Acrylic and Wood Drums!!!

Hi,
What is the difference between Acrylic and Wood drums?
I know John Bonham used Both of them but I can't understand why they're different.

well sorry for pointing out the obvious but wood drums are made from wood and acrylic drums are made from acrylic (a plastic-like material)

Both have completely different physical and sonic qualities same as metal drums do.

What's the difference between chalk and cheese?

well sorry for pointing out the obvious but wood drums are made from wood and acrylic drums are made from acrylic (a plastic-like material)

Both have completely different physical and sonic qualities same as metal drums do.

What's the difference between chalk and cheese?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious :).
But is there a difference in sound? Are the acrylic drums more Resonant than wood drums? Are the brighter?

There are many on here that have them. Hopefully they will chime in on the differences.

Yeh, same as the difference between T & A, different but both fun to play with...lol

Anyone knows about FAME drums? They have acrylic drums in low prices
You can find them in this web:

Fame Acrylic Blue
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/...-Acryl-ShellSet-Light-Blue/art-DRU0023483-000

Fame acrylic clear
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/...e-FAP-Acryl-ShellSet-Clear/art-DRU0023484-000

Fame acrylic orange
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/...-FAP-Acryl-ShellSet-Orange/art-DRU0022043-000

I'm thinking about buying one but i never tried acrylic drum sets.
The price is really low, the temptation is enormous but first i'd like to listen a record or video of their real sound.

Anyone had heard about fame drums?

I've heard a few acrylic kits, and I find they sound much more brittle than wood drums.
Less warmth, more of a sharp, bright sound, to my ear. It'd work great if you wanted lots of cut, I'd think.

I had acrylic drums. more Ddrum diode.
Acrylic Drums is characterized by ease of control sound. It has a very subdued low-sounds, and a little less high. a means is audible but slightly behind in comparison to the low and high. and at the same time a much brighter
For me a really good sounding drums. In the studio everything goes smoothly. Bass drum is really easy to record.
There is only one minus, with thicker heads and with a little venting, you can hear those plastic blow, from the heads. (I used super2 Aquarian), but it can be heard when standing near the drums.
For now I have no money, so I had to sell my diode, but as soon as I myself could afford it I will definitely play on acrylic drums.

aha. Acrylics are acrylic. There is nothing to worry about its quality. About whether it was properly selected. The difference between acrylic "A" and acrylic "B" is small as far as can be determined beige special studies.
Please do not write about the monomers and polymers .... residual monomers. I am a material engineer.
Acrylic is an excellent material for drums, but a matter of taste.

I play Zickos drums with blue hydraulic heads. I like the sound of the kit overall, but I usually prefer my brass snare to my acrylic Zickos. Just got back from a mini two day tour with a brass group. I took both snares and usually the brass one (brighter sound) was better but sometimes I liked the acrylic better. It depended on the venue.

I'm not familiar with Fame drums but after looking at the website you posted, they look pretty good. Some positive points are the tube lugs and full metal back up plates. The thing to check is shell thickness. The heavier they are the more durable they will probably be. If you get them, keep us posted on what you think. Good luck.

Of course the German guy plays techno beats. A medium tuning would really help those cut! Sounds pretty good, and at least decently built. I'd have to see one in person before I pulled the trigger. If you do get one, check the shells and hardware thoroughly for flaws.

Back