Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Hauk,
I don't know because I've never tried cutting down 'sub par' cymbals as you call them.
Experimentation is the key!!

On the Musikmesse videos the cymbal that you're referring to is a Zildjian 12 China Trash Oriental

Cheers
Gavin

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I have some time and tell you how it comes out.

Hi Gavin, I'm a lurker on this board but I just wanted to drop by and say thanks for your amazing work with Porcupine Tree and otherwise. While I've been a musician my entire life, including a bit of drumming in the high school marching band, I never paid enough attention to Porcupine Tree's drumming until hearing your live recording with them on Coma Divine. Hearing the classic PT songs with your unique twists, especially your version of Dislocated Day, just blew me away. Equally great was seeing your drumming in DVD clarity on the Arriving Somewhere DVD. It definitely gave me a stronger appreciation for drumming in music and I'll have to check out your other DVDs.

By the way, I have to apologize about something. You play a ton of gigs so you might not remember, but I was at your New York show last October. You, Colin Edwin, and Richard Barbieri walked by and I said something stupid along the lines of "Hey, I recognize you guys...." and you (deservingly) said "no you don't". Anyway, I was surprising my girlfriend with the concert and wanted to thank you then for the music but didn't want to give away the surprise. Just a funny story I figured I'd bring up :)

See you at the Cleveland show this Friday and June 1st Chicago show! Can't wait to hear Fear of a Blank Planet live (again).

Hey Gavin,

Did you ever had any cowbells, or blocks in your setup, I see all these splashes and china's etc. but no cowbells.

Is there a reason for it, don't you like them or is it just that they don't fit PT music??

See ya in The Melkweg in Holland on the 28th of June.

Drizzle

Gavin,

I wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic performance at the Park West in Chicago last night! Your drums sounded amazing! Oh yeah, your back-up band sounded good too! Just kidding! Everything just sounded amazing - the production, sound, and performance from PT were top notch! Awesome. I was a very pleased fan.

Couple of questions: Do you play the songs differently every night without too much deviation from the original recording? I noticed you added some different spices into your playing. Second, I remember seeing on this board that you have a new kit from Sonor back home, how do you compare that kit to the one you're playing right now in terms of sonic response?

Thanks - best wishes to you and the guys at future shows.
Jeff

p.s.: great recovery during Even Less!

Hi Jeff,
I try to change a few little things every night - just to stop myself going crazy. I think out of the two kits - I enjoy the SQ2 a little more.

Even Less : I dropped a stick - went to grab a new one but then I saw the first one bouncing around from drum to drum so I tried to grab it - but it ended upside down. Broke a few last night too.

Cheers
Gavin

Couple of questions: Do you play the songs differently every night without too much deviation from the original recording? I noticed you added some different spices into your playing. Second, I remember seeing on this board that you have a new kit from Sonor back home, how do you compare that kit to the one you're playing right now in terms of sonic response?

Thanks - best wishes to you and the guys at future shows.
Jeff

p.s.: great recovery during Even Less!

Gavin - I just received my July 2007 issue of Modern Drummer magazine and was pleased to see that you have won the 2007 Prog Rock drummer of the year, elected by the readers of Modern Drummer! Congratulations! It is well deserved and you certainly had my vote!

I also just ordered your latest DVD and can't wait to begin work on it!

Now about those Florida tour dates - please come back in the fall! :)

Hi Gavin,

I was listening to Anesthize and I realised that your drumsound for the first part sounds very much like Phil Collins to me (take that as a compliment). The way you use the toms (and co-incidently don't use cymbals on that part?) sounds a lot like how collins approached his kit for the stuff he did with Peter Gabriel. Especially the part where the room sound kicks in.
I don't know if you remember a posting I did at the end of 2006 where I asked you if you where familiar with Collins and his work in Genesis (which you replied a "no" strictly taken) but did this just came around or where you influenced by him after maybe some listening to his stuff?

Also, Congratulations with the 2007 prog drummer title ! You really deserve it. I think you are one of the best drummers out there. You know your stuff very well and you are one of the most creative drummers I heared. One of the few that actually let the drums breath and give it some air...

Conrats for the Porg drumming award, and a great show tonight in CLE. 'Twas an overall good show by PT and your opener, Three. What'd you think of Cleveland's crowd?

Congratulations!

I cant wait. I'm seeing you and the rest of Porcupine Tree tommorow...well today...its really late right now.

Can't wait for the show.

Dear Gavin,

A short and simple one :) -

Do anyone at the band or management mentioned that petition to you? and what do you think about that?

Cheers.

Hey Gavin!

Same question here. There's a lot of PT fans here in Israel and we are trying to get in touch with you guys because we want you here!! So what do you think about that? and why the band isn't concluding Israel in tours for the last 7 years?

Thanks

Hi Santibanks,
yes it does come across a bit Peter Gabriel 3 - all drums no cymbals. I think I was a little more influenced by Jerry Marotta than Phil Collins regarding those tom based patterns.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
I was listening to Anesthize and I realised that your drumsound for the first part sounds very much like Phil Collins to me (take that as a compliment). The way you use the toms (and co-incidently don't use cymbals on that part?) sounds a lot like how collins approached his kit for the stuff he did with Peter Gabriel. Especially the part where the room sound kicks in.
I don't know if you remember a posting I did at the end of 2006 where I asked you if you where familiar with Collins and his work in Genesis (which you replied a "no" strictly taken) but did this just came around or where you influenced by him after maybe some listening to his stuff?

Hi Renan,
that's a question you need to ask our management.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

Same question here. There's a lot of PT fans here in Israel and we are trying to get in touch with you guys because we want you here!! So what do you think about that? and why the band isn't concluding Israel in tours for the last 7 years?

Thanks

Back