What kind of Yamaha kit is this?

Marc61

Sorry for the double post (this was posted in another thread) but I'm trying to find out what kind of kit this is, and approximate vintage -

The badges all say made in Japan.

Bass Drum is 18x22 model number 88522 CL
Floor Tom is 16x16 model number PT516 GK
Large rack Tom is 10x12 - actually has two badges - one looks like it's just stuc on, the other has numbers
Small Rack Tom is 8x10 model number TT510 GL
Snare is 6x14 model number SO255 (cant see the rest)

any feedback or info on model, year,value is helpful.

Thanks!
Marc

Attachments

• pic 1.JPG
    pic 1.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 708
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 712
  • pic 3.JPG
    pic 3.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 867
  • pic 4.JPG
    pic 4.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 744
By looking at the shape of the lugs and the Yamaha labels I would put it somewhere in the late 80's early 90's. Though I am probably wrong.

Musiqman would probably be your best person to ID.

You can take the serial #'s to Yamaha.com and search and they will tell you what they are made from and when.

Cant beat a Yammie though

Doing searches on Yamaha tour series. From the pics I see, they look similar but, they are saying Tour series would be maple with stainless wrap. Seems like that's the case here too.

my guess is 1990 Stage series. i have a Tour (custom) kit from 1990 w/ the round lugs. the serial badge placement & "resonant" BD head point to '88 thu '92. i bet this kit sounds great.

Last edited:
I also say the stage series late 80's-early 90's, I own a 83-84 tour custom the toms start with a 8(TT-812) instead of a 5 as your kit.

another thing is that the lugs are different your are squared off as mine are rounded.

it was a entry-level kit as stage customs usually are, not knocking them just stating the facts.

Hope this helps out, if not go too Yamaha's website.

Bonzolead

Hey there. I had a really similar kit and I sort of remember that it was a stage series. Late 80's sounds right too. It's strange that Yamaha didn't just print the models on there?!? What's the point of leaving it off? Mine was a birch/mahogany ply combination. Not sure if any of that was helpful.

Sorry for the wait, but I finally had the time to go trough the library.

Its a Power Stage 2 (predecessor of the Stage Custom) drumkit from the mid/late 80's. The only difference is that the numbers don't match with yours.

ps the sizes in the catalog:
22x16
10x10
12x10
16x16

(if it was 12, 13 it was called the PS 1172 set)

Back