Yamaha Drums

Somehow I missed this from Yamaha:

"....Even with the enhancements and upgrades, the price tag for the new Absolute Hybrid Maple is almost 30 percent less than its predecessor...."

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/drums/yamaha_rolls_out_new_absolute_hybrid_drum_kits/

Not sure how much the predecessor was, but 30% less seems a decent amount.

I think its great/funny how we keep digging up all of these little tidbits of info. Good job.

Well, I have to think that the previous MCA lines were selling for something like $2500-$3500 list for 3 toms and a kick. I can't recall the exact prices.

"....Even with the enhancements and upgrades, the price tag for the new Absolute Hybrid Maple is almost 30 percent less than its predecessor...."

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/drums/yamaha_rolls_out_new_absolute_hybrid_drum_kits/

The difference between Japanese and Chinese labour costs. The unanswered question is whether they're of 30% less quality. Time will tell.

Labour costs and also not being tied into the Japanese Yen made a big difference too. At least that's how they explained it.

30% saving is huge in this market.
I wonder if that's enough to sway the "Made in China" non believers...probably not.

Neal

I'm not sure either but they were at the high end and for 30% less I think I could live with Made in China on the badge...

Ahh, that's better...not much on the toms there but they sound better than the other Absolute video for sure.

Neal

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Sounds better than the red kit, would have liked a bit more playing and less talking (although he doesn't seem like a great drummer).

Lacquered...........

Ha! I was just going to delete this, as I just heard it on the musician's friend video. Thanks though!

While I'm here...new hex rack!
97kvut.jpg

So +/- 3500 - +/- 35% = +/- 2275,- suggested retail price...

Interesting indeed...

Not so, according to Rupps Drums in the USA. They are currently listing the "cheapest" new Absolute Hybrid Maple kits, in 4 pc configurations, starting at +$2999. The other configurations are well over $3K. That is hardly a decrease in price, Yamaha--that's worse and just as bad as the overpriced Pearl Reference Pure kits. I can understand Sonor pulling high prices for the Pro-lites, but Pearl and Yamaha high quality kits made in China and Taiwan should not exceed $2600 street price. Ridiculous.

Not so, according to Rupps Drums in the USA. They are currently listing the "cheapest" new Absolute Hybrid Maple kits, in 4 pc configurations, starting at +$2999. The other configurations are well over $3K. That is hardly a decrease in price, Yamaha--that's worse and just as bad as the overpriced Pearl Reference Pure kits. I can understand Sonor pulling high prices for the Pro-lites, but Pearl and Yamaha high quality kits made in China and Taiwan should not exceed $2600 street price. Ridiculous.

You can be sure that some people will buy them.

Hmmm...yeah those prices seem high and I can't imagine they are 30% less than previous pricing.

I spoke to my trusted dealer from the last 20 years and was able to get a quote for a little less than 3k for a 4 piece. This is absolutely ridiculous for a kit made in China, i bet their margin is 80%.

I bought my absolute maples in 2000 for xxx and after I applied US inflation to it the inflation adjusted price is nowhere near 3k.

The drums look nice and it is great for Yamaha to try to be competitive and move production out of japan. I think the Chinese kits are probably just as good as any, but I will not pay much more than the Tama birch/bubinga or a Chinese Mapex.

At this price range, Ludwig classic maples or even the Legacy is a much better buy.

Yamaha needs to be careful not to price too much brand equity into a product that needs to prove itself first.

Just 2 cents. The kits look amazing, nothing against them

Yamaha needs to be careful not to price too much brand equity into a product that needs to prove itself first.

Just 2 cents. The kits look amazing, nothing against them

Hey, well said. We know you're not bashing. I think everyone here feels the same way. There is no way those prices are 30% lower than previous.

By the way, welcome to the forum...

I am looking for a Birch Custom Absolute 8" tom with nouveau lugs in Black Sparkle. Could you please help me find one? Either 8x8 or 8x7
Maple toms appear often on ebay, but the birch ones are a little rare.

Back