Party Drum!!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I've been excited to post this, finally got it tuned up right and mounted on my kit and went to town on it. I may be a little in love. First off, this is a DIY and a half here. The idea here was to make use of this cheap 12" tom I got with a snare stand. Here's the thread on the tom...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66705

So with the help of Kevin from Crazy 8 drums we turned this shy little cheapie rack tom into... The Party Drum!! The idea here was to make something unique and fun using mostly scrap parts. The jingles were from an old tambourine that gave its life for the cause, the paint is a dollar can or spray from Home Depot with a cheap flat clear. The only new parts are the mount, strainer and the brass draw catches.

Kevin would like me to remind everyone that this is in no way a representation of his quality standards, it was more us entertaining ourselves. This baby sounds great though! It's like a timbale snare with jingles on it. lots of fun!

Attachments

• pd 1.JPG
    pd 1.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • pd2.JPG
    pd2.JPG
    474.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • pd3.JPG
    pd3.JPG
    502.8 KB · Views: 1,114
  • pd 4.JPG
    pd 4.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 1,121
Thank yew Thank yew!

KIS, I'll record a jam on this thing when my friend comes up to track a demo. I'll bet I could play a smaller gig with just this, some hats and a small kick drum. As Kevin put it, it's "the ultimate busking drum."

DMC, It's amazing how many different sounds I can get out of this baby. With regular 7a's it sounds like a side snare and gives off a nice high cross stick click and I can slap it with my open palm to get a good defined jingle. My favorite though is playing it with timbale sticks. A heavier strike gives off a jingle and quick, clean overtones and the rimshots on this thing are the bee's knees.

Bernie (I hope you don't mind if I call you Bernie), if you're reading this I just want to say thank you. Got the idea to make this from the forum and made a new friend and "drum guy" from the board. I see many more projects with Kevin from Crazy 8's in the future.

That indeed looks very interesting. Might wanna sell the idea to a drum manufacturer? Who knows, might get you rich.. ;)

Honestly that looks very cool. But if you're calling it a 'party' drum, why the sober paint job?

Looking forward to the sound clips, Red.

Agree with Lex. If that drum's colour represents a party, then it's a party with three librarians in the living room eating cheese and crackers ...

Honestly that looks very cool. But if you're calling it a 'party' drum, why the sober paint job?

Ha! Touche touche. I'm somewhat of an artist on the weekends so I suppose I could either go over it with acrylic or some spray stencils. I've also had an idea to do a collage of beer labels for a while...

I'm also thinking of converting the head into a makeshift jingle head using beer caps as jingles... I know there's an Aussie instrument that uses a similar concept although the name escapes me... Pol?

You need to get a soldering gun, trim down the snares and then solder the end plate back on so you can have the snares the full width of the drum. You could even attach them with two butt plates and no throw-off, and adjust them by hand.

That drum is one of the coolest things that I have ever seen!
I love the whole concept of it.
I know that you will perfect it in time.

Thanks for the kind words Red Menace, and everyone else! It was definitely a fun idea for a drum, and has a ton of potential for all kinds of sounds! Definitely Crazy, and I sure like crazy! :)

So last night I drew up a logo for the drum, spent forever cutting out a stencil and then didn't like it. I do have a really sweet text logo for it, I'll try to slap it on tonight and post some pics.

Hey anything that destroys a tambourine is fine by me. :)
Good job, have fun.

Back