Blue drums anyone?

Laquer blue finishes ... the best ... but rare. I would own more kits if there were more laquer blue finishes ! My 1992 Premier Projectors in Sapphire Blue :

Projector-FullSetup1.jpg

When I refinished my kit for a second time I went with a blue glass glitter.

Good discussion on my part. Its gorgeous.

7705952342_4f3983387c_b.jpg

Some nice looking kits for sure!
Here's a pic of my Vistalites from a few months ago. I've since attached the front head and the bass drum legs.

Attachments

• rsz_6turkki_2013_001.jpg
    rsz_6turkki_2013_001.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,619
Here ya go. Ooops, Blue drums, not blue drummers.

Attachments

• bluemangroup_04.jpg
    bluemangroup_04.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,751
Boy that was a while ago! You can barely reach the pedals!

I've always been partial to blue sparkle drums. The first full drum kit I ever played on was a Ludwig Blue Sparkle. Well, technically, in the 60's, the color was called "Sparkling Blue Pearl".

My newest kit is a DW Collector's Series in Blue Glass. The color is a deep hue, and I get a lot of positive comments about it.

Any comments on how those various blues look under stage lighting? I’m a bit leery of blue, as I don’t really know what it would look like under e.g. green or yellow lighting. I’m worried that it might result in barf-coloured drums.

Any comments on how those various blues look under stage lighting? I’m a bit leery of blue, as I don’t really know what it would look like under e.g. green or yellow lighting. I’m worried that it might result in barf-coloured drums.

I love the way my drum look under lights. I've not noticed any barf coloration, lol, and they absolutely glow under blue, purple and red lights.

I can't find the picture now or I would share it, But I gigged with my blue kit once and It looked great under stage lights.
I was shocked when I saw the pics of the gig.

Then I would have an issue with the lighting director, lol. I do carry a nice selection of gels with me to gigs. In over two years, I've never had bad mixed lighting results with my DW "blue glass" finish. Is it possible, yes, but there are many other drum finishes that I've seen that were down right sickening to the eye.

Dennis

IMO sparkle finish (blue) drums tend not to be barf under stage lights instead they shine nicely.

My kit is DW performance series in Sapphire Blue lacquer finish (discontinued since 2012)
& I absolutely love it to death. Photos dont really do it justice.
(sorry lighting not the best, taken with phone)

Attachments

• DW (3).JPG
    DW (3).JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,643
  • DW (4).JPG
    DW (4).JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,384
I'm thumping the Yamaha "Ocean Blue" Tour Custom Maple. Its a semi-clear lacquer that reveals wood grain if you look closely. From a distance in bar lighting, they just look dark. I didn't buy them because of the color anyway, but the finish has grown on me just fine.
(See avatar)

I'm thumping the Yamaha "Ocean Blue" Tour Custom Maple. Its a semi-clear lacquer that reveals wood grain if you look closely. From a distance in bar lighting, they just look dark. I didn't buy them because of the color anyway, but the finish has grown on me just fine.
(See avatar)

My friend has those. Yes, they really look almost black unless you really shine the light on them. I do like the color though, alot. Sound very good too.

I love my big blue glass glitter Ludwigs.

It's funny, my best friend in high school had a blue sparkle kit, and I hated that finish! lol But something about the blue glass glitter really spoke to me, and I love the way it looks under lights.

Peaceful yet powerful.

I've never really seen this finish before. It is quite nice ... rich enough and not too bright. Is that a finish or a wrap ?

Yes stevrok, the sound is most agreeable. I'm glad I found the snare first though. I have actually played the "matching" snare for this kit in the same size (14X5), and the MCA (vintage clear finish) blows it away.
The Ocean Blue is pretty, but I never see it when I'm playing!

Back