In Memoriam:Some photos
1973-74_rogers_drumsets2.jpg

slingerland_clinic7.jpg

louis_bellson_roll_chart_large.jpg

louis_bellson_roll_chart2.jpg

the_mighty_two_record_large.jpg

down_beat_louis_oct-7-65-1.jpg

Nice!

Great pics, trkdrmr! I love the fact that every pic you posted has Louie at his pure, everyday state of grace. Grinnin', smilin, happy to be where he was at.

Louie Bellson at his best! Just as we all will remember him.

;-)

I was going to post this yesterday, but was too sad to put all my thoughts into words. Many of the posts have covered it by now anyway, but I just had to share my quick story:

I took lessons from Hank Bellson, Louie's brother, back in the early 80's. The lessons were at Hank's house, in a detached garage that was converted into a studio for teaching. Hank is left handed, and so he had two kits set up, one righty and one lefty, facing each other. One day, I go for my lesson, and Louie and Pearl are there, for a family visit! (Hank was married to Pearl's sister, Louise!) So it's the two brothers, and two sisters, just hangin' out. Hank says: "Sorry, I forgot we had a lesson today, I'll have to reschedule you." Louie says, "No, let's give him a lesson he'll never forget." So, Hank, Louie, and I go out to the studio. I never got my lesson, but was treated to the most incredible drum battle as the two Bellson brothers sat on the facing kits, trading licks for my half hour time slot!

I will NEVER forget that! Thank you Louie, may you rest in peace.

This is a great story and typical of the kind of guy Louie was. Make no mistake about it. Louie absolutely knew that he was one of the greatest drummers who ever lived, but he had this uncanny ability from separating the knowledge of who he was with who he was still capable of being as a person. Few people I've ever heard of could have that level of self confidence and still be as humble and ethical as a saint, to say nothing of giving. I have never ever heard anyone say something negative about Louie and I don't think Louie ever said anything negative about another person.

On another light note, Louie liked to tell the story of his final hospital visit to Buddy Rich just before he died in /I think 1987/. He said Buddy was all depressed about perhaps never playing again, and Louie said something like Don't worry Buddy, you'll be up cursing people in no time. According to Louie that comment seemed to uplift Buddy for a moment.

I have to say after meeting Louie once when he was performing here I can also state he was a heck of a nice guy to talk to. I remember reading about him over the years in MD etc...and always being impressed by how he came across. My personal experience of talking with him was the same. He spent somewhere around 10-15 minutes talking with me about playing, various gigs and a show he had recently participated in that involved a big old church which he described in great detail. I just remember thinking "wow what a nice person"...his playing that night was great and his snare rolls during his solo segments involved 'whisper to a roar' and back again with such control. He signed my copy of his brush book that night and I still have it at home. A great person and great drummer.

I met him twice, once after his set at the Circlr Star Theater in San Carlos Ca. He had a band of local college talent and they opened for Benny Goodman who did the next set with the band.
The second time was at a drum clinic at De Anza college. After the cliinic I and about seven other drummers went down on stage and he gave us all some quick tips and showed his stuff. He was a gentleman and has always been my favorite.
The next thunder storm you hear will be latest drum battle between Louie Bellson and Buddy Rich.

Just putting the word out that one of the nicest people I ever met in my early developing years a truly wonderful and very musical drummer and first rate musician has passed. A real true guiding light in drumming is gone....

RIP Louie. You gave so much to music and everyone who had the fortune of crossing your path:

http://louiebellson.info/news.html
I just heard yesterday. Very sad, and I kinda knew it was coming. Louie didn't look too good last time I saw a video of him.
Check it out here.

So now the big three are all laid to rest, Buddy, Gene and Louie. Surly there will never be the likes of any them again. Thank GOD I was alive to catch most of it!!

All of music morns their loss, but remembers their legacy.
RIP
I'd rather simmer for life than be a flash in the pan.
-Bermuda

I had never heard of him until my band director INSISTED that I get a ticket to see his concert after the jazz festival in Greeley that year (1992?). So, I made it an all-day thing and after we were done with our part of the festival I caught his clinic on the afternoon of the show.

I believe we can use the phrase "paradigm shift" here. I was in "full-blown Neil Peart phase" when I saw Louie perform that day, and he left me saying "Neil who?". It's been a long time since I felt that good about having my entire view of drumming turned on its ear like that.

As if that were'nt enough, he made himself readily available to anyone who wanted a picture or an autograph or a quick look at the kit. Curse me for not having a camera, but he signed my concert ticket and we talked about having the same pedals (he was using DW 5000's and a Rogers Swiv-O-Matic hi-hat; I had the same hats and a Camco 5000. I got a charge out of that anyway!).

It was quite a thing for my seventeen year-old self to meet him that day, and above it all, I will never forget what a nice guy he was. That was the best part!

I was kind of hoping this day would never come for some irrational reason. Rest in peace, kind sir.

Mr. Louie Bellson.

Rest In Peace and Thanks a lot, for sharing your happiness and added value to classic drumming.

Keep Drumming In Heaven...

The key and great point about Us, drummers, is that We are united and close world-wide.

Yours faithfully,

I believe that Bellson was the first to use double bass drums.

Dan

He was, he invented the concept. He was also an innovator that liked to try new kit setups. (See roll chart image in previous post)

Double kicks and expanded drum kits that we play are because of pioneers like Louie. He gave the world so much more than just music.

The next thunder storm you hear will be latest drum battle between Louie Bellson and Buddy Rich.
I was holding it together until I read this.
Yeah, I'll be thinking just that, but don't forget Gene Krupa in that mix. MAN, what a clinic.

I'd rather simmer for life than be a flash in the pan.
-Bermuda

This is very saddening news. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to meet him before he passed. I met him at NAMM in Austin, TX in 2007 when I was competing in the Worlds Fastest Drummer competition. I didn't realize he was there until someone had mentioned that he was in the one of the booths. I was shell shocked and made it my mission to greet him as soon as possible.

When I arrived at NAMM, I was setting many WFD records and I didn't scout the area for any prominent musicians at the time of my arrival. When I took a break from it though, I went to look inside NAMM and I came across Louie and was startled. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would meet someone like him. I went up to him and greeted him - he had a big smile on his face. My mother and I had a good talk with Louie about many of his experiences. He explained that he used to practice hours and hours every day in his parents' music shop. He told me what he had been doing with this time and how often he was gigging. He went in detail with his relationship with Buddy which was very interesting to hear as well. I also bought his CD "Sacred Music And Jazz Ballet" when I was there and it's overwhelming to hear him play - it still gives me the chills.

After we explained to him what we were doing here at NAMM, he told me personally that he had heard about me! (through WFD) I didn't know what to say! I just remember being stunned for a few minutes and then having my mother pipe in to avoid the awkward silence lol! I can only remember so much but I cherish the memory for what it was. I'm so thankful for the contributions he made to the drumming world and it was great pleasure to meet someone who was so warm, full of spirit and had such an amazing energy.

R.I.P. Mr. Bellson

Attachments

• n717940429_1387048_7824.jpg
    n717940429_1387048_7824.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,128
My sincere condolences to Mrs. Bellson & Family:

I met Louie several years ago at a drum clinic in Chicago, when I was a teenager. He wrote some practice music and gave me an autographed photograph. This was a great thrill and priviledge for me. I will never forget how kind and down-to-earth he was with all the attendees at the clinic. May he rest in peace. He was an inspiration to drummers all over the world, and his technical skill is unmatched.

Sincerely,

Cornelius Plunkett

Shocking sad news indeed...the passing of a great musician; one of my drumming heroes. With him an era of fantastic music making is gone forever...never to be repeated again.

I was fortunate and blessed to see him perform with his big band live at the Redlands University Music Hall in the late 70s...just before Buddy Rich and his big band performing as well; a truly magical night!
His unique roto-toms solos were absolutely out this world, as were his super-energetic snare "chops" and double bass drum playing--sheer drumming virtuosity!

Right after his band performed I immediately ran to catch up with and meet him. He was as personable and approachable as the way he looked, and that warm smile of his simple melted one's heart!
He graciously and gleefully authographed my concert program leaflet (got Buddy Rich's too!), then shook my hand while giving me a few words of advice--pure pearls of wisdom!

May your soul rest in eternal peace and bliss, Loui!...

-elcid

Back