Your Favourite Band That is Not Well Known

If you like funk, do yourself a favor and check out The Blue Method. They have been becoming more widely recognized, as their live performances are killer and they play a lot of them... but I still don't hear them brought up often, so I think they qualify. (I've been hooked since 2005, so I'm definitely not new to the bandwagon.)

Here's their MySpace.

I have really been into Electric 6 lately. They are kind of "Known" but they are not a huge band by any means.

Some of their songs make me laugh, but I don't listen to them and think, "this is good music!" I listen to them and think, "that's somewhat entertaining." Of course, entertainment is one of the fundamental purposes for music's existence, so I can't say that my reaction to them is entirely rational.

Abingdon Boys School aka ABS - they are huge in Japan, but not very well known elsewhere (although it's slowly changing):

abingdonboysschoolabsaphoto200901.jpg

Do not be fooled by the "boys band" look. They play some awesome alternative rock (although their music is quite eclectic, incorporating and going from electro to metal) and the two guitar players pack some serious licks.

My favorite song of theirs still gives me shivers at the solo section (this song was also used as the opening for the anime "Darker Than Black"):
- HOWLING -inch up-

A part from the singer known as T.M. Revolution, who is a well known pop singer in Japan, the other musicians of the band have session musician backgrounds. I've seen them live and you come out of their concerts not knowing what hit you.

EDIT: HOWLING -inch up- live. Just so you get the idea : )

Last edited:
I'm quite into heavy rock and metal so people who also like might want to check these out;

Hexes - awesome post-hardcore punk band from Essex/London. Know their drummer Tom quite well and hes an awesome player.

End The Century - quite a hardcore band from the states, their drummer Chase is quite an inspiration for my own playing.

InMe - a fairly well known band in the UK but across the water you probably havent heard of them. They are also local boys and I've seen them a couple of times - great live performance!

I don't really have an absolute favourite band so thats why I've listed 3!

I'll 2nd (err.. 3rd?) Katatonia. Great Band. Along the same lines (but with death vocals and clean ala opeth) there's Daylight Dies.

I'm not sure exactly what "not well known" means... in circles like these, alot (err.. a lot) of these bands probably are well known... I'll just list bands where _most_ people say "who?" when i mention them.

Kyuss (although they may be more well known now because of QOTSA, but they weren't back when they were around)

Sam Black Church (metalish oldschool hardcore w/ bad brains-ish sounding vocals)

Judge (metalish oldschool hardcore)

Pygmy Love Circus (another of Danny Carey's bands, biker metal)

Cynic (tech death metal)

I'm going to interpret "not well known" as "should've been more famous & successful than they got" rather than "practically unknown in the mainstream" or "regional following but otherwise unknown".

Fishbone - fishbone.net

The Afghan Whigs / Twilight Singers / Greg Dulli - afghanwhigs.com [basically links to a bare-bones forum page centered around Dulli's more current Twilight Singers group.]

Ok, here's one with a huge regional following, but have done some national tours and gotten national press- Maktub - maktub.com

For me it has to be the UK band Vessels.
absolutely jaw dropping playing by all of the band, naturally their drummer Tim Mitchell is gifted beyond belief. the scale of their sound is amazing, and some of the most technically acomplished playing i have ever had the pleasure to see.

http://www.myspace.com/vesselsband

and i have to mention Reuben again, much missed and overlooked band of the last few years in the UK.

Boys Night Out. I've been listening to them a lot lately and they don't seem to be very popular, but they have a lot of good songs. Currently their taking a break from touring but when they come back i hope they come to st. louis so i can see them.

im really digging on this industrial / orchestrated metal band called "mors pricipum est"
not the best drumming in metal by any stretch of the imaginaton, but their music has this great feeling of sorrow and desolation about it that i love.

Abingdon Boys School aka ABS - they are huge in Japan, but not very well known elsewhere (although it's slowly changing):

abingdonboysschoolabsaphoto200901.jpg

Do not be fooled by the "boys band" look. They play some awesome alternative rock (although their music is quite eclectic, incorporating and going from electro to metal) and the two guitar players pack some serious licks.

My favorite song of theirs still gives me shivers at the solo section (this song was also used as the opening for the anime "Darker Than Black"):
- HOWLING -inch up-

A part from the singer known as T.M. Revolution, who is a well known pop singer in Japan, the other musicians of the band have session musician backgrounds. I've seen them live and you come out of their concerts not knowing what hit you.

EDIT: HOWLING -inch up- live. Just so you get the idea : )

Thats actually pretty awesome! reminds me of Breaking Benjamin! =]

im really digging on this industrial / orchestrated metal band called "mors pricipum est"
not the best drumming in metal by any stretch of the imaginaton, but their music has this great feeling of sorrow and desolation about it that i love.

Awesome Band

Under the french imprint Listenable Records.

If you crave monster metal drumming, they hosted a band called SCARVE....

Downright killer

The London Souls - 3 piece band from NY, I hear kind of a Wolfmother/Hendrix/Lenny Kravitz vibe.

The Heavy - They're a British ensemble. They do that song for that Kia SUV commercial with the stuffed animals out on the town. I dug that tune and looked into more of their stuff and it's very solid! A very dirty gritty soul sound.

So Many Dynamos - 4-piece band from St. Louis I believe. Kind of a Prog/Math Rock/Indie-Pop sound from them. I had never heard of them, and a group of friends and I were driving to Visalia, CA to see them. On the way up there we were listening to them and I was not too impressed; they're album wasn't mixed well at all. Got there and saw both of their shows that night and my mind was changed. The best live bar show I've ever seen!!!.

The Band - They're older, but If you don't know, I feel very sorry for you... seriously.

Back