Bass 22x18"

The other snare is Ahead Chrome Over Brass and is 13x6"

The Cymbals are
14" Custom Shop Hi Hats
18" M-Series Fusion Crash
22" Byzance Dark Spectrum Ride
18" Mb10 Medium Crash
16" + 14" Gen-X Filter Chinas

I don't generally use the second snare and chinas, I just set them up for fun sometimes at rehearsals.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Sean

Attachments

• DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 3,409
  • DSCF0478.JPG
    DSCF0478.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • DSCF0479.JPG
    DSCF0479.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • DSCF0480.JPG
    DSCF0480.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 1,335
  • DSCF0481.JPG
    DSCF0481.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 1,024
:)
The reason is that I was playing it almost wide open for quite a while and have now gone the opposite way as an experiment.
Its a fairly new kit to me so I do try out different tunings and mufflings every now and then. I freely admit the blankets I currently have inside are a tad excessive but on the other hand I think that purists who only accept little to no muffling are ridiculous. I prefer to try things out.

I have owned a few bits by Big Dog, all pretty great except for the double pedal which didn't quite cut it for me. The throne stands out as extremely comfortable.
I've had the throne, boom stand and hi-hat stand for roughly 4 years now and they have held up just fine.

Hello Sean,
I have thought seriously about getting a DW Performance set (although not sure what color) yours looks great in white! I got a chance to try out a DW Performance kit that a private seller was offering and I was not blown away by the 18X22. I thought it would sound massive but it did not to my ears anyway. This kit was MIM, I understand now that they are made in California. Does anyone know what the differences may be? The kit also had the stock heads on it as well. I really want a DW kit but cannot afford to spend 2-3K on a collectors series. Are you happy with the sound or still experimenting with tunings and such?
sincerely,
Petro61

Petro61,
I am happy with the sound of the kit, its easily the best set of drums I have personally owned. I must say however they don't hold tuning as well as I would like and also the tuning range isn't as wide as I thought it would be.
In my experience so far the kit suits lower tunings better, and sounds good finger tight.
I intend to buy new heads for the toms at some point and will probably go to something like the Evans G2 coated or an equal model from someone else. I'm not sure if I want G1 or G2 yet.

The 22x18 bass came with two small pillows attached by Velcro to each head. At that time the boom was super deep and had plenty of attack. I have since put a couple of blankets inside and have found it sounds great that way also.

The 16x14" resonates till the end of the world. I actually have to muffle this drum as the note lasts so long and is so clear that it interferes with what I am playing for seconds after I actually play it.

I am happy with this kit, I think that for the price it may be the best thing available. For me it was between this and Natal. Check them out too if you are looking for a great kit but don't want to spend too much.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and personal insight. I think I need to try out an Oxnard made kit and give them another go. Best of luck in your playing and new kit.

Hello Sean,
I have thought seriously about getting a DW Performance set (although not sure what color) yours looks great in white! I got a chance to try out a DW Performance kit that a private seller was offering and I was not blown away by the 18X22. I thought it would sound massive but it did not to my ears anyway. This kit was MIM, I understand now that they are made in California. Does anyone know what the differences may be? The kit also had the stock heads on it as well. I really want a DW kit but cannot afford to spend 2-3K on a collectors series. Are you happy with the sound or still experimenting with tunings and such?
sincerely,
Petro61
I play a DWPS as well. As far as I know there is no difference between the kits made in MX and the ones made in CA. All my shells were made in CA with the exception of my 10" tom, which I picked up second hand, that was made in MX. My kit is Ebony Stain Lacquer and the grain doesn't show through on the 10" as much as the rest of the shells. It isn't a flaw, probably just the work of a different painter.

The first time I hit the 18x22 kick drum I was really impressed (but I was used to a 17x20 birch kick). I've used the stock heads and an EMAD on the kick and it sounds great with both IMO. I'm very happy with the sound of the kit, but I'm a fan of that DW sound, which this kit definitely has. It seems to me too this keep begs to be tuned low. I'm above finger tight, but probably not by much.

The stock 6.5x14 snare is nice, but I was never blown away with it. I've haven't used the snare since picking up a brass one, but I need to try it again with a coated single ply and see how that does.

Back