Has anyone bought pro endorsed products or want their set-up?

oneida1

Is there a cymbal or sticks you've bought because a big name used them? Be honest. Me- The 30th anniversary Neil Peart snare and Neil Peart and Carter Beauford sticks although I would like Neils drum set without the electronics. It could easily be transformed to a Beauford arranged kit if need be.

The only thing i've bought with an artists name attached to it was a pair of Chad Smith Funkblaster Drumsticks. I didn't like them all that much and never bought anymore of them.

I bought Gadd's sticks.brushes solely because they are Gadd's. Gladly, I ended up liking them a lot.

Next time I change my snare heads, I'll try Gadd's head combo: PS3 batter, Diplomat snare.

I've purchased an occasional signature product because I liked the product, but never simply because it was connected with a player. And as much as I love Ringo and Ludwig, I've never owned an oyster black finish drum. Not really a conscious decision to not have one... I've just never taken that step.

Bermuda

I have the 7" and 11" Sabian Max Splashes (Mike Portnoy signature) I'd heard him using them but at that point didn't realise they were his signature series and never got round to looking up his specs. It wasn't 'till I heard the same sound on Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" that I looked them up and found out what they were...to be honest I didn't even realise they were splashes at the time (not quite sure what I thought they were) but there we go! These days I'm really a fan of his playing so it's no longer a name attachment.

Sonically they're the splashes that appeal to me the most, very punchy and quite a distinct tone from other splashes I've heard over the years.

Kev

Last edited:
i own two endorsed items. one is a pair of k custom session hats endorsed by steve gadd. they are awesome! i once had a studio engineer tell me they were the best sounding hats he'd ever heard. i also own a "signature" sabian saturation crash endorsed by virgil donati. it's pretty awesome too. i bought both of these things not because i was infatuated with either drummer but because i thought they sounded great.

I've never owned signature products, but I've definitely been influenced by pro players when it comes to buying gear. I've never bought anything "blind" just because some player uses that particular piece of gear, but I've definitely checked something out because some drummer plays that particular piece and I liked the way it sounded.

Never intentionally, however I got a set of Travis Barker stick/mallet combo from a discount bin and I liked them so much I went back and picked up the other couple that were in the bin..

I have a Sand Ride on the way. I'll maybe get the hi-hat as well.
I don't count 'em as signature gear.
Otherwise, I never use any kind of "signature" gear.

I've purchased an occasional signature product because I liked the product, but never simply because it was connected with a player. And as much as I love Ringo and Ludwig, I've never owned an oyster black finish drum. Not really a conscious decision to not have one... I've just never taken that step.

Bermuda

I would love an black oyster pearl kit, it's just a classy look.

Bermuda, why don't you have a signature drumstick? That's a pair of sticks I'd buy just for the name. You could call them "Bermuda Blasters" or "Schwartz Rockers". Sell them with "Put some Bermuda in your groove!"

Other than that I can't say I've been driven to buy a product because an artist uses it. This forum if probably full of guys that have bought Ludwig kits and Paistes because Bonham played them. C'mon! Confession time guys.

Well I use Sabian because Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy use them, plus they are made in Canada. I bought many Paragon cymbals because I like the way Neil's sound, Yes I tried them first, and Neil helped develop them.

I am in the process of buying Danny Carey's signature Sonor 14 x 8 Bronze snare, because it looks really bad ass, I love the sound of his, Bronze is my favorite material for snares, and I really dig his playing.

I guess I am a little pathetic. I figure I am helping out the economy. :)

I would love an black oyster pearl kit, it's just a classy look.

Bermuda, why don't you have a signature drumstick? That's a pair of sticks I'd buy just for the name. You could call them "Bermuda Blasters" or "Schwartz Rockers". Sell them with "Put some Bermuda in your groove!"

Other than that I can't say I've been driven to buy a product because an artist uses it. This forum if probably full of guys that have bought Ludwig kits and Paistes because Bonham played them. C'mon! Confession time guys.
I can say right now that I will never ever buy a Ludwig black oyster pearl kit.

Oh, almost forgot. I'm also in the process of outfitting my whole kit with dice "cymbol toppers" because Jay endorses them. They really open up my sound and bring in the dive bar ladies.

I own a Sabian Paragon ride. I did not buy it because Neil Peart endorses it or helped develop it, I liked the sound better than any other I could find. But I do think it is a cool thing that Neil is behind this line.

I've been lusting after Dave Weckl's 5x14 signature snare. I absolutely love the way that thing sounds on every recording I've ever heard it on. But I can't justify the hefty price tag.

I had an Evolution Ride once. I didn't know Dave Weckl's signature was under the bell until years later and I didn't know that it was his signature line when I bought it.

Other than that, nope, can't say I've ever gone for something because so-and-so had one.

Well, I first heard tommy igoe use a 20in. k custom dry light ride for jazz, and really liked the sound of it so I got one.

I'm considering getting a jojo mayer fierce crash by sabian, because I also recently heard one and really like the sound. He wasn't playing it though.

I have Evolution, Legacy, and Paragon cymbals, but not because of the names on them. I REALLY like the sounds. I also play Benny Greb sticks when I need hickory and Sucherman sticks when I need maple.

I'd own Jo Jo Mayer and Virgil Donati cymbals in a heartbeat, same goes for the Weckl, Torres, Rose, Blackwell, Mangini, and Jordan snares. I just like the sounds.

I just ordered the 24" ZHT ride that Dave Grohl had Zildjian make for him. They don't really position it as a signature cymbal or anything, but I didn't get it because of Dave Grohl exactly, anyway. Being able to listen to something like a cymbal when an artist plays it within the context of their band isn't a bad way to shop.

When I ordered that ride I also picked up the 20" EFX cymbal last week in part to Taylor Hawkins using it for all these TV appearances for the Foo's new album, and me wanting some 20" crashes anyway.

Back