Do you play any other musical instrument?

BassDriver

Silver Member
Any of you drummerworld drummers play any other musical instrument?

My drum teacher plays, marimba, vibraphone and keyboards as well as his kit (sometimes he brings the vibes for a lesson).

He says that the lessons learned in playing vibraphone helped his overall drumming. Example, playing vibraphone and marimba (both pitched percussion instruments) involves precise beater placement, and he said it helps him with his musicality (that plus his knowledge of scales, chords, harmony etc. that unfortunately not many drummers know about).

guitar (acoustic, electric, and lap steel), bass, piano/keyboard, violin, harmonica, still remember how to play trombone from middle school...

and hopefully soon learning tenor sax!

Tenor sax and love it! Lester Young is the man!

I played a little marimba in college percussion ensemble. I also took theory in school, so i'll dabble in piano in an attempt to keep it in my mind.

My first instrument was trumpet in elementary school then moved to baritone. Got a guitar around the same time (I'll still play it from time to time to get basic ideas of songs that I never do anything with)

Hi. Yes I play Guitar and Drum. Both i love to play but among them I have full control on Guitar.I am also learning saxophone.As my hobbies is in Music. I want to learn Every thing..

Started with trumpet, guitar then drums.

Jeff

My mother was a concert pianist.

So I had unrelenting piano lessons from 1st grade up until high school. Then I played trumpet, drums, guitar and a little bass guitar.

I would say that piano studies are probably the most beneficial in anyones musical development, even for drumming. I had to learn time, rythm, scales, melody and hand(s) and foot independence.

I still have that upright piano and I will never get rid of it.

Nowadays, I play mostly the drums, noodle the guitar a bit and when I'm in a "I love you man" funky kind of mood, I start "slappin' da bass"

I started out playing keyboards, got right back into that recently, but mainly use my keyboard as a synth as such. Its got alot of synth sounds, and I cant afford a microkorg.
Took up the drums, Spend most of my time playing them
Developed an obscene fascination with Bass, so I bought one, and really enjoy some jams on that.
Playing keys set me up well though. Learnt to be quite, well grounded in music

I played guitar as my primary instrument for about ten years, and still enjoy playing guitar from time to time.

I took piano lessons for 5-6 years as a young lad. I rarely play anymore, but I can still remember some of my old skills whenever I sit behind a piano or keyboard.

I played in various marching bands for ten years as a kid and teenager. I started off playing the trumpet, but moved up (?) to a baritone horn after a few years. I haven't touched a brass instrument since quitting my last marching band about ten years ago, so I've really got no idea if I can still play.

And of course, since I can play guitar and piano, I can also find my way around a bass and most keyboards, but I wouldn't call myself a bass player or organist.

I play the Harmonica and the Piano, want to work on organ work and I play a little bit of the guitar...enough that I can play rythym fairly well.

Drums and piano/keyboard soon, mostly for music theory and composition work.

I used to play the flute waaaaaaay back in elementary school and used to sing in choirs and lead roles up until high school.

Back