But the drums sound like pooh in the mix. The cymbals sound great! I've worked with some great EQ plugins but still, I'm looking for a new set now and will head out later today to play the new Ludwig Signets at a local GC. Thanks for listening.
Nice to meet you all.
John

Welcome John from NC! I'm Bo from CA ;)

Isn't it nice to get to play again? I try to never take this gift for granted and remind myself that I live to play, not the other way around. Welcome!

Welcome John from NC! I'm Bo from CA ;)

Isn't it nice to get to play again? I try to never take this gift for granted and remind myself that I live to play, not the other way around. Welcome!

Thanks. Yes it is nice to play again. I find that being older and hopefully wiser this time I'm going about it in a different way. I need now to get to the next level of playing. All the years in the 90's I was kind of stuck around the same level.

Welcome to DW John. There is a ton of information here, a lot to learn from and some great people

Back