1925 Wilson Bros. Snare drum

KONA

Silver Member
Got new heads tucked on this nice old drum.
I picked it up on eBay a month ago. It was US Navy inventory at one time (USN stamp on the shell).

The drum was in decent condition but the heads were destroyed. I had to tuck my own heads because the drum is 15.25" or so diam.
I went with a Slunk Calf American calfhide (Orchestra grade) on the Reso & a White American Calfhide batter. The original wood flesh-hoops were in good shape so I used them.

The snares & strainer are working good. Everything's in pretty remarkable shape for being 85 years old.

I'll make this drum feel wanted and play it with my 58 Gretsch kit for a while - nice to breath new life into this ole drum.

Attachments

• IMG_6814 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6814 (Large).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_7351 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7351 (Large).JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 790
  • OUTSIDE WILSON SNARE JULY 10 2010.JPG (10) (Large).JPG
    OUTSIDE WILSON SNARE JULY 10 2010.JPG (10) (Large).JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 778
  • OUTSIDE WILSON SNARE JULY 10 2010.JPG (5) (Large).JPG
    OUTSIDE WILSON SNARE JULY 10 2010.JPG (5) (Large).JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 772
That's so cool. I'd love to hear clips of that one..

1) For a second there, i thought you were growin some whacky-tobaccy in your backyard!

2) That's one of the coolest drums i've ever seen! I'm REALLY interested to hear how she sounds.

1) For a second there, i thought you were growin some whacky-tobaccy in your backyard!

There's an interesting story (to me anyway) behind that tree.
I picked it out - one of about 50 varieties - the City was offering free about 15yrs ago. I knew the horticulture value of the tree (bark/leaves/Urban tree) but I had no idea of it's use in making drums!
Fast forward to Sept of last year: I saw a 1958 (advertised as 1960) set of very neglected Gretsch drums for sale in the local Craigslist. I bought them and took on the task of restoring my very first set of drums. It turns out the tree - American SweetGum (Liquidambar styraciflua) that Gretsch used for the inner layers of their drums back in the day is the same tree I have here in my yard - it's the only tree I have in my yard. Quite a coincidence I thought.

I don't think I've ever seen a steel-shelled snare with non-wire snares and wood hoops before. If you can somehow get a redcorded sound up, please do so!

I don't think I've ever seen a steel-shelled snare with non-wire snares and wood hoops before. If you can somehow get a redcorded sound up, please do so!

Some of these were used by the US Navy bands in the early to mid 20's. I sent an email off to a Navy contact last month and that was forwarded to Washington DC I guess. I got emails from some of the Top Brass in the Navy - band & head archivest - in Washington DC with some information about these drums. Great response!

I don't have sound recording equipment - I do have a small Canon camera with Sterio pickup. I could record some rudiments - haha - I guess, but it would not be that great. I could put something on Facebook & limit it to whomever is interested if that works. You'd have to shoot me a request to be a "friend" and then I could customize the video that way. Then - when you're tired of watching you just delete me as a friend......simple.

What??
Did they really make drums out of Liquidambar wood??
My dad owns a tree nursery, and I work there in holidays and on saturdays, and that are trees I don't like to work with so much :)

Bram

What??
Did they really make drums out of Liquidambar wood??
My dad owns a tree nursery, and I work there in holidays and on saturdays, and that are trees I don't like to work with so much :)

Bram

Haha - ya some of them have those nasty prickly balls = fruit & they are very persistent.

Gretsch used the inner wood of that tree for the "inner" layers of the 3 & 6 six ply shells.......my 58 drums have this wood.

Look at the reflection in the chrome in the second pic from the bottom of the first post. I looks like a thin naked woman is embracing a man who is wearing a red shirt and blue jeans.
Weird!
I know, Freud would be all over me on this one! LOL

Hahaha....Oh man, I was wondering who was going to comment on that! I had blue short cargo pant on and a red tank-top tee shirt. The mid-line of the COB shell did a real trip in the reflection. It looks like I have a pretty decent midline hanging down there but it's actually just my tee shirt hanging down - sure it is......I'm kneeling on my right knee and my left (shows me in blue shorts) & you can see my LEFT leg up to my knee..........pretty sexy hu.

I saw it right after I took it but I could not get away from it - I tried.

Don't worry bobdadruma - I had similar thoughts lol

Look at the reflection in the chrome in the second pic from the bottom of the first post. I looks like a thin naked woman is embracing a man who is wearing a red shirt and blue jeans.
Weird!
I know, Freud would be all over me on this one! LOL

Last edited:
I studied the pic for a long time and I just couldn't figure out how the illusion was created.
Thanks for explaining how it happened. It is a great pic!

Weird!

Actually - it IS my skinny naked neighbour girlfriend & I having fun on my front lawn....

I studied the pic for a long time and I just couldn't figure out how the illusion was created.
Thanks for explaining how it happened. It is a great pic!

For a minute there, I was actually scarred for life.

Oh, So You're back with us are you!!!
Good to hear from you again!

That I be for now. As long as I can inject a little avant-gardism into this place then it should be ticketyboo. Anyway, we digress.

That is a killer snare.

Back