Photo Shoot - New Setups :)

Session Pro....I have upgraded every thing possible on them, i put pinstripes on the toms with a moongel they don't sound too bad. Ambassidor on the snare tuned REALLY high has an ok crack, and a power stroke 3 on the kick sound ok. I got an absolute steal on them 2 years ago when i started playing and they are serving we well. I wont miss them for some Highwood Custom Drums though.

I can see i was onto a winner suggesting that idea :p

Session Pro....I have upgraded every thing possible on them, i put pinstripes on the toms with a moongel they don't sound too bad. Ambassidor on the snare tuned REALLY high has an ok crack, and a power stroke 3 on the kick sound ok. I got an absolute steal on them 2 years ago when i started playing and they are serving we well. I wont miss them for some Highwood Custom Drums though.

Thanks. Yea, I upgraded everything possible on mine too. I probably invested about 1.5 as much money as its worth over the years. I finally got mine to sound decent with ebony heads on top but I always had stock heads on the bottom, and I had the drums for about 8 years. I could never get the snare to sound good.

Thanks. Yea, I upgraded everything possible on mine too. I probably invested about 1.5 as much money as its worth over the years. I finally got mine to sound decent with ebony heads on top but I always had stock heads on the bottom, and I had the drums for about 8 years. I could never get the snare to sound good.

Yeah the snare is really hard to tune. You have to really crank it up or it sounds really bad!

They come with G1's i think so im going to see how they go. Any thoughts on The Remo Powersonic Bass head? will it give me a nice clicky sound?

Did you ignore my BD list? I wouldn't get a Powersonic. You can put a pillow on a Powerstroke, but you can't (practically speaking) take the overzealous rings of a Powersonic. It would most likely be clicky, though.

Did you ignore my BD list? I wouldn't get a Powersonic. You can put a pillow on a Powerstroke, but you can't (practically speaking) take the overzealous rings of a Powersonic. It would most likely be clicky, though.

I didn't ignore it, but i don't have any mics so i cant but the "gain" or "compression" high so i was just looking at other options. I have a Power stroke 3 and it doesn't give me a clicky sound.

I didn't ignore it, but i don't have any mics so i cant but the "gain" or "compression" high so i was just looking at other options. I have a Power stroke 3 and it doesn't give me a clicky sound.

the way to get the clicky sound is pretty simple. Just tune the kick down as low as it'll go before it starts getting wrinkly. This is how it's done for all the recordings. Obviously the click is a lot more prominent in recordings because it's processed that way (remember i was talking about the advantages of being able to mix each drum mic track seperately?) but you can definetly still hear that click if you listen to it. Also it's a common misconseption that you need to hit the kick with a hard surface to get it to click. This is untrue. In fact i find that you hear the click better with a felt beater.

Yeah, What are the difference in sounds? do single ply heads Ring more?

Well yes they do ring a bit more but the thing is that single ply heads are louder than double ply because the 2 plys absorb more sound energy, bit like double glazing or something. G1+ heads are louder than G1 heads because they are heavier, a bit like having heavier guitar strings.

Also GDU i'm not really clued up on remo heads so i'll take your word for it. I'm probably going with the G1+ heads anyway for an upgrade.

the way to get the clicky sound is pretty simple. Just tune the kick down as low as it'll go before it starts getting wrinkly. This is how it's done for all the recordings. Obviously the click is a lot more prominent in recordings because it's processed that way (remember i was talking about the advantages of being able to mix each drum mic track seperately?) but you can definetly still hear that click if you listen to it. Also it's a common misconseption that you need to hit the kick with a hard surface to get it to click. This is untrue. In fact i find that you hear the click better with a felt beater.

ok so i have tuned my head right down, what do i do with the reso?the same?

That's one nice kit over there. Looks very comfy to play and I think the sizes of the drums and cymbals you have are "just right". You should be very proud to own this kit, but why are you selling it?

That's one nice kit over there. Looks very comfy to play and I think the sizes of the drums and cymbals you have are "just right". You should be very proud to own this kit, but why are you selling it?

Why am i selling it? Well i have been playing nearly 2 years, and i want something different. I was going to buy a Sonor or Tama but then one of the guys here suggested looking at highwood custom drums so i did. I can get the exact sizes i want (i'm pretty particular about my set up) for the same price. I think this is a no brainier as why do you want a kit that very one else has? You can get a one-of-a-kind custom kit for the same price as a massproduced kit. Also with those sizes i have on that kit, its really awkward having the tom as low as possible, I'm 15 and about 5ft 9" so everything needs to be relatively low, but with my 12" x 9" tom i cant get it above the bass without having it to the left of it and i like the snare to be directly underneath it. I bought this kit for £100 so its not the best quality and the snare is hideous

Calum

Back