Used the PDP this weekend

gutenberg

Had an outdoor gig in 90-degree temperatures, so I decided to pull out the PDP X7s since I didn't care if they got affected by heat/sun/etc. (they didn't)
Here's a pic of the setup

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 733
Nice setup! Specs?

18x22 BD/8x10 TT/9x12 TT/12x14 FT/14x16 FT
Evans G2 coated over G1 clear on toms
bass drum has SuperKick II batter and custom-graphic front head

DW 6x14 Collectors Maple VLT snare
Remo Vintage A batter w/Aquarian ring

Sabian cymbals:
21" AAX Stage Ride
19" HH Classic Sizzle Ride w/12" AA Chinese stacked
18" AA Med Thin Crash (from early 1980s)
16" AA Med Thin Crash (from early 1980s)
14" AA Sound Control Crash
14" AA Metal-X HiHats

Last edited:
Sweet lookin rig, What style of music?

Looks like a blast to play.

All British Invasion stuff from the 60s and 70s. The 4-pc. Ringo-style kit is too limiting since the band also does stuff by Cream, The Who, so I choose to expand the kit to get the sounds I need. (My main kit is a DW Collectors in the same config)

I have that Same fan! I got it at walgreens. I might need to upgrade though to something bigger because it's been really hot.

I think mine is a "Breeze-It" or something like that. Wife got it for me at drumbum.com

Actually, it was pushing fairly good air on a day with no breeze at all and temps in the mid-90s.

I wonder if I can get an endorsement with them... ;)

Nice kit. I almost got one. Instead I got the Fs series. Matte finish w/a blue to black fade. Same specs as yours, but the 14 is a tom. I have the extra clamp so it could be a mounted floor. I put clear Emperors on w/a clear Power Stroke 3. I ported the front head 4". I don't care what anybody says, they sound good and they sound big. I have had no issues in 10 months.

Nice kit. I almost got one. Instead I got the Fs series. Matte finish w/a blue to black fade. Same specs as yours, but the 14 is a tom. I have the extra clamp so it could be a mounted floor. I put clear Emperors on w/a clear Power Stroke 3. I ported the front head 4". I don't care what anybody says, they sound good and they sound big. I have had no issues in 10 months.

Exactly. We should be friends. Are you in the PDP group?

My kit's in my sig.

To the OP, PDP for life! They rock!

Very nice kit! I like how the snare drum pops out from the grey drums...like a burst of orange.

Nice kit. How do you manage to play with your ride all the way up there?

Nice, minus the 8" I take it, right? Aren't X7's 7 pc kit: :)

Anyhow ...ok, sorry about this, but .......your'e playing outside, wide open, and you've got moongel on your toms?

Anyhow ...ok, sorry about this, but .......your'e playing outside, wide open, and you've got moongel on your toms?

yeah i did think the moongel is a little much, especially seeing as you don't even have mics on your drums or anything. Most sounds suffer a considerable drop in volume simply because the soundwaves are able to spread out and obey the inverse square law without any reverbarations from any walls or ceiling. I'd have been surprised if the people at the back heard the toms at all.

Nice, minus the 8" I take it, right? Aren't X7's 7 pc kit: :)

Yep, I put Moongel on the toms as they were tuned to max resonance, and it bothered me on this particular gig. Drums were miked, but minimally. With the moongel, they still resonated and sounded great out front -- maybe because of the close proximity to buildings and concrete acting as reflectors. And they sounded good to me from where I was sitting too.
With coated heads, the drums were actually TOO live for my taste.

Ride cymbal is at that height because a.) that's where my hand naturally falls; b.) I've been doing it for years; c.) pulling it too far right of the 2nd rack tom would cause an awkward position of my arm/hand, and even worse on the 2nd ride which would go even further right in the setup.

Nice kit! What are the X7 shells made of, poplar? I've heard good things about them from others here.

I put my ride in the same spot when I've got two toms up.

Nice kit! What are the X7 shells made of, poplar? I've heard good things about them from others here.

I put my ride in the same spot when I've got two toms up.

Yeah, poplar. The original Sonor Force 2000's were poplar shell. Ludwig 3-ply shells were mahogany/poplar/mahogany, and the DW Classics use mahogany & poplar also. Poplar is extremely easy to work with since it's softer than maple or birch.

Back