2nd. Kit - Can't Decide!

Hello all,

I'm looking to get my second kit (Currently Have a Ludwig Accent CS Combo) and I keep looking around at Tama Superstars, Gretsch Catalina Maples, PDP X7, and Ludwig Epic but i've always liked the Ludwig Centennial ever since I saw it and I debate about which of these to get and always go back to the Ludwig Centennial. I would like to stick with Ludwig since my fav. drummer (John Bonham) used Ludwigs and every time I step on a Ludwig kit I am just blown away. Can anyone help for me to decided? Genre's I like include: Rock, Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, and a little bit of Metal. So please help me!

Thanks
GK14

What's your budget? What size kit are you wanting to get? A standard 5-piece or something larger?

I don't think there's anything wrong with any of the brands you mentioned, and they're also roughly in the same intermediate quality/price range. I'd also suggest that Mapex Meridian is in the same price range and they're really well made and great sounding drums for the price.

I think if you really like Ludwig you should probably consider going with the Centennial drums. The new Keystone series also look really nice, and they're actually American made Ludwigs, unlike the Epic and Centennial drums.

The Superstars are the most well-constructed intermediate kits on the market in my opinion, especially since they incorporated some of the hardware from the Starclassics. Solid drums.

My budget is around $1000 US and I'd like to eventually get a 7 piece but I want to start out with a 4 piece to see if I'd be happy with what I've got or do I wanna go 6 piece (2 Up/2 Down) or maybe I wan't a double bass. The Centennial seems like it is the best choice for add ons. I did look at the Keystone but I would be stuck with a 5 piece and the finishes don't help me on the sale of it. Isn't it also like $1500?

Thanks.

Yeah, the Keystones are around $1500, which I figured was a bit of a budget stretch, but I wanted to offer up a Ludwig option that was actually made in the Ludwig factory...

A better option might be to look on eBay for a vintage Ludwig kit. There are several nice used kits up right now that are well under your $1000 budget and if you've been blown away by Ludwig, those have the sound you're expecting to get with the name.

Thing with buying a vintage kit off of ebay is that there aren't many individual drums like a single rack tom. With the Centennial I can get those but I have considered getting a vintage kit off of ebay.

Well it's my second kit so the sizes don't really matter except for the bass drum diameter. Should I get a 22 like I have now or a 24" to better suit the 20" depth. But I hear the 24" is to boomy for a lot of peoples liking. I might just get the 22". It's all supposed to be a learning experience as well.

Well it's my second kit so the sizes don't really matter except for the bass drum diameter. Should I get a 22 like I have now or a 24" to better suit the 20" depth. But I hear the 24" is to boomy for a lot of peoples liking. I might just get the 22". It's all supposed to be a learning experience as well.
having never played a 20X24, i wouldnt trust me, but i can guess that its way to boomy and ringy with no attack or punch. and plus you'll get loads of crap from guys on the forum ;)

Then again. If I go with the 20X22 It'll still be a different sound since it's another 4" deeper than mine right now. I have listened to 20X24 bass drums on YouTube I can get a basic idea I really don't like it. It just seems like there isn't any power. Thanks Fishbones.

Back